• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have seen a couple of guns split like that in the lever gun world. Most were overcharged rifle cartridges loaded with fast burning pistol powder and very heavy for caliber bullets. Most looked like bugs bunny got the better of Elmer Fudd.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I am going to guess that the first round didn't have powder, just primer, and stuck the bullet before it cleared the chamber. Then the next round in had the bullet shoved back into the case by either the initial impact with the squib, and/or a bump of the charging handle if the bolt didn't close completely. The set back bullet sitting behind a squib, could cause enough chamber pressure to cause the kboom.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have seen a couple of guns split like that in the lever gun world. Most were overcharged rifle cartridges loaded with fast burning pistol powder and very heavy for caliber bullets. Most looked like bugs bunny got the better of Elmer Fudd.

A buddy of mine had an AR blowout similar to this and he realized he had loaded pistol powder into his 5.56 reloads. He swore his ex-wife tried to kill him by switching them out.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    AKs don't do that. :smileak:

Until they do. :eek:

LiveLeak.com - Allah does not Approve

I saw one firsthand back around 2006. A customer at the shop brought back a WASR-3 he had purchased from us. On its inaugural range trip, he experienced what I believe to be an out-of-battery ignition or case-head separation using Lake City 5.56 ammo (not sure of bullet wt, or if it was first-quality stuff or the XM). According to the customer, the shot immediately before cycled fine, then the next shot, BOOM! Damage to the gun included: extractor and spring were blown out, the right side of the receiver was bulged at the chamber/trunnion area, the bolt carrier partially jumped its rails and was jammed shut, the rear sight was blown up to the 90-deg position and was twisted, and the topcover was bulged and blown off (hit the customer in the face). The magazine (Weiger 30rd) appeared to be unharmed and the barrel did not look obstructed. No fired case or remnants thereof were recovered. Customer was uninjured save for a little scrape where the topcover hit him, and some slight redness on his support hand from powder burns. Unfortunately, I did not have a camera handy to take pics. :(

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    In rocketry it's called a CATEX. Kaboom wiley. I have to admit that it looks better blowed up in a closet than laying in a jungle with a cleaning rod in it where the former use was trying to eject the last fired round...

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I would say it was not an out-of-battery situation. It looks like the bolt is still locked into the receiver. If it was out-of-battery, the bolt would not be locked in place and the bolt and carrier likely would have slammed to the rear, doing massive damage to the lower. By looking at the position of the extractor channel in the bolt, it's definitely in a locked position in the upper. My guess would be a squib load, followed by a full-power round.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Until they do. :eek:

LiveLeak.com - Allah does not Approve

I saw one firsthand back around 2006. A customer at the shop brought back a WASR-3 he had purchased from us. On its inaugural range trip, he experienced what I believe to be an out-of-battery ignition or case-head separation using Lake City 5.56 ammo (not sure of bullet wt, or if it was first-quality stuff or the XM). According to the customer, the shot immediately before cycled fine, then the next shot, BOOM! Damage to the gun included: extractor and spring were blown out, the right side of the receiver was bulged at the chamber/trunnion area, the bolt carrier partially jumped its rails and was jammed shut, the rear sight was blown up to the 90-deg position and was twisted, and the topcover was bulged and blown off (hit the customer in the face). The magazine (Weiger 30rd) appeared to be unharmed and the barrel did not look obstructed. No fired case or remnants thereof were recovered. Customer was uninjured save for a little scrape where the topcover hit him, and some slight redness on his support hand from powder burns. Unfortunately, I did not have a camera handy to take pics. :(
    is something like that covered under the manufactures warranty?
    Did he get a new gun?

Top Bottom