Buddy of mine help police catch felon after thief wrecks during chase..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Chalk one up for the good guys. We need more news stories like this. The daily murders in Louisville sure don't help our cause.

Joe Silvertip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    New Albany
    Greetings Folks:
    My first post here after Indiucky got me to sign up. Thanks for all of the supportive comments on wrapping up that half-wit who was going to steal my car last weekend. If you've missed the Wave3 news story, here's the link to the interview: Homeowner holds alleged thief at gunpoint during burglary - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports . Now, I wasn't too happy with the edits, since they left out the quote from Indiana's Constitution: "The right of the people to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the defense of the State shall not be infringed." Not that there was ever a real argument in the 2nd Amendment as to who the "militia" might be, but Indiana avoided using that term. I also quoted the home defense statute that (more or less) a person may use deadly force if they reasonably believe that force is necessary to terminate or prevent an unlawful entry of or attack upon their dwelling or curtilage. So, curtilage is the area around your home, including, like at my place, a detached garage. I had hoped the Wave3 folks would want to do a little educating, but they stuck to the "sensational" part rather than adding the legal end of it. Looking forward to trading notes with everyone here. Thanks

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Greetings Folks:
    My first post here after Indiucky got me to sign up. Thanks for all of the supportive comments on wrapping up that half-wit who was going to steal my car last weekend. If you've missed the Wave3 news story, here's the link to the interview: Homeowner holds alleged thief at gunpoint during burglary - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports . Now, I wasn't too happy with the edits, since they left out the quote from Indiana's Constitution: "The right of the people to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the defense of the State shall not be infringed." Not that there was ever a real argument in the 2nd Amendment as to who the "militia" might be, but Indiana avoided using that term. I also quoted the home defense statute that (more or less) a person may use deadly force if they reasonably believe that force is necessary to terminate or prevent an unlawful entry of or attack upon their dwelling or curtilage. So, curtilage is the area around your home, including, like at my place, a detached garage. I had hoped the Wave3 folks would want to do a little educating, but they stuck to the "sensational" part rather than adding the legal end of it. Looking forward to trading notes with everyone here. Thanks
    Many TV stations would rather their news articles sell advertising than state the facts or attempt to educate the listeners.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Greetings Folks:

Welcome!:welcome::welcome::welcome:

I am very glad that everything worked out well for you. It is very important that people understand the 7th rule of Peel "...that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police;..."

Too often people forget that law enforcement is everyone's responsibility, and you Sir did your part extremely well. Thank you.

Regards,

Doug

Joe Silvertip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    New Albany
    Let me just fill in a few gaps in the story while I'm at it, since this is a gun forum, not a beauty contest. I talked to my neighbor and knew there was a bad guy in the neighborhood, so I got the kids up to the upstairs bedroom and loaded up my HK/Benelli Mod. 121 with eight Federal Truball 1 oz. slugs (seven in the tube). Mind you, this is the fastest firing semi-auto 12 ga. out there, and I can get off eight shots in under 2 seconds. And, The Federal stuff is not the LE "low" recoil load at 1350 fps . . . it's the hunting load that runs 1600 fps. The .44 Special was just in case that was not enough (nine elephants in the garage?). So, when I got to the door, I saw my wife driving down the driveway, and I put the Benelli behind the door thinking she'd believe I was overreacting if I came out toting the Big Stick. A mistake I'll never make again. So, I had the Charter going into the garage and I do believe the half-wit would have moved a lot quicker out of the car and on to the floor had he been staring down the Big Stick instead of the shorty .44 Special. Peace the Old Fashioned Way means overwhelming force. Turns out the .44 Special was enough, since the guy eventually moved when I made it clear being shot was imminent. The side note on the Charter is that it is now back in the drawer. I've returned to carrying my S&W 629 Trail Boss, 3" barrel, Magnaported 6 shot, which Indiucky (Cheers, Pal) is responsible for supplying me with a few years ago. That's a backup to my custom 5" 629-2, also Magnaported, which doesn't fit that well down the front of my pants. The TB is stuffed with Speer Gold Dot 200 grain Short-Barrel .44 Mag's, which is the same bullet as the .44 Special load, only it runs 1150 fps+ rather than around 850 fps. I'd rather have had the TB in the garage, if not the Benelli. At some point, I'll post a few notes on the wet newspaper/water jug tests I've done on these loads, the .44 Silvertip I still carry in the 5" 629-2, and several .45 ACP +P loads I've played with.
    S&W .44 Trail Boss.jpg H&K Benelli Mod. 121.JPG 143.jpg

Thanks, Joe

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Greetings Folks:

Welcome to INGO from Mitchell!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've returned to carrying my S&W 629 Trail Boss, 3" barrel, Magnaported 6 shot, which Indiucky (Cheers, Pal) is responsible for supplying me with a few years ago.

