• actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Because it's a win win scenario.

Best case scenario you rob everyone, make a ton of money, and get away. Worst case scenario you get no money, get locked up, do a couple years of hard Marion county probation where probation violations are non existent, sue the police for being too aggressive or having bad breath or whatever, then get thousands from the city who settle out of court. Regardless of the scenario you get money with no punishment, and are able to do it all over again! Then you get to reproduce making several dependent deductions that carry on your awesome legacy exponentially into the future.

"You've been here before, haven't ya?"
    [video=youtube;wk7fYBw6PfQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk7fYBw6PfQ[/video]

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I still cannot fathom why an individual would risk 20 years of their life, for 300 dollars.... actually 100 dollars since it would be split 3 ways.

Robbery? Almost always high.

In 20 years I've yet to have a robbery where the guy(s) were sober, to my memory.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I still cannot fathom why an individual would risk 20 years of their life, for 300 dollars.... actually 100 dollars since it would be split 3 ways.

I actually spoke to someone about that very topic one day and he told me (paraphrased) That's how we role in the 'hood, you live your life for now because 5 minutes from now isn't guaranteed!

Not sure how you'd respond to that.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Keep in mind also that a more than significant quantity of robberies are drug rips in bad neighborhoods that are either never reported or have "less than cooperative" victims. A lot of guys seem to get the idea that robberies are easy money since this is where they start out and there is almost never a legal consequence.

That thinking tends to bleed over, especially when high...

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Even Murder. "Oh, I was so high I don't remember so I can't be guilty."

I've seen that defense work in Marion county. The jury felt that since Vic/def were at a bar drinking that neither could be responsible for their actions. The guy got released and killed a 19yr old right after.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I have a question based on thread discussion .. If you are in an establishment that does have signs posted & something happens where you end up drawing your weapon or maybe using it, what would be the possible consequences for you above the normal defense of my life or another stories that we're told justifies use. I wasn't supposed to have been there with a weapon ,so I suspect law suit city by someone which could include the proprietor / the other patrons / the (living) thief / the dead thief's family, you name it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have a question based on thread discussion .. If you are in an establishment that does have signs posted & something happens where you end up drawing your weapon or maybe using it, what would be the possible consequences for you above the normal defense of my life or another stories that we're told justifies use. I wasn't supposed to have been there with a weapon ,so I suspect law suit city by someone which could include the proprietor / the other patrons / the (living) thief / the dead thief's family, you name it.

For a case to have merit, the person bringing it has to have "standing", meaning they had to have suffered a harm. The thief or his family, perhaps. The proprietor? They might have grounds to sue for patching bullet holes in the wall or carpet cleaning fees, but not solely for you drawing your gun that you weren't theoretically allowed to have there. The other patrons? Maybe someone had a brief case of tinnitus (ringing in the ear) from the gunfire, but I doubt that would be enough of a harm to sue over. There is always the matter of a countersuit, too, given that they've now identified themselves as having committed the crime, and your loss of time and property, not to mention now legal fees to defend yourself a second time (in court) are a demonstrable loss that the perp has all but admitted to causing.

The only thing that makes these low-lifes continue with the lawsuit route is that most of us are above-board enough that we don't try to become independently rich on the backs of others.... that, and the fact that some lawyers will take a case like this on contingency, meaning they only collect if they win- a plus for either the family or the low-life him/herself, who would not have been committing a robbery if they had money. You may win a judgment, but collecting the cash is another matter entirely.

Usual disclaimers apply: I am not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV, I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and this is not legal advice. Use only as directed. Consult a licensed attorney for definitive answers. Consult a physician immediately for an erection lasting more than four hours. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six, but those 12 could still be morons. Do not take with grapefruit juice. .raeppa yeht naht resolc era rorrim ni stcejbO. Caution: Hot! Batteries not included. Serving suggestion only. Presenter is an unpaid, non-attorney spokesman. No warranty is implied. God bless America, and vice versa!

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom