• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coach3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Thanx

Won't be around your area as I am a SW Pennsylvania guy... Thanks for all your assistance. If the angle braces are just 45 degree cuts it shouldn't be much of a problem to figure out. I was wondering what the spread was on the front posts, for starters (in inches)? I can take it from there.

Sorry for my lack of expertise in the computer realms but I am still attached to my yellow legal pads and graph paper for layout work.

Sincerely,

Dave the Dinasour

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Won't be around your area as I am a SW Pennsylvania guy... Thanks for all your assistance. If the angle braces are just 45 degree cuts it shouldn't be much of a problem to figure out. I was wondering what the spread was on the front posts, for starters (in inches)? I can take it from there.

Sorry for my lack of expertise in the computer realms but I am still attached to my yellow legal pads and graph paper for layout work.

Sincerely,

Dave the Dinasour

Dave,
    I went out and took some measurements of the end of the bench and a picture. See if this provides the information you want.

25qrhqe.jpg

Have fun building and shooting!

LMW

coach3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Thanx!

That was exactly what I was looking for... I dug up enough materials under my barn, today, to complete the project and even found a couple of old pieces of cut stone to use as a top. I hope to get started in a week or so. I appreciate all of your assistance and the high tech graphics.

Dave

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    That was exactly what I was looking for... I dug up enough materials under my barn, today, to complete the project and even found a couple of old pieces of cut stone to use as a top. I hope to get started in a week or so. I appreciate all of your assistance and the high tech graphics.

Dave

That sounds really interesting...a stone top.

When you get done, please post a couple pictures of the bench! (If you don't feel up to the computer challenge of posting pictures, send me a PM and you can send the pictures to me via email and I'll post them for you.)

exelh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Nashville
    I built one that extends from the tailgate of my truck. I have a shell on the truck bed so cartridges eject into the truck bed! no picking up brass, just sweep them out of the truck!

coach3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Finally got around to building the bench I've been after. Combined some elements from your design and some from the Horst and Mann site. Couldn't ask for better success. Thanks for taking the time to nurse me along through the process. Looking forward to doing some shooting from a quality platform.

All my best,

Dave

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Finally got around to building the bench I've been after. Combined some elements from your design and some from the Horst and Mann site. Couldn't ask for better success. Thanks for taking the time to nurse me along through the process. Looking forward to doing some shooting from a quality platform.

All my best,

Dave

Great news!

By chance, do you have a picture of it?

LMW

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    New Castle
    In the past, when I’ve wanted to sight-in a firearm, I’ve used a small wooden table or the back of the 4-wheeler. The height wasn’t right and it made the sighting-in process less enjoyable.

So I decided to build a simple wooden shooting bench and stool. It was modeled after the benches at the Atterbury shooting range. (Thanks to joslar15 for the pictures!)

Here are pictures of the bench I built. I decided to have a separate stool so I could move it around where I wanted it and to reduce the weight of the main bench. (It’s still pretty heavy!)

13z0t3m.jpg

2yv8i1y.jpg

poqrp.jpg

Overall dimensions of the bench and stool.
    258crpe.jpg

Here is a pic of the underside to show how it was built.
    2vkkzyq.jpg

The bench is made of treated lumber and is a fairly simple design. The pictures show the overall dimensions and how the pieces go together. I opted for the three leg design because the table will sit on the ground and will be moved from place to place. The three legs won’t rock even if the ground is uneven. (The extra 4x4 angle bracing is overkill that I added to appease my engineering OCD tendencies.)

After it sits outside for a few weeks to dry completely, I plan to stain it with a wood stain/preservative like you would put on a deck.

I estimate the materials cost to make the basic bench and stool to be approximately $70. The stain/sealer is about $15. The extra bracing is about $13.

In its first use last weekend, it was very comfortable and I enjoyed having enough tabletop space for my shooting stuff and still have room for a small spotting scope!

I worked from a hand sketch so I don’t have drawings. If you are interested in building one of your own and you need more information than the pictures, contact me here on INGO.

Looks good looks like the ones at the Wilbur Wright range

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I have been eyeballing this for awhile! My son and I shoot at the farm quite a bit and usually off lawn chairs and a folding bench....less than desirable to say the least.

Were going to knock out this project today.

A quick question: The legs on the stools, you cut them on an angle, to a point? Or did you leave a flat portion?

Thanks for sharing your design!

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Great bench

Just what I've been looking for. This is really inspiring. I'm building a 100 yard range in the back. Currently building the shelterhouse. This shooting bench will go great in it. Thanks lovemywoods. +1

Top Bottom