• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I read the descriptions but it still makes no mention whether a class B will require a license plate. Just mentions drivers license and has to be registered. I assume the registration is like the one for recreational vehicles? I don't ride one but my co-worker has 2 of them which he lets his very small grandchildren ride all over.

Requiring registration in Indiana is the same thing as requiring plates. They are one in the same.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Requiring registration in Indiana is the same thing as requiring plates. They are one in the same.

Ok. That's where I was confused. I thought it might be like an Indiana recreational vehicle registration that requires decal/numbers but not a license plate. If I'm right, S.Bend was considering that type of registration for moped owners but this new state law will trump that idea.

logain

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    Fishers
    Correct. This law will create a class for "Motor Driven Cycles" A & B. Plates and fees will be required, but no operator license. The rules of operation will be the same as they have been for years:
    • 49 cc maximum (new Class B)
    • 25 MPH maximum
    • no passengers
    • under 18 (?) must wear a helmet

I.C. 9-21-11-12 (and other places) covers this.

Do the police enforce any of this? Not to my knowledge.

New law changes:
    HEA 1343 ? Motor Driven Cycles | Indiana Juvenile Justice Blog

From what I've heard class A will require a test and some sort of endorsment to operate.

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    I'm thinking that if it has wheels and is motorized, it should have to be plated , insured and some sort of operators license. I have to have these to put my vehicle on the road. I'm sure the taxes and fees I pay, somehow pay to maintain the roads and such. Why should motorized scooter riders get to do it free?

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute

Well, my experience in May of this year was different than that. I HAD to register the 5x8 utility trailer that I purchased at Rural King. When the BMV employee asked me, I said that I did NOT want to plate it since it would only be used on my property. She said, oh, ok.

So, I have a title (registration) but no plate for my utility trailer. Not a scooter, fer sure.

Also, all ATVs/UTVs/ dirt bikes purchased for use in Indiana require registration now. No plates available for them, but if you don't have the title you won't get your sticker for the state riding areas.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Well, my experience in May of this year was different than that. I HAD to register the 5x8 utility trailer that I purchased at Rural King. When the BMV employee asked me, I said that I did NOT want to plate it since it would only be used on my property. She said, oh, ok.

So, I have a title (registration) but no plate for my utility trailer. Not a scooter, fer sure.

Also, all ATVs/UTVs/ dirt bikes purchased for use in Indiana require registration now. No plates available for them, but if you don't have the title you won't get your sticker for the state riding areas.

I certainly could be wrong but I always thought that having a title and having a registration were 2 separate things. I could have a title for a car that I choose to just keep in my garage and choose to never plate it, therefore it would not be "registered". I can't claim to be an expert on the applicable laws so I welcome any available information that may be more accurate.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I certainly could be wrong but I always thought that having a title and having a registration were 2 separate things. I could have a title for a car that I choose to just keep in my garage and choose to never plate it, therefore it would not be "registered". I can't claim to be an expert on the applicable laws so I welcome any available information that may be more accurate.

You are correct. "Title" shows ownership and contains information for use in registration...which is separate.

The sticker on ORVs are essentially the "license plate". Again, the title shows ownership, the sticker shows registration.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Ok, I can go with what you say. I did not spend the effort to read up on the difference between title and registration, and I ain't looked at the new scooter law, either. Sweetie's scooter is a 150cc, so by law it is considered a motorcycle anyway.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    At work, we use a temp service for manual laborers when we get really busy. It's funny seeing a bunch of liquor cycles coming through the gate at 0630. Occasionally, one of the temps will have a car, wether or not they actually have a valid DL, I don't know, but the temps with a car are kind of a big deal, and they can charge the other temps for a ride to and from the plant.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    It's not the scooters it's the idiots that ride them. With that said, I support the movement to make them get insurance, plates, and require a license to operate. Can't drive 10 miles from here and not see two kids on one scooter, or even three kids...they don't watch what they are doing and they seldom wear any kind of brain bucket. They drive right past the police station here, riding double, and no one says a word. So yeah, regulate the hell out of them.

BTW...some of the fat boys I see riding these little 49.9 cc scooters could use some time on a bicycle.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yes, more taxes! More taxes!

Actually that would be an ever so slight semblance of the taxes motorists pay to use the public roadways. The more important aspect would be the addition of responsibility and accountability where presently they have little to none.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I fear that the unintended consequences of the new law will be more people who have had their DL suspended or revoked because of DUI will now be driving instead of riding. I'm against the new law. Scooters may bother some of you, but I think that they filled a needed nitch. Do they really need to be regulated for safety reasons or because some people find them irritating?

Top Bottom