Best Home Defense Handgun - To Glock or Not to Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Also, not sure if others have mentioned, consider putting a light on your G19 AND on your AR.
    At the very least, keep extra flashlights in the vicinity (maybe even 1-2 in the bedside safe with the guns)

Edit to add: I was going to say, don't be surprised if your glocks multiply. If you like the platform, that seems to be the natural way of things.
    Once you've got your self-defense needs covered, then it's always fun and advisable to get a .22 pistol and a revolver in .357 !!!! You'll thank me later :)

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Full size Glock-22 on my hip now and I am just out in peaceful Fishers getting an oil change.
    The gun you need on you if you ever need it, trained to use it.

ret

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hello OP. I didn't bother reading through the pages of replies so if this is redundant - apologies. Home defense...IMO...break out the wallet but do it in stages and it will take the sting out of it. Since so many are "over-penetration" conscious for home defense they may flame the 9mm. Tough to argue with that but ammo selection helps mitigate risk. So, a G19 suppressed with a Crimson Trace Light Guard is a pretty handy piece. If over penetration is something you wish to avoid with a higher confidence level the same configuration in 45 would be a great choice. 9mm advantages (to me) include carbine compatibility (also may use the same can) and capacity... And ammo cost. 9mm GLOCK platform has been good to me. Best of luck.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I really like the glock 19. It is small enough to conceal, but big enough to handle comfortably. I think there is an advantage to carrying one handgun for all occasions. The handgun I cc is the handgun I oc, the handgun that sits on the night stand, the handgun I take training classes with and it's the handgun I would shoot if I shot competitively.

I like getting tons of reps on the same gun. If I had a different handgun for each role, it would mean my time, attention and knowledge would be divided.

Also, since G19's are insanely popular, they are the easiest handgun to find holsters for imho.

hondaCBR

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Indiana
    I am currently shopping for my first 9mm! I think I might be able to help. Last week I rented and shot seven 9mm and one .45.(Before I go on it is important to note my hands are xl-xxl so depending on your hands you may have different opinion.) I will arrange them in which ones I shot best groups to worst groups; Glock 19, the CZ p-07 and h&k VP9(tied), Walther CCP, CZ SP-01, FNS-9, sig P-226,, and the Glock 21(.45cal.) Surprized? Yea me too! The bigger guns I shot worse! (The large guns I couldn't shoot so I will rule them out of this evaluation now). Best trigger (hard to compare double action to single action) best double action trigger goes to Walther and H&K VP9 just slightly behind it. The single action triggers were all good. Comfort goes to H&K and CZ p-07(tie) then Glock 19. In conclusion I am deciding on the CZ P-07 and Glock 19... The deciding factor is I want the CZ! I like the CZ better! I do not like the loud click with each trigger pull of the Glock! BUT, The expensive mags and lack of accessories draws me to the Glock. I do not own a Glock but I will soon. After two or three shots with the Glock the trigger breaks crisp. I can shoot with it and that's what I want

hondaCBR

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Indiana
    Most important quality in a gun is reliability (to me). Second quality I look for is being able to have a solid , tight grip and good trigger are most important for accurate shooting (in my experience). Comfortable to carry and conceal ability are next in order of importance. To have decent capacity mag and night sights are also important qualities I seek. Looks don't matter to me.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Glock 19 - you'll only need one type of ammo for now, 9mm. Then branch out..... from 17 HMR to 30-06....luv them all!!! (would luv to have a 50 cal., but kids have to go to college, later)

hondaCBR

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Indiana
    Oh man the .17 HMR is so accurate it's almost not fun to shoot! I agree Lee! My .17 and my Browning Citori are my two most favorite, most fun guns I own!

UK2K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Things to consider for bedside firearms - what's on the other side of the drywall you might shoot through?? Im voting for G19 w/ a tac light either way..

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Things to consider for bedside firearms - what's on the other side of the drywall you might shoot through?? Im voting for G19 w/ a tac light either way..

This is not a valid consideration. Any caliber that is effective enough to stop a threat will easily pass through drywall. Know your backstop.

UK2K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Have to disagree... put a watermelon 5 to 10 feet in front of a piece of drywall/osb and shoot it with any handgun and then try a shotgun with 00 and slugs. Big difference! It's a fun experiment too. Some friends and I tried this at my place last summer with a lot of different scenarios and materials, something everyone should think about. You are correct though know your backstop especially if one had to aim down a threat and behind them is an occupied room.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Have to disagree... put a watermelon 5 to 10 feet in front of a piece of drywall/osb and shoot it with any handgun and then try a shotgun with 00 and slugs. Big difference! It's a fun experiment too. Some friends and I tried this at my place last summer with a lot of different scenarios and materials, something everyone should think about. You are correct though know your backstop especially if one had to aim down a threat and behind them is an occupied room.

Why not put a baby behind the drywall for your test? Dead is dead, no matter how impressive the melon splatter. If it's lethal, it will go through drywall and still be lethal.

UK2K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    True.. the test we ran was if you were to gun down a threat, where would the bullets end up if it were a clean through shot and would it penetrate common house materials. All I am saying is no matter what the OP decides is best just make sure to run through all possibilities in the house. If one is in a newerror cookiemail cutter house with drywall and foam a small caliber could do more damage than wanted than something a little more stout.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There is no "best" handgun for home defense (or self defense, concealed carry, open carry, etc). There are many makes, models and calibers which will perform well. There may be a "best for you" however. That is a personal decision you should come to based on what you like, what you shoot well and enjoy shooting, what caliber you can get the best combination of speed and accuracy out of.

With that in mind, there is certainly nothing wrong with gathering information to help come to your conclusion. I'll offer a few thoughts...

Anything in 9mm, .40 & .45 will work well if you are looking for a semi auto. There is a wide variety of defensive ammo available for them and practice ammo is generally plentiful and affordable. Handguns are not great at stopping people, they are difficult to shoot accurately under stress typically requiring multiple rounds fired to get the job done. Fast and accurate follow up shots are important so less recoil is of benefit in the absence of a serious commitment to training. They all perform adequately if quality shot placement is accomplished.

If penetrating through drywall is a concern, do some research on .223/5.56. You may find a reduced likelihood of concerns when compared with handgun ammunition. Unlike handguns, rifles are pretty effective at stopping people. The biggest compromises being noise and needing two hands to operate.

Last edited:

KANER88

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    indianapolis
    if you don't go glock then you should go sig, if money is an issue then you should stick to glock. sigs are more expensive. I would say go glock and maybe once you get used to it branch out and try other things.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Go with what YOU, are familiar with, and shoot well .....

Handgun, rifle, or shotgun, it matters NOT .....

I did not see it posted, so I am going to be "that guy" .....

Indiana does NOT have a ccw, we have a LTCH, open, or concealed, that is up to you .....

Top Bottom