• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    As nicely stated by someone else a few pages back, the inflated prices as of late was not due to "capitalism" but was in fact a side effect of legislation creating a scare that we were going to lose the right to own and bear certain types of arms which lead a lot of people to go out and buy everything that they could. Its like our good friend Don, he clims to only sell guns because he loves to sell guns. But the truth is he sells guns to turn a profit. Plain and simple and if it were up to him, he would push all other LGS's out of business and charge even more then he already over-charges. But the government does not allow that. So thankfully we have other GOOD LGS's that offer good products ad fair prices.

Of course Don wants to turn a profit. ITs his business. Its his livelihood. Say whatever you want about his politics, but accusing him of being in business to make money is just plain stupid.

Legislation didn't create a scare. The possibility of legislation created a scare. An outside force influencing the market. This is part and parcel of capitalism as I gave an example previously. Besides which claiming that the legislature created bad market conditions does nothing to enhance your pro-regulation argument. :dunno:

Lastly, market factors (ie the ability to buy guns reasonably priced at other vendors) prevent Don from taking over the world, not the government. Show me the legislation/regulation that keeps little Dons from popping up all over the place and forcing us to buy guns an inflated prices please!

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    So there is unlimited availability of firearms forever and always? If no, than that is a limited quantity. At the moment demand is outpacing supply. They can only make so many at a time. That means only so many will be on store shelves at a time. That means there is limited availability. When you limit availability enough prices go up. Supply versus demand is the basic tenant of any sort of free market.

Eventually supply will catch up. There will still only be so many available for sale at one time though so that is a limited commodity. If supply outpaces demand though the price will go down. Supply versus demand.

Unless a specific weapon is discontinued or banned then it will be available until one of those things happen. I can still go buy a brand new 9mm Glock or an AR mag right now if I wanted. Prices didn't necessarily go up because shops ran out of inventory, they went up because people were scared that the weapons would be banned and they started buying everything and that caused the stores to run out of inventory.

Sorry that I'm not replying to everyone's posts.. I like the back and forth and hearing other opinions even if they differ from mine. But I feel like a lone gunman here fighting against a dedicated army! ;) A lot of you make valid points but there is no truely right answer. Its an ebb and flow, we need to regulations to keep places in check while we don't want them to interfere with or lives too much where we are not free citizens any longer.

As for you Jock, I'm still looking for the ignore feature here and that saddens me because I like your avatar!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    And when you have the Gov't buying somewhere in the vicinity of 1,000,000,000 rounds of ammo. That has to take a HUGE toll on the supply to the market. Add in fear of what your Gubmint wants to do to your 2A rights and you have the perfect storm for ammo shortage. I sometimes wonder if that isn't part of the Gubmint's purpose. Ammo shortage until they can pass certain ammo regs. to make it too costly to purchase? :rolleyes:

I've wondered that same thing. What if these epic purchases are a backdoor gun control attempt?

A gun without ammo is a clumsy club.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Unless a specific weapon is discontinued or banned then it will be available until one of those things happen. I can still go buy a brand new 9mm Glock or an AR mag right now if I wanted. Prices didn't necessarily go up because shops ran out of inventory, they went up because people were scared that the weapons would be banned and they started buying everything and that caused the stores to run out of inventory.

Sorry that I'm not replying to everyone's posts.. I like the back and forth and hearing other opinions even if they differ from mine. But I feel like a lone gunman here fighting against a dedicated army! ;) A lot of you make valid points but there is no truely right answer. Its an ebb and flow, we need to regulations to keep places in check while we don't want them to interfere with or lives too much where we are not free citizens any longer.

As for you Jock, I'm still looking for the ignore feature here and that saddens me because I like your avatar!
    Prices do go up because inventory runs out. It does that because everyone seeks profit. The reason it goes up doesn't really play in. It did go up because people got scared. What was there to do about it, tell people they couldn't raise prices because people were simply scared? Many of us here would see that as the government overstepping its bounds. Limits and control of the market prices of non-essentials would eliminate any semblance of a free market.

Yes, you can go and buy an AR right now if you wanted, but there are a lot fewer on the shelf than a year ago. Fewer guns than people running out to buy one. Many places raised prices because people would be willing to pay them. Yes, I believe it is gouging in many cases, but that's a free market. I'm just sticking back until prices go back down. Eventually the steam behind high prices will drop off. Such is the way the market flows.

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    Sorry that I'm not replying to everyone's posts.. I like the back and forth and hearing other opinions even if they differ from mine. But I feel like a lone gunman here fighting against a dedicated army! ;)

'angel...please do not take my posts personally. I enjoy the topic & the debate.

Businesses do require some regulation so as to avoid things called negative externalities. These include pollution of soil, air and water.

For example: if I run a factory & dump my hazardous waste in the creek, my profits will be higher than if I neutralize that waste appropriately. Meanwhile, others bear the burden for my wastes thru lower quality drinking water, fish kill, etc.

ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    Originally Posted by fallenangel1
    Sorry that I'm not replying to everyone's posts.. I like the back and forth and hearing other opinions even if they differ from mine. But I feel like a lone gunman here fighting against a dedicated army!