I hear she misses me...:)

Joe is a fine shot....As he starts to post here I am sure he will tell stories about placing pretty high up in the FOP matches with a .44 magnum which earned him the moniker "Dirty Harry" from the local LEO's he competed against....Maybe he will tell about a prisoner transfer to New York where the plane got diverted to Canada and he and the LEO transporting the guy kind of went "Ru Ro Shaggy" when they realized they were in foreign country where those Hoosier badges don't mean much.....

Joe and I's favorite shooting is with our K 22's at my place or his....We act like we are not keeping score on our hits on those little steel plates when we both know we are...(We run about neck and neck but only because I have spent the last 1 1/2 years double action shooting only with my K 22's every weekend...Two years ago that would not have been the case...)

Welcome to the forum brother...Many good people here...You have met some of the folks here on INGO at the shop...What's nice about INGO is you don't have to have met someone face to face to feel a kinship or a bond with them...It truly is a community of good folks....

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Welcome to the forum.
    Any friend of Indiucky is a friend of................

Good job on handling the bad guy.

Hey Joe,

This is the guy who convinced me MIM parts on a Smith and Wesson where nothing for me to worry about...I wanted him to be wrong but Bosshoss convinced me...Plus if you ever want to feel a d/a trigger on a Smith that makes you feel all giddy and gushy????

Bosshoss is your man.....A gunsmith/turkey killing/turkey tick hating machine par excellence......

And he's got a really cool wife.....She's a gunny girl...:)

Joe Silvertip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    New Albany
    See, Indy up there already knows I'll have to tweak some details he's torqued around a bit, since he's an attorney and all . . . . LOL. No time for stories today, but several guys on the City Police Department did call me "Harry" as a way of giving me serious HE'S-AN-IDIOT grief, not praise, for carrying the 629-2, which was a 6" back then. That did change. No, I wasn't allowed to shoot it at the 1986 State FOP Match and had to shoot an L-Frame Dutch-Hammered thing in .38 spl. I'd never even touched. Yeah, we got diverted from Rochester to Toronto, land of no handguns (we had some 'splainin' to do), on our way to pick up a guy who'd shot his wife 5 times in the back accidentally in self-defense. Yes, I have a K-22 that was my Uncle's and Rick can certainly outshoot me double action with his little buddy. No, the 629 TB does not miss Indy sorry to say . . . I was the first one to pull her trigger with a full cylinder and she's never looked back. More on these and other stories at a later date. I'll be at Indy's shop tomorrow if he's open around 10-11.

Thanks all for the welcoming comments.

Joe

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    since this is a gun forum, not a beauty contest.

Say what now?

I have been deceived!

Yes, I have a K-22 that was my Uncle's and Rick can certainly outshoot me double action with his little buddy.

You are likely bored with it by now, correct? You may want to trade off. Perhaps a fine Walther 9mm that someone won at a Friends of the NRA banquet and still has in one of the safes.

Joe Silvertip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    New Albany
    LOL . . . hey, Kirk, uh, let me get back to you on that K-22, maybe next year? The squirrels on my feeder are passing the hat so you can offer me some money (the hat isn't big enough), and sorry to say I will probably never own a 9mm, so save that Walther for a rainy day.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    First, I find it hard to believe Indiucky has friends.
    Are we sure this isn't a shill account?

:)

Next, welcome to the forum Silvertip.

Finally, interviews tend to be long.
    Air time/Print space tend to be short.
    They collect footage, then edit edit edit edit edit

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    He's a lawyer and felt confident enough to say he said the three count twice on local TV and not worry about it...Maybe your right but Garrett didn't seem worried at all while being interviewed about it....

Homeowner holds alleged thief at gunpoint during burglary - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports
    He'd have probably been well within his rights to shoot the guy. How fast can a punk pull a concealed weapon and do the homeowner before he can blink an eye?

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Greetings Folks:
    Welcome to the site, Joe. Very interesting story. Just one question though; why didn't the cops offer you a donut?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom