• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    There is lots of discussion here about holsters, body types, and types of handguns carried, but no mention has been made of one of the more important factors in being able to effectively conceal your weapon - a good belt. The $10 Kohl's special just doesn't cut it. You can have an Uncle Mike's Sidekick or other equally inexpensive holster and use it just fine* with a quality belt, but use it without and you'll probably have to readjust the gun frequently.

Spend some good money on a quality gunbelt or two (multiple colors of course, one has to coordinate the wardrobe) such as a Maxpedition Liger, Beltman Bullhide, or other purpose-built gunbelts. They typically are designed NOT to sag or be flexible torsionally, helping to draw the weapon closer in to your body for more effective concealment. I have had great success so far with a Maxpedition Liger, and will be ordering a Beltman belt soon for those more formal occasions.

Another factor is grip length. The shorter the grip, the easier it will be to conceal, no matter where you choose to locate the gun. While an obvious point, I feel that it's pretty useless to have a nice little H&K USP9 Var. 1 if all you can effectively do is open carry. It's nice to have the extra capacity, but sometimes different choices in carry weapon have to be made for ease of concealment. Remember, concealed means concealed. Carry an extra mag if you feel you need that kind of round count, but take a serious look at what is being carried - sometimes it just can't be made to work with certain body types/holsters/other factors.

OP, as mentioned earlier you might want to try an undershirt tucked inside the IWB Holster and gun, I use these myself in the warmer weather. Check out the MTAC if you can, i've heard nothing but good things. Another possible option is contacting a custom holster maker such as UBG Holsters and seeing if they can modify one of their designs to add extra leather for comfort.

*To a certain degree, but that's an entirely different discussion best left for another time and place.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    There is lots of discussion here about holsters, body types, and types of handguns carried, but no mention has been made of one of the more important factors in being able to effectively conceal your weapon - a good belt. The $10 Kohl's special just doesn't cut it. You can have an Uncle Mike's Sidekick or other equally inexpensive holster and use it just fine* with a quality belt, but use it without and you'll probably have to readjust the gun frequently.

Spend some good money on a quality gunbelt or two (multiple colors of course, one has to coordinate the wardrobe) such as a Maxpedition Liger, Beltman Bullhide, or other purpose-built gunbelts. They typically are designed NOT to sag or be flexible torsionally, helping to draw the weapon closer in to your body for more effective concealment.
    Excellent points.

I've got bunch of belts and the good gun belts dramatically improve the ability to carry, comfortably, concealed.

I think the reason that mouse guns are so popular is because people can't figure out that a holster is only 50% of a carry rig. The best holster on a lightweight belt is not going to work well. Carry belts come in all shapes and styles, cost a bit more, but are worth it.

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    I wear two shirts year round, an under shirt and an "outer" shirt.

I weigh about 450 lbs. If I can tolerate the heat with two shirts, just about anyone can.

Carrying a gun should be comforting, not necessarily comfortable.

I'm about 220 lbs. lighter and I wear a long-sleeved shirt over a t-shirt year round. I usually wear a 2 1/2" Model 66 .357 or a 4" Highway Patrolman .357 in an el cheapo Uncle Mike's paddle holster in the crossdraw position. I don't worry about concealing it here in Indiana and haven't had any trouble carrying openly. If I want it concealed, I just pull out my shirt tail.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There is lots of discussion here about holsters, body types, and types of handguns carried, but no mention has been made of one of the more important factors in being able to effectively conceal your weapon - a good belt.

Excellent point about belts, and thanks for catching the glaring omission. When people aske me about holsters and such, one of the things I usually recommend first is a belt. Sometimes they don't listen because they don't believe (which means they don't know what they don't know).

In addition to aiding concealment and comfort, a proper belt also helps with the draw/presentation of your weapon. It will hold your pistol in the same position and orientation all the time, so you don't have to waste valuable time "searching" with your hand. It will stabilize your holster, so the holster stays in place while you pull the gun from it.

Even if you wear a paddle holster (or perhaps especially if you use a paddle holster), a good, stiff belt that fits the loops/clips on your holster and mag carriers is absolutely essential.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    When I began carrying almost a year ago, I was worried that I would have to go out and buy new clothes that would help me conceal my weapon much easier, but that turned out to not be the case. While ymmv, I believe that nearly everyone is able to easily and effectively conceal a "compact" (Glock 19, Sig P239, CZ-75 Compact, Commander Length 1911, etc.) model handgun with a proper custom holster, belt, and perhaps some slight modifications to one's wardrobe. For example, when buying new pants, I always am carrying so that I might try them on with my IWB holster inside, instead of buying for my waist size and then later discovering that they are too small for me AND the gun.

