• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    Best advice I can give is don't limit yourself to two guns to choose from. Borrow a few to try or rent the ones you like the feel of.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I have no brand preference, and have owned handguns from quite a number of manufacturers. Most all have been carry guns as I believe they're just tools, so have never really owned a 'safe queen', 'range only', or 'race gun'. The exception is the Buckmark pistols for plinking and bullseye practice for us.

Try and rent or borrow whatever you're seriously considering, if at all possible. Typically, you'll find one or another that just seems to 'shoot better' to you.

If that's not possible, what I suggest is heading to the gun shop and 'manhandling' whatever 2 or 3 choices you've narrowed down to (in this case, the 23 and the PPQ).

Which one seems easier for you to 'manipulate' (lock open, work the mag release, change mags, etc.)? Which feels better in your hand?

SAFELY (of course) pick a small 'target' (I usually suggest up toward the ceiling as to not offend other patrons) some distance away. Something that 'appears' like a 50+ yd. target. Pick up each handgun and immediately aim at that spot without 'thinking' about it. Don't spend time lining up your grip, getting the 'exact' hand hold, tilt, etc.

One of those, just picking it up and 'snap pointing', will likely seem to just 'sit' right on that target 'automatically'. It will seem just to, naturally, 'fall' right on that spot and 'lock-in' and rest right on that target. Maybe both with be close, but usually one just 'point's better, to YOU.

That's likely the one you'll shoot best, everything else being equal. Of course, you can do this at the range, as well. Particularly if you can shoot them back-to-back. Either way, you'll likely notice one more than the other just hits the target 'naturally' for you.

Why the 'snap point' rather than the longer / slower process of making sure of the grip, stance, posture, sight alignment, half-breath, trigger squeeze, etc.? Of course, we PRACTICE all that stuff, and more, when we're at the range, in a class, and so forth. BUT...

This is a carry gun, not a target gun. God forbid, but IF ya ever need to engage that handgun, it's LIKELY to be in a scenario where grip, stance, posture, etc. all go out the window because of aggravating factors (time of day / night, location, running for cover, adrenalin pump, etc.)

You may well be forced to take that shot under less than 'ideal' circumstances (crouching behind a barricade, FALLING behind a barricade to a sideways prone position, whatever). What you want is a handgun that seems to 'read your mind' and that shot 'automatically' goes exactly and only where you intend it to go.

In that situation, does it MATTER if that firearm is a Glock, or a Walther, or a Sig Sauer, or a Wilson Combat? Does it MATTER if I or the guy / gal at the LGS or anyone on INGO or anywhere else thinks it's 'best', or that you paid $100 or $10,000 for it? NO! It only matters what you 'know' about it and how it works for YOU. Doubtful any of those folks, including myself, will be there at that moment. So, our beliefs are irrelevant. Only your beliefs count at that moment. You need to 'believe' in that gun, internally.

It ONLY matters that it 'automatically' hits the intended target, multiple times if necessary. That frees up your mindset to focus on matters at hand and successfully resolve the situation. Believe this, your mind will be intensely focused on plenty of things at that moment (again, god forbid).

The LAST things you want to have cluttering your mind at that moment is whether your grip is 'perfect', whether INGO thinks you made a good choice, etc. You mind is in 'survival mode' and will do what it needs to do. You want a gun that WORKS in 'survival mode', as well. THAT'S why you're buying it in the first place, isn't it?

Just my own thoughts, of course. YMMV.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I know im going to get both eventually but i need to figure out which one i want to carry so i can start pricing the one and start carrying. my two options are glock 23 gen 4 or a walther ppq. all comments are welcome really having a hard time deciding
    Get which ever one comes along at the best price for you first.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    The best carry gun is the one you carry.

Dont get a gun you wont carry. If that means you carry a .22, carry it...

Figure out how large of a gun you can wear all day and still be comfortable with. Thats key, because if it causes discomfort, you will eventually chose to not carry it.

Also, pick a caliber you can shoot well. If you cant shoot a .45 well, dont carry it. Same with a .40 or a 9mm. Theres nothing WRONG with a .380, or hell, even a .22, if its the only caliber you can comfortably carry everyday and are accurate with. I heard someone once say, the .22 you have in your pocket, is a million times better than the .45 you left at home, when your life is at risk.
    Now, dont get me wrong, Im not suggesting you carry a .22. Carry the LARGEST caliber you can carry all day, and hit accurately with.

THEN, and only then, should you decide other things, like brand and type. I think too many people get a brand name in their heads, before they have the important stuff figured out.
    When picking a brand and type, dont think about how cool Glocks are, or how beautiful Kimbers are. Ask yourself, do you want a mechanical safety, do you want ambi controls etc. etc. Those are the important things. The rest is all in the way to train with it. If you decide you feel safer with a mechanical safety, you BETTER train to disengage it. Also, if your left handed like me, you have to decide, are you gonna let that be a crutch, and demand left handed controls? Or are you going to train yourself to use right handed controls?

There are alot of variables in choosing a carry gun, the LEAST important, IMO is the brand name. Assuming you go with one of the established brands that all make good products.

Last edited:

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    You cant go wrong with either gun both are great choices! The PPQ is just a really fun gun to shoot when I can get it away from the girlfriend. LOL. I to prefer my 19, over the 23 just easier for me to shoot better groups. If you were to get both check out the PPQ with the 5" barrel that is what we have and love it!:ar15:

turner66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    I love my glocks personally but my best advice would be to try as many as you possibly can and find the one that fits your the best and works well with your lifestyle. Also you might come away with something completely different from the two you're considering, one of the nice things about the time's we live in is that there are so many great and reliable options on the market its almost hard to go wrong.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    The PPQ is an excellent gun and probably has the best trigger of all right out of the box with no mods.
    It's easy to carry inside the pants because it has a more triangular shaped slide.
    However, there are not many holsters and aftermarket goodies for it like other guns... like Glocks.
    Glocks are awesome too. Can't go wrong with a 23 or a 19. same exact size gun, different calibers.
    They are extremely reliable and durable, cheap, and the easiest of all guns to get holsters, mags, and aftermarket goodies.... except for maybe the 1911... maybe

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    With everything I have and have tried, I keep going back to my old Para P12. For something light I'll occasionally (read rarely) put the Sig P230 in my pocket. Everything else just stays home.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    I'm not a personal fan of .40, but the compact frame Glocks are excellent guns.

I agree w everyone re: the gun you can shoot well and will actually carry. That said, if the PPQ fits that bill for you, it sounds like you won't regret it. I love mine. The only gripe I have about it is the lack of sight options. If you don't like three dot sights, the Glock may be a better first choice.

Also, don't listen to the holster silliness. If you are going to carry it daily, you should be buying a quality custom made holster to suit your clothing style. Period.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    If you're set on a 23 you really should look at a 19. Balistically it won't matter. Couple more rounds, cheaper to feed and more fun of a gun to shoot. Also look at shield or xds in 9mm. Both great pocket guns and easy to hide. I normally carry a 4 inch S&W 19 or a 5 inch 1911. I can hide them under a t shirt but requires a quality holster and stiff well made belt. You can hide a Glock 19 very well. Don't buy cheap and practice a lot with what you choose. Balistically anything above a 380 is moot. It boils down to shot placement.

Top Bottom