• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I'm not happy with Ruger's customer service. Springfield really knows there stuff and CS is top notch..

Haven't tried Ruger CS.
    My experience with Springfield CS has been hit and miss.
    Last thing I did was send in an XD for a match barrel & misc. accuracy work, they didn't even bother test firing. I called and asked WTF when I did not get a test group back and they said they do not check accuracy when they do the accuracy work on XD's :n00b:.
    Have friends who have had similar experiences and communication issues.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    i've had good luck with rulers customer service. i had rust issues under the grip. they replaced the frame no questions asked and paid for shipping both ways.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    With that kind of budget, you've got lots of options.
    What sort of features are you looking for? What's aesthetically pleasing to you in a 1911?
    Aluminum? Stainless steel?
    Stainless? Blued? Bi-tone?
    Extended function levers or stock? Ambi?
    Flat or arched mainspring housing?
    Swept beaver-tail grip safety or stock?
    Spur hammer or enhanced?
    Full trigger or short? Or skeletonized? Or straight?
    Fixed sights or adjustable?
    Contrast? Fiber optic? Night sight?

Figure out what you'd like visually, start picking them up and seeing how they feel in hand (try them all on, just like buying shoes). See how you like the sights/sight picture...go from there.
    Sheesh JG. You talk like you own a 1911 or sumpin. ;)

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    With that kind of budget, you've got lots of options.
    What sort of features are you looking for? What's aesthetically pleasing to you in a 1911?
    Aluminum? Stainless steel?
    Stainless? Blued? Bi-tone?
    Extended function levers or stock? Ambi?
    Flat or arched mainspring housing?
    Swept beaver-tail grip safety or stock?
    Spur hammer or enhanced?
    Full trigger or short? Or skeletonized? Or straight?
    Fixed sights or adjustable?
    Contrast? Fiber optic? Night sight?

Figure out what you'd like visually, start picking them up and seeing how they feel in hand (try them all on, just like buying shoes). See how you like the sights/sight picture...go from there.

With all those options it would be simpler to just walk away and buy a Glock. Simple, basic, effective.

OK, JetGirl, now that we know you are an expert in the field, help out the 1911 rookies.

1. If one wants a 1911 as close to authentic WW2-style as possible, what would it be? What options would one select? Assume that the authentic ones are beyond the budget of mere mortals.

2. If one wants a 1911 close to the original, just a basic model that will allow one to learn to use the platform, and one that will give reliable service for many years, what would your recommend?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    First Gen Kimber would be my choice and was recently. Of course it will be used but in that budget it's always my first choice. I've owned several in the past and every one was first rate.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    If I may make a suggestion, have a steady diet of Ramen Noodles and PB&J's for a couple of weeks, then add what you have saved on food to that $700 and get yourself a Springfield Loaded. As far as shooting goes, that's an outstanding first 1911 in my opinion. Just be warned, all the Springfield's I have ever messed with have been a little on the tight side for field stripping, so it's not the perfect beginner's gun for learning to break down. With that being said, if you take your time and make love to it, you'll be just fine.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If I may make a suggestion, have a steady diet of Ramen Noodles and PB&J's for a couple of weeks, then add what you have saved on food to that $700 and get yourself a Springfield Loaded. As far as shooting goes, that's an outstanding first 1911 in my opinion. Just be warned, all the Springfield's I have ever messed with have been a little on the tight side for field stripping, so it's not the perfect beginner's gun for learning to break down. With that being said, if you take your time and make love to it, you'll be just fine.

I had a loaded and you could literally hear the slide clank on the frame if you rotated your wrist side to side quickly. The gun still shot well and was reliable though, except that the two piece guide rod came unscrewed a time or two (easily fixed with an old style guide rod and a toss toward the dumpster).
    I've got a range officer now (45) and after getting rid of the mim casting small parts (probably just a personal preference thing) and convincing the grip screw bushings that they are supposed to stay on the frame (loctite blue) I'm liking it. Slide to frame fit on the R.O. is what I would call good but there is nothing on it that is fit very tight and it is an easy tear down with no tools.
    I'm guessing that differences in experience are just a manufacturing tolerance / luck of the draw thing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a loaded and you could literally hear the slide clank on the frame if you rotated your wrist side to side quickly. The gun still shot well and was reliable though, except that the two piece guide rod came unscrewed a time or two (easily fixed with an old style guide rod and a toss toward the dumpster).
    I've got a range officer now (45) and after getting rid of the mim casting small parts (probably just a personal preference thing) and convincing the grip screw bushings that they are supposed to stay on the frame (loctite blue) I'm liking it. Slide to frame fit on the R.O. is what I would call good but there is nothing on it that is fit very tight and it is an easy tear down with no tools.
    I'm guessing that differences in experience are just a manufacturing tolerance / luck of the draw thing.