For summer, a simple t-shirt/polo works for me, usually with the undershirts I mentioned previously to prevent sweat from getting onto the handle. For fall/winter, I wear a regular tucked-in tshirt/polo behind the gun, usually a sweater for cover and a light coat/jacket if it's really cold out. When the jacket goes on, the sweater also gets tucked behind the weapon for easier access. This gives me the benefit of layers, so if I take my jacket off when going inside a building, I simply put the sweater back over as concealment right before I take the jacket off. I haven't purchased new clothes in probably 7-8 months.

Thinking through the day's activities and the scenarios one might encounter also plays a factor in my daily wardrobe. If just going to visit friends of mine that know I carry and are okay with it, I might dress in something that is a little less concealing. If going somewhere such as church or my alma mater where it really wouldn't be a good thing if made, I make sure to choose a wardrobe that provides me the most possible concealment while attempting to not sacrifice access to the weapon.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    For example, when buying new pants, I always am carrying so that I might try them on with my IWB holster inside, instead of buying for my waist size and then later discovering that they are too small for me AND the gun.

:+1: on bringing your carry when you try on pants. "Eyeballing" the size doesn't work out too well most of the time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another point: if you're a fat guy, admit it and buy pants/shorts/trousers big enough to go over your belly instead of clinging to the size you wore in high school, but you have to wear them at mid-thigh level due to "dunlop." Not only will they be more comfortable, you won't lose your pants if you try to move quickly and it makes carrying with IWB holsters more comfortable and practical.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Another point: if you're a fat guy, admit it and buy pants/shorts/trousers big enough to go over your belly instead of clinging to the size you wore in high school, but you have to wear them at mid-thigh level due to "dunlop." Not only will they be more comfortable, you won't lose your pants if you try to move quickly and it makes carrying with IWB holsters more comfortable and practical.

I've got a gut, and I wear my pants on my hips, not 1 1/2 inches below my belly button like out-dated fashion says to. I wear the where they fit, and won't slide around, not where centuries old fashion rules tell me to... where you need a belt AND suspenders to keep them from sliding all over the place.

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    I've got a gut, and I wear my pants on my hips, not 1 1/2 inches below my belly button like out-dated fashion says to. I wear the where they fit, and won't slide around, not where centuries old fashion rules tell me to... where you need a belt AND suspenders to keep them from sliding all over the place.

Ditto! I'm too young for that over the stomach thing and everyone wears there pants around the hips nowadays. I'll admit I am no longer a fan of IWB, and it might be better for that. Right now I'm looking for a better concealable OWB carry (hence reading this thread). No big deal for me b/c I always wear the undershirt with long overshirt (button-up or t-shirt).

~Joe

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I ordered an MTAC Spartan from Comp-Tac and absolutely love it. Very comfortable, and the C-clips keep it in place so I don't have to worry about it moving around. The feature of being able to swap Kydex bodies is very nice as well. I can effectively carry 5 different models of gun with my Spartan (M&P 9 & 9c, M&P 40 & 40c, and my PF-9 with the other body.)

Plus they give you smarties with your order!! :D

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    There's a company called Kartboy that makes aftermarket shifter/drivetrain accessories for cars. They include atomic fireballs with their orders. :)

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County

Yes they do. I think its kind of a trademark of them because I read before about how there is always 2 packs of Smarties in with the order, and sure enough mine had them :):

I was very impressed with their communication as well. As soon as I placed my order I got a personal e-mail telling me the expected time (ended up being about half of that) and then e-mail updates letting me know when it was in production and when it shipped. Very good company to deal with. :thumbsup:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Take a look at this IWB. It's some what expensive; however I don't have a problem with chafing, jabbing or pinching. I have found it to be really comfortable!!:rockwoot:

Comp-Tac : Products
    Minotaur MTAC Holster

Just ordered one recently. I'll report back when I've had a chance to try it out.

Also, someone else mentioned tank top undershirts for the summer. I'm kicking myself for not realizing how perfect that would be under a t-shirt or a polo. Thanks for that suggestion, too.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    +1 for Comp-Tac. I ordered a Flashlight carrier, two mag carriers, and the best belt I've ever owned from them. And yes, Smarties ftw!

I've started to wear a lot of Tommy Bahama shirts, (the fact Pami works there has nothing to do with it..... honest)

The style is basically a dress shirt, that's supposed to be worn un-tucked. with a t-shirt, or tank top under it, wearing an OWB or IWB holster is easy to conceal. I prefer the OWB. It's more comfortable, and easier to re-holster.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just got an e-mail from Comp-Tac saying my holster hit the mail today, a week earlier than estimated. :rockwoot:

Really, I just want the Smarties.

Top Bottom