• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    From what I understand, the first malls were mostly outdoor centers. I guess whoever owned Eastgate back in the day put a roof on it as I've been told it was originally an open air design. Then for a decade or two indoor malls were the thing. The problem is, all that climate controlled common area made a great place for unsupervised troublemakers to hangout at. I remember when I was younger going to Washington Square Mall after some big fight. Was early to mid 90s I think. The Guardian Angels showed up and a couple were open carrying just standing at certain points. The developers learned their lesson and started to make malls open air. That has to reduce the issue of loitering, especially during the hotter and colder days of the year.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    From what I understand, the first malls were mostly outdoor centers. I guess whoever owned Eastgate back in the day put a roof on it as I've been told it was originally an open air design. Then for a decade or two indoor malls were the thing. The problem is, all that climate controlled common area made a great place for unsupervised troublemakers to hangout at. I remember when I was younger going to Washington Square Mall after some big fight. Was early to mid 90s I think. The Guardian Angels showed up and a couple were open carrying just standing at certain points. The developers learned their lesson and started to make malls open air. That has to reduce the issue of loitering, especially during the hotter and colder days of the year.

You sure it was the Guardian Angels, and maybe not some spin-off group?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    You sure it was the Guardian Angels, and maybe not some spin-off group?

I remember a time in the late 80s or early 90s that the GA sent a group here because of the increased violence in Indy. I don't remember if it was Curtis Sliwa himself, but it was at the least an actual GA group

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Found this from 2010:

[FONT=&quot]After two unsuccessful tries in the 1980’s and 1990’s, the Guardian Angels have begun patrolling the streets of Indianapolis, Indiana for a third time this weekend.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Their last two attempts at setting up a franchise in Indianapolis followed the typical pattern of the Guardian Angels: a grand opening with lots of media coverage, which leader Curtis Sliwa gets most of, and then a burnout due to lack of interest or other reasons six months to a year later.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sliwa, who has previously called his group “a paramilitary organization,” had a different perspective on the first faltering of his franchise back in the 1980’s when he spoke to local news outlet WTHR.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“I actually came in the 80s to speak about the Guardian Angels and was run out of town,” he said. “Might as well have been folks with pitchforks saying, ‘Hey, this is ‘Leave It To Beaver’ land. We don’t need Guardian Angels’.”[/FONT]

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I remember a time in the late 80s or early 90s that the GA sent a group here because of the increased violence in Indy. I don't remember if it was Curtis Sliwa himself, but it was at the least an actual GA group

I don't believe Curtis was here, if he was it wasn't for very long. I read about the group and got in touch with them shortly before I joined the military in 89. They would let people walk a patrol with them if they desired. I went along on a couple. Mostly they walked certain areas, we checked in on a few people in housing areas that were having problems with ex's and threats, etc. Mostly it was uneventful, turned a corner once and broke up a mugging. Interesting experience.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I don't believe Curtis was here, if he was it wasn't for very long. I read about the group and got in touch with them shortly before I joined the military in 89. They would let people walk a patrol with them if they desired. I went along on a couple. Mostly they walked certain areas, we checked in on a few people in housing areas that were having problems with ex's and threats, etc. Mostly it was uneventful, turned a corner once and broke up a mugging. Interesting experience.

See my post above, he at least came here to speak about the Angels..

bubbazap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Happened at the mall in Louisville, KY also. The local news stated that no arrests were made and most of those involved left the mall via the public transportation system.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    See my post above, he at least came here to speak about the Angels..
    I didn't think they were in Indy very long. They had been there for a few months and I left for the Army shortly after.

IIRC, the Mayor, did NOT want them here .....

And they were NOT armed .....

They were trained in Martial Arts .....

I remember they made it a point to NOT be armed.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    When that age the Cops would deliver you to your parents. Worst possible outcome. The worst.
    I'm reminded of a mailbox bashing incident in Hendricks County about 25 years ago. A Hendricks deputy caught one of the bashers and put the kid in handcuffs in the back of his car. The kid lived in Speedway, so the deputy drove to the kid's house, knocked on the door, and s'plained things to Dad. Dad invited the deputy in for a cup of coffee. Dad and the deputy sat at the kitchen table for about a half hour before the deputy asked Dad if he thought the kid had had enough. Dad agreed and the kid was released into Dad's custody. At that point, I imagine the kid thought that he was entering the gates of hell.

Wonder what the offspring of these snowflakes will be like.
    Hopefully, and selfishly for me, I don't think I'll live long enough to find out. I'm more worried about depending on the snowflakes to change my diaper when I'm in the nursing home.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    The wife, daughter, and I went to Castelton Mall today, the security was pronounced and walking back and forth as if by "districts or zones" to each individual. One strolled through justice a few times as if walking up and down the main corridor and stopping off at a few stores and walked back out. One older guard stopped by and was sharing some pleasantries with me while I waited for the girls to finish up.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hopefully, and selfishly for me, I don't think I'll live long enough to find out. I'm more worried about depending on the snowflakes to change my diaper when I'm in the nursing home.
    I sure HOPE you have family or friends that love, or even like you a little, rather than depend on a snowflake to re-depend you?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Happened at the mall in Louisville, KY also. The local news stated that no arrests were made and most of those involved left the mall via the public transportation system.
    Happened last year at the same mall as well. I guess being PC supercedes public safety to a point? No idea what dollar amount that "point" is, but I actually took the time to read the tiny rules at Metrpo..whatever they call it today, and it states NOTHING about carrying weapons, but it clearly states, if you are under 18, you are to be accompanied by a parent or guardian? My new shopping hell, I can carry a weapon, and they shouldn't say anything, unless my guardian isn't present!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The 1st shopping center I remember was the open air "Eagledale" strip mall.
    It was 1 of if not the 1st in the city. It set standards for what followed.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The 1st shopping center I remember was the open air "Eagledale" strip mall.
    It was 1 of if not the 1st in the city. It set standards for what followed.

My first job was at the Greenwood Park mall when it was open air (Gallenkamp Shoes). It was kinda cool I thought. And I grew up (and still live) right near Southern Plaza shopping center (also worked at the Gallenkamp that was there back then). :)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We haven't lived in the Elkhart county area for too long, but during that time, we saw the Pierre Moran Mall die. The Concord Mall is nearly dead. The UP Mall in Mishawaka is still nice, but you can see it's future. they had some type of event this year with similar troublemakers. So that element will take over and the folks that spend money will once again flee elsewhere or online.

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    We haven't lived in the Elkhart county area for too long, but during that time, we saw the Pierre Moran Mall die. The Concord Mall is nearly dead. The UP Mall in Mishawaka is still nice, but you can see it's future. they had some type of event this year with similar troublemakers. So that element will take over and the folks that spend money will once again flee elsewhere or online.

Concord has announced they want to convert to an island type shopping center ala Pierre Moran.

Top Bottom