Just a few hints.
    When looking for a new to me 1911 I do the good old fondle it to death check out.
    Slide to frame fit.
    Barrel bushing fit.
    Trigger. Grip safety. Some can be a bit loose in my humble opinion.
    This is why I do not buy guns on line. As Greble mentioned, his loaded was a bit sloppy. Some will come out the back door that way. The next one will be almost to tight to cycle. I prefere the tight one. It is easier to adjust too tight than repair too loose.
    As to MIM internals, I loose them as soon as possible. Hammer/sear/disconnecter go buy buy. This is not absolutely needed as you can get years of use from the gun as delivered. It is just part of the evolution of owning a really nice 1911. Out of the box an RO will have a bit of grit in the trigger. This goes away with use.
    The absolute best out of the box trigger in a mid range 1911 I have felt is an R-1 enhanced. I have one and have as yet to mess with anything beyond a hand fit barrel bushing.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Just a few hints.
    When looking for a new to me 1911 I do the good old fondle it to death check out.
    Slide to frame fit.
    Barrel bushing fit.
    Trigger. Grip safety. Some can be a bit loose in my humble opinion.
    This is why I do not buy guns on line. As Greble mentioned, his loaded was a bit sloppy. Some will come out the back door that way. The next one will be almost to tight to cycle. I prefere the tight one. It is easier to adjust too tight than repair too loose.
    As to MIM internals, I loose them as soon as possible. Hammer/sear/disconnecter go buy buy. This is not absolutely needed as you can get years of use from the gun as delivered. It is just part of the evolution of owning a really nice 1911. Out of the box an RO will have a bit of grit in the trigger. This goes away with use.
    The absolute best out of the box trigger in a mid range 1911 I have felt is an R-1 enhanced. I have one and have as yet to mess with anything beyond a hand fit barrel bushing.
    The R1 enhanced is the best "off the shelf trigger" I've ever felt. :thumbsup:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    OK, JetGirl, now that we know you are an expert in the field, help out the 1911 rookies.

1. If one wants a 1911 as close to authentic WW2-style as possible, what would it be? What options would one select? Assume that the authentic ones are beyond the budget of mere mortals.

2. If one wants a 1911 close to the original, just a basic model that will allow one to learn to use the platform, and one that will give reliable service for many years, what would your recommend?
    I'm no expert...I just like what I like and can talk about them with a little bit of experience.
    As far as your questions, even with the implied budget you can get away with a number of brands.
    It's more the "features" that make a Mil-spec model vs enhanced.

Look at the differences in the trigger, the mainspring housing, the size of the function levers, the sights, the grip safety, the hammer, the serrations, etc. between the following "G.I." (top) and enhanced (bottom) photos...and note that most every company making 1911s has their version of each. Even with an unsightly... *cough*rail*cough*

M1911Colt.jpg

linkclick.jpeg

mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    All of these are great 1911's but if this is your first one I would recommend an RIA 1911, they are great guns for the price and with all the extra money you save you can by ammo and spare mags. They are nowhere near the quality of the Ruger, Smiths, Springers, or other mentioned but I have never once had any type of issue with my RIA Tactical. Just my two cents.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm no expert...I just like what I like and can talk about them with a little bit of experience.
    As far as your questions, even with the implied budget you can get away with a number of brands.
    It's more the "features" that make a Mil-spec model vs enhanced.

Look at the differences in the trigger, the mainspring housing, the size of the function levers, the sights, the grip safety, the hammer, the serrations, etc. between the following "G.I." (top) and enhanced (bottom) photos...and note that most every company making 1911s has their version of each. Even with an unsightly... *cough*rail*cough*

M1911Colt.jpg

linkclick.jpeg

Thanks. It helps.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I have 2 of the 3 Ruger offerings, (they are going to have me broke at this rate) and find that the Cmd shoots a little softer than the full size. The Cmd is my EDC in a IWB and the full size gets out of the house whenever the OC bug hits me. Both have over 2k of my home rolled lead through them with "NO" malfunction of any kind including an experiment with some really short SWC's which cycled fine.

Top Bottom