Best Home Defense Handgun - To Glock or Not to Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I tend to keep two pistols on the nightstand too. One is my HD gun and is typically a higher capacity pistol with an attached light. The other is my EDC and is kept on the nightstand because the pants I wore during the day are ready to go at a moment's notice should I need to dress and go outside again.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Thank you for this post! ^^^^^^^^^

My wife thinks I am nuts for having two out and ready, but the pants thing is the exact reason I do.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    You're not nuts. I have at least 2 pistols out at all times while at home and an additional AR sitting out in my room half the time. My wife is a stay at home mom and if I know she'll be leaving the house while I'm at work I'll only leave a pistol out somewhere for her in case she needs it. Generally one that doesn't cost a lot to replace if it were stolen like my Shield 9.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Another vote for a G19! Also have a retired S&W M10 on Wifeys side night table.(in drawer). We keep a Moss 500, 12ga as a "rally point" defense gun. I do keep Surefire lights handy, and a couple 3Cell Maglights.

Only had a couple times where I had to retrieve the Glock, or S&W, in 25 years of being in my home. Never fired, but armed and ready.

We live on a dead end street, and cars stop and turn around a lot. When my porch lights go on(sensor), I don't answer the door unarmed.(behind back, or IWB). Friends always call ahead.

Don't like to scare people trying to solicit sales, even though I post "No Soliciters" signage all around. Get off my lawn.(Clint Eastwood's line)

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It's hard to argue with the logic behind a Glock 21 as an HD gun. It is simple in operation, can mount a light and holds 14 big, fat, slow, rounds that are less prone to over penetration that a hot 9mm, .40 or 10mm round might be. That said, my current HD gun is a 17+1 .40. The main reason I like the CZ P09 over the Glock is that the DA pull on the CZ is a bit longer and smoother than the tuned pull on my G21. That's not much of a reason though.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    we keep handguns in the nightstands next to the bed, on her side is a glock 27, my side has a 1911 45acp.
    winchester 1300 defender isnt far away..
    downstairs i keep a remington 870 available.

:cheers:

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Sd9ve in a quick access safe under the bed next to a tac-light. don't feel the need to chase someone down in the house, but if they darken my bedroom door, they will get lit up. Any rounds from my firing position are headed towards the bathroom ceiling.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    It is wise to have the same make handgun for everything, so under stress you`re not trying to figure which gun, and what controls you`re dealing with. Not to mention, Glock has the fewest controls to deal with during a high-stress encounter. And, go with a .45, if you can handle the recoil, it`s a much more effective round.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Since you say you're "very new to owning firearms" and you already have a pistol for CCW and an AR for HD, I suggest buying training before getting another handgun.

But since you asked, I would get a glock 19 before a 17 because the 19 is a solid choice for either CCW or HD--and you can reload with glock 17 mags too. Having said that, I wouldn't suggest being limited to glocks. There are other pistols with very similar controls that might have better ergonomics etc for you.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Since you say you're "very new to owning firearms" and you already have a pistol for CCW and an AR for HD, I suggest buying training before getting another handgun.

But since you asked, I would get a glock 19 before a 17 because the 19 is a solid choice for either CCW or HD--and you can reload with glock 17 mags too. Having said that, I wouldn't suggest being limited to glocks. There are other pistols with very similar controls that might have better ergonomics etc for you.
    I'd venture to say that since February of 2016, the OP has probably solved his problem?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Use the AR15, pistols are for backup or when you don't have the luxury of using a larger firearm. With XM193 ammunition, it's not going to overpenetrate any more than a 9mm handgun will.

I know it's not the answer you want, but it's the honest truth.

I'm not interested in saving my life only to damage my hearing forever. An AR indoors WILL do lasting damage.

It's more important that a HD gun be shoulder-fired (or able to be) than that it have howitzer-like power. Accuracy matters-- especially with just drywall between an missed round and perhaps a loved one in another room.

That's why I think the best HD gun is a pistol caliber carbine, preferably in 10mm or .45. Even 9mm is more than sufficient from a carbine at very close range. (it's nearly .357 mag revolver ballistics from a carbine).

Thus, my nominee for HD gun is a CZ Scorpion EVO Carbine. with 30 rds of 9mm.

Close 2nd, Kriss Vector carbine in 10mm (preferably) or .45ACP.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It's hard to argue with the logic behind a Glock 21 as an HD gun. It is simple in operation, can mount a light and holds 14 big, fat, slow, rounds that are less prone to over penetration that a hot 9mm, .40 or 10mm round might be. That said, my current HD gun is a 17+1 .40. The main reason I like the CZ P09 over the Glock is that the DA pull on the CZ is a bit longer and smoother than the tuned pull on my G21. That's not much of a reason though.

They ALL exit a wall with lethal force intact. There are no "safe" misses in HD.

Top Bottom