You are not wrong in your opinion that the Capitalism needs some form of Government regulations. We as a concerned group should do everything we can to minimize the Gov. Regs. though, for they are necessary evil that the modern society requires as you furiously advocated.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    ;) A lot of you make valid points but there is no truely right answer. Its an ebb and flow, we need regulations to keep places in check while we don't want them to interfere with or lives too much where we are not free citizens any longer.
    Spoken like a feller that just had his butt handed to him.
    No truly right answer? Well, you're half right...

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Originally Posted by fallenangel1
    Sorry that I'm not replying to everyone's posts.. I like the back and forth and hearing other opinions even if they differ from mine. But I feel like a lone gunman here fighting against a dedicated army!

You are not wrong in your opinion that the Capitalism needs some form of Government regulations. We as a concerned group should do everything we can to minimize the Gov. Regs. though, for they are necessary evil that the modern society requires as you furiously advocated.

I'M NOT FURIOUS! :D

I think too often people only see things in black and white .. liberals vs conservatives. good vs bad. us vs them. When most everything in life is grey, we need some semblance of government and we do rely on the government, as much as some people here would hate to admit that. ;)

But, the government is ran by people and people are flawed and don't always have the needs of the many in mind while they are lining their own pockets. So we need to keep them in check as much as possible too. Its forever going to be a balancing act. :patriot:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

I think too often people only see things in black and white .. liberals vs conservatives. good vs bad. us vs them. When most everything in life is grey, we need some semblance of government and we do rely on the government, as much as some people here would hate to admit that. ;)

But, the government is ran by people and people are flawed and don't always have the needs of the many in mind while they are lining their own pockets. So we need to keep them in check as much as possible too. Its forever going to be a balancing act. :patriot:

The government can't manage a whorehouse and make it profitable. And you want them holding the marionette strings of our economy?

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Spoken like a feller that just had his butt handed to him.
    No truly right answer? Well, you're half right...

You sir seem to be very closed minded and apparently enjoy the low road by presumably trying to get the last word. That's fine, have at it, you're free to be whomever you want to be. :patriot:

Fallenangel,

Have you started that food pantry yet?
    Sorry Im too busy arguing with you to focus on anything else! ;)

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

:rockwoot:

Although I can see why you would ignore me. Instead of being shallow, emotional, name calling, and attacking you personally, I have stooped to the lowest form of argument; asking for data to prove your case and providing (what I consider to be) reasonable counter points. LOL.

Good day sir.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    :rockwoot:

Although I can see why you would ignore me. Instead of being shallow, emotional, name calling, and attacking you personally, I have stooped to the lowest form of argument; asking for data to prove your case and providing (what I consider to be) reasonable counter points. LOL.

Good day sir.

That's exactly what you did and why I ignored your further comments.

ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy

I believe you summarized it eloquently. Balancing Act it is!
    If there was true anything, I wish there was TRUE Communism in principle where everyone can live well. If anything like that is even remotely possible to exist on this world! Proven by the demise of very failed experiment in Communism, which managed to embody the threat of Nuclear War and Worldwide hatred among mankind. Incidentally, it proves the authors point that the capitalism as we know it today is not the TRUE Capitalism, but an adulterated mixed bag of GREED, which cannot be repaired due in part by the Gov. Regs.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You sir seem to be very closed minded and apparently enjoy the low road by presumably trying to get the last word. That's fine, have at it, you're free to be whomever you want to be. :patriot:

Sorry Im too busy arguing with you to focus on anything else! ;)

Then log off. You've got mankind to save from themselves.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Proverbs 11:26
    "People curse the man who hoards grain, but blessing crowns him who is willing to sell."

Hoarder or seller...Which are you?

I'll feed a man truly in need. But if a man comes to my door with a $20 bill in his pocket wanting to purchase my grain at the $1 per pound I paid for it and the grocery store down the street has it for $2 per pound? I don't think so.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Then log off. You've got mankind to save from themselves.

This is more fun, besides most of people don't want saved. They'd rather wallow in self pity and besides if they took the help and did something with their lives they wouldn't have anything to complain about. :popcorn:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This is more fun, besides most of people don't want saved. They'd rather wallow in self pity and besides if they took the help and did something with their lives they wouldn't have anything to complain about. :popcorn:

So it's only prospective gun buyers you have empathy for?

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    People are gouging .. that is a fact. Those sellers are just riding the bubble created by the "AWB Scare of 2012". They weren't fostering capitalism they were being greedy and taking advantage of a pseudo monopoly unintentionally created by an unexpected rise in demand and lack of supply from actual manufactures. Once the supply dried the up the profiteers swooped in to make a quick buck. Thankfully things are already starting to shift back to the way they were and unfortunately for some they will soon realize that the $700-800 they paid for a G19 with 1 mag or the $3,000 for a Bushmaster AR was a mistake made in a state of panic.

There is an inherent flaw in everything. Capitalism needs regulation only in the form of punishing criminal behavior such as fraud. The capital is sitting in the coffers of corporations right now rather than creating jobs and spurring the economy because everyone wants a nest egg in fear that Obama's over-regulation will destroy everything.

My favorite comments are the ones condemning greed. Such hypocrites. Basically they are saying "Greedy business wants my money in exchange for things I DESERVE for free." Wait, who are the greedy parties here? The first sign of a worthless piece of trash are the words "THEY are greedy." coming out of their mouth. Get a job.

I lost sight of all of your arguments after I read this comment.

Top Bottom