• ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    IMG9544751890260240.jpg

I really don't know any details, so give me your best guess. This isn't mine, it belongs to a coworker.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Is that a split in half upper receiver? Seems even a double charge or squib plus a follow up wouldn't do that. On two occasions I have seen someone fire a squib/short round, not realize there was a bullet stuck in barrel and fire a follow up. Both times the bolt blew back and the magazine blew out.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Is that a split in half upper receiver? Seems even a double charge or squib plus a follow up wouldn't do that. On two occasions I have seen someone fire a squib/short round, not realize there was a bullet stuck in barrel and fire a follow up. Both times the bolt blew back and the magazine blew out.

Yup, that's an upper.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Most of the time a 556 can not be double charged due to case capacity. I say most of the time, because I don't THINK its ever possible if you you use the right powder, but Im sure someone could prove me wrong.

If I were a betting man I would say one got stuck and another came in behind it.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Metal fatigue.

Now, if a squib, over-powder charge or something contributed to that, it's hard to tell from that single photo.

But anything explosive enough to blow apart the actual metal would've been powerful enough to kill the person holding it. Since there was no mention of a decedent, a reasonable conclusion is metal fatigue perhaps exacerbated by a squib load, etc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Possible charge level or squib round but the upper should not have come un-glued like that. Must have been a poor casting....Make of upper?????

Top Bottom