• ...and so much more!
  • morve80

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Speedway
    I believe this belongs in the carry issues side of this thread.

Wife and I went to cheesecake factory, greenwood park mall, this weekend. We like the georgia peach and love some cheesecake. The general manager came up and asked if I was an officer. I told him no. He asked that I take my firearm back out to the car. As it was store policy that only officers could carry inside. Now, I had a decision to make. Do I cause a scene? Do I comply? Do I leave? It was our anniversary and we had been looking forward to some good cheesecake. They don't have a no firearms sign posted. The wife asked if I wanted to leave and go somewhere else. I had a mental argument with myself as I made a decision. I decided to "comply". I told her we would stay. As we had been looking forward to the boozy peach and raspberry smoothy that was the georgia peach and the delicious lemon raspberry cream cheesecake. So, we stepped outside. My firearm then went into the wife's purse. We proceeded to have a nice meal and get our leftovers and cheesecake to go. Nothing happened. I "complied" and he was happy. I may go Karen and contact corporate though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've always carried there too. I'm fat and love cheesecake. This was my first time with this request.

Good for you gents that OC. I'm glad folks do, but it's not for me.

The business is in between a rock and hard place when customers complain that other customers are openly armed.

The angry moms and other anti-gun groups have quite the social media following that stir up trouble and boycotts for business' that give the impression of being pro gun.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    He asked that I take my firearm back out to the car.
    If choosing to take a weapon back out to your car do not just put it inside and lock the car and walk back in. Anyone watching will know you just hid something valuable. Get in your car and hide/secure your weapon, then drive to another location in the parking lot . Then go back inside where you are not observed.

Never let them see you hiding something in your car.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If choosing to take a weapon back out to your car do not just put it inside and lock the car and walk back in. Anyone watching will know you just hid something valuable. Get in your car and hide/secure your weapon, then drive to another location in the parking lot . Then go back inside where you are not observed.

Somebody didnt read the whole post. :nono:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    We went to the Louisville, Ky. Cheesecake Factory, had no problems, of course I was CC'ing, and my son too, and my wife might have had her pistol in her purse....no mayhem ensued.....
    OP, love the work around!!!

bashMOH

Hawaiian Pizza
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Daviess county

I mean, if someone is that set on stealing your firearm, you're going to have to do way more than circle the lot, in my opinion. In this case, the person watching knows what you look like and now knows what you drive. You come back into that store, they go out to the lot to look for the car they saw you get in ~10 minutes ago

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I believe this belongs in the carry issues side of this thread.

Wife and I went to cheesecake factory, greenwood park mall, this weekend. We like the georgia peach and love some cheesecake. The general manager came up and asked if I was an officer. I told him no. He asked that I take my firearm back out to the car. As it was store policy that only officers could carry inside. Now, I had a decision to make. Do I cause a scene? Do I comply? Do I leave? It was our anniversary and we had been looking forward to some good cheesecake. They don't have a no firearms sign posted. The wife asked if I wanted to leave and go somewhere else. I had a mental argument with myself as I made a decision. I decided to "comply". I told her we would stay. As we had been looking forward to the boozy peach and raspberry smoothy that was the georgia peach and the delicious lemon raspberry cream cheesecake. So, we stepped outside. My firearm then went into the wife's purse. We proceeded to have a nice meal and get our leftovers and cheesecake to go. Nothing happened. I "complied" and he was happy. I may go Karen and contact corporate though.
    Personally I conceal carry a reasonably small pistol for this reason. If no one can see the gun they cant make a fuss about it, cant snatch it, cant call the cops about it, and my lifes that much easier. I think you definitely did the right thing in that situation but id find it hard to spend money at an establishment after that kinda confrontation.

mbkintner

Up the Irons
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Behind You
    I mean, if someone is that set on stealing your firearm, you're going to have to do way more than circle the lot, in my opinion. In this case, the person watching knows what you look like and now knows what you drive. You come back into that store, they go out to the lot to look for the car they saw you get in ~10 minutes ago
    That's why you drive this...

1692634451888.png

Not this...

1692634639605.png

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I never open carry but considering the question came from someone working at the CC factory would you be "breaking any law" if you answered the question with, yes? Although as BWFrame said, what they don't know won't hurt them.

IC

35-44.1-2-6​

Sec. 6. (a) A person who, with intent to:
    (1) deceive;  or
    (2) induce compliance with the person's instructions, orders, or requests;
    falsely represents that the person is a public servant, commits impersonation of a public servant, a Class A misdemeanor, except as provided in subsection (b).
    (b) The offense described in subsection (a) is a Level 6 felony if the person falsely represents that the person is:
    (1) a law enforcement officer
    ;  or
    (2) an agent or employee of the department of state revenue, and collects any property from another person.

This is as 2022. IIRC, prior to 2022 you had to both represent yourself falsely AND attempt to get the other person to do something. Now it's "or" instead of "and". It was also updated to just have police lights and sirens in your vehicle is illegal, whereas before they had to be activated. I don't know the details, but was told this was in direct response to a specific police impersonation problem in a city that was, surprisingly, not Indy.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I worked around the metal detector at a sketchy bar I got dragged into. I let the wand go off then apologized and made a big deal about going back to the car. Got to the car dropped the gun in my boot went back through set off the wand again but at my boots and blamed it on my steel toes. walked right in went to the bathroom and put my gun back on. There's loop holes for everything yours seems less complicated than mine though.

Also for the safety Sallys I wasn't drinking that night I was dd.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    IC

35-44.1-2-6​

Sec. 6. (a) A person who, with intent to:
    (1) deceive;  or
    (2) induce compliance with the person's instructions, orders, or requests;
    falsely represents that the person is a public servant, commits impersonation of a public servant, a Class A misdemeanor, except as provided in subsection (b).
    (b) The offense described in subsection (a) is a Level 6 felony if the person falsely represents that the person is:
    (1) a law enforcement officer
    ;  or
    (2) an agent or employee of the department of state revenue, and collects any property from another person.

This is as 2022. IIRC, prior to 2022 you had to both represent yourself falsely AND attempt to get the other person to do something. Now it's "or" instead of "and". It was also updated to just have police lights and sirens in your vehicle is illegal, whereas before they had to be activated. I don't know the details, but was told this was in direct response to a specific police impersonation problem in a city that was, surprisingly, not Indy.
    I guess my question would be, am I compelled give an honest answer to a CCfactory employee? I understand that it would be a really bad idea to represent yourself as law enforcement to law enforcement. Probably be a better plan to simply say "it's none of your business" or just ignore the question. Since Covid I have a real problem with anyone attempting to compel me to do anything. It's become a give em and inch and they will take a few miles, or your life world.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom