• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    A quick question: The legs on the stools, you cut them on an angle, to a point? Or did you leave a flat portion?

The legs have a 45 degree cut that is about half way across the board that makes the foot. For the 2x6 boards, it would be flat for about 2.75" and then angled. The smaller foot makes the stool less 'rocky' particularly when the ground is hard. The flat part still makes sure the leg doesn't dig in when the ground is softer.

You might be able to see the leg in the lower righthand portion of this photo.

2qthhme.jpg

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I just got directed into this thread. Very nice work there! Mainly I just want to tag it for future reference when I build a bench soon.

Thanks for taking the time to post up the dimensions and what not.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    The legs have a 45 degree cut that is about half way across the board that makes the foot. For the 2x6 boards, it would be flat for about 2.75" and then angled. The smaller foot makes the stool less 'rocky' particularly when the ground is hard. The flat part still makes sure the leg doesn't dig in when the ground is softer.

You might be able to see the leg in the lower righthand portion of this photo.

First off: This is about the best semi-portable bench I've seen. Great blend of utility and function along with some artistry in the radius on the corners as well as the cut out handles for the stools.

Thank you for sharing your design!! My son and I had a great time building this on a blustery Sunday afternoon.

I had cut the legs on a 30% bevel and left 2.5" flat before I got home and read this post. But I guessed close!

Here is my attempt:

Bench1.jpg

I do have a loader I could use to move it, but when I'm mowing and only want to move it enough to get grass cut, I thought wheels would be nice. Was going to put an axle and some light weight wheels on it, but spotted these 8" ones with brackets instead. Will work fine for the area I'll be moving it in. The wheels stick out in front, but hopefully they won't be a tripper.

If you are looking closely: I thought I'd try a 3 legged stool as seen in the pic. That failed as it was too tipsy, so I scrapped that idea and went with the 4 legs. On top there is another stool to be assembled. Need to cut the handles into the stools yet.

Easy to pick up and roll now like a wheel barrow, but not easy enough! So I made a handle, now I can move it with my arm out stretched:

bench2.jpg

Also, I remembered I had a Kreb jig for pocket holes. That's the goofy oval looking slots on the side of the table top support. Screws go up from underneath and there's no screw heads on the bench top.

The Handle was made from (2pcs) 1 1/4X 1/4 thick bar 18" long with a piece of 3/4" ID pipe welded between. Lag screws attach it. Folds down when not in use.

bench3.jpg

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Very nice job on building the table. I also like the enhancements you've added to make the table work even better for you! :yesway:

Also, kudos to you for having a father-son project.

After the table ages a few months, I suggest some weather-proof finish or deck sealant.

Now go send some lead downrange with your son! :ar15:

Top Bottom