• 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I love revived threads that are still relevant. :):

As summer approaches, this year I'll probably carry either a CZ P07 or P01 when dressed lighter. In summers past, it would often be a Glock 23 or 27 but I'm just not feeling the Glock right now. My 9mm P07 has been recently joined by a .40 P07 in the carry rotation which adds caliber options if needed. The P01 is really hard to beat for summer carry for me though.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Excellent point about belts, and thanks for catching the glaring omission. When people aske me about holsters and such, one of the things I usually recommend first is a belt. Sometimes they don't listen because they don't believe (which means they don't know what they don't know).

In addition to aiding concealment and comfort, a proper belt also helps with the draw/presentation of your weapon. It will hold your pistol in the same position and orientation all the time, so you don't have to waste valuable time "searching" with your hand. It will stabilize your holster, so the holster stays in place while you pull the gun from it.

Even if you wear a paddle holster (or perhaps especially if you use a paddle holster), a good, stiff belt that fits the loops/clips on your holster and mag carriers is absolutely essential.

Question for you about gun belts: I wear a 5.11 59409, 1.5" Tactical Trainer belt. Would the higher end leather belts be better than this? Or is this adequate for carrying a holster and mag pouch? I`ve not had issues, but wonder if it could be better...

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    When I carry IWB, I will carry a full-size M&P, or PPQ no matter what time of year it is. If I am wearing shorts, I will carry my LCP .380 in a cargo pocket.

My perfect pocket pal!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Question for you about gun belts: I wear a 5.11 59409, 1.5" Tactical Trainer belt. Would the higher end leather belts be better than this? Or is this adequate for carrying a holster and mag pouch? I`ve not had issues, but wonder if it could be better...
    I have two gun belts. One is getting quite old and it's a 1.5" MTAC Kydex reinforced leather carry belt. It's been fantastic for years and ran me about $90. The other is an all leather Kramer carry belt that's 1.25". I paid north of $150 for that belt and to be honest, I'm not crazy about it. It carries reasonably well, but the MTAC was better. I love Kramer horsehide holsters and gladly pay the $126 they cost for each of my carry guns but I could not give a solid recommendation for their all leather carry belt. It's been less than a years since getting it and it is starting to feel a bit like a dress belt instead of a carry belt. I'm guessing it will need replaced within 3 years as compared to the 9 years I got out of the MTAC.

Last edited:

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    :dunno:just go ahead and open carry, make sure you get one of those handgun license badges that mention 2nd amendment, clip it right next to the gun, and you are good to go, everyone will think you are a cop

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I recently picked up a CZ P10C and will be adding that to the summer rotation of carry guns. When they come out in .40, I'll probably pick one up for winter carry.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC

I've gotta second what 88E30M50 says. I've had better luck with very thick nylon stuff. Things like the 5.11 and others that use what I hear referred to as "scuba webbing" seem to last longer. I like bullhide gunbelts but they won't last much more than 3 years. I'm currently wearing a Tejas from Magpul and it is doing well. It is leather on the outside of a plastic so it looks good but not tactical. While the nylon works well, I much prefer the leather appearance. That preference does cost me $$$. I have also used a 5.11 Apex gunners belt. It is very comfortable but certainly not sturdy enough for a full size rig. Matter of fact, I like it's clean appearance but do not subject it to OWB carry. ONLY an AIWB proposition for me.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've gotta second what 88E30M50 says. I've had better luck with very thick nylon stuff. Things like the 5.11 and others that use what I hear referred to as "scuba webbing" seem to last longer. I like bullhide gunbelts but they won't last much more than 3 years. I'm currently wearing a Tejas from Magpul and it is doing well. It is leather on the outside of a plastic so it looks good but not tactical. While the nylon works well, I much prefer the leather appearance. That preference does cost me $$$. I have also used a 5.11 Apex gunners belt. It is very comfortable but certainly not sturdy enough for a full size rig. Matter of fact, I like it's clean appearance but do not subject it to OWB carry. ONLY an AIWB proposition for me.

If you like the leather look, a BioBelt from Daltech is perfect. And for $50 shipped with the coupon code INGO, it's a great value.

https://www.daltechforce.com/collections/superbio-gun-belts

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iew-daltech-force-super-biobelt-gun-belt.html

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC

Dino Bravo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cumberland
    I have the Velcro nylon Wilderness belt. It works well but it's bulky. I just received a Trakline belt, so far I like it quite a bit. I carry either a CZ P07 or Sig P320 Compact year round. For extremely hot weather when I'm out for a walk I have a Tactipac FusionPac on order for the Sig. The FusionPac looks just right for concealing under jogging pants or sweatpants.
    For normal carry I really like the Vedder Holsters Quick Draw OWB, as I do not like IWB over pants or jeans. The Quick Draw conceals very well, does not print. I wear a larger longer shirt over it and no one notices. It doesn't even display too much if I have to raise my hands up over my head to reach something.

woodstock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2015
    Sullivan
    I usually just carry my 9mm Smith and Wesson shield in an alien gear inside the waistband holster year round. I'd would like to try pocket carrying something smaller than my shield like a Smith and Wesson J fame or a Ruger LCP I think it would be handy to have something like one of those.

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Right now I'm carrying an HK VP9 which is not much different than a P226. It's the hump above the grip that's the main difference.

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    I just picked up a Sig p938, with an IWB kydex. Absolutely love it for summer carry. Much lighter and conceals so easy compared to my Sig p320c, or my Ruger SR9c.

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    I have a Kahr PM9 that I carry in a Desantis pocket holster in summer. It's Very light and conceals well especially when I wear cargo shorts.

Endrin2113

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Plainfield
    All day, every day, I carry a G19 with a TLR-1 in a StealthGearUSA Ventcore 3 o'clock IWB. A good gunbelt (I use a 5.11 tactical gunbelt a buddy of mine gave me), makes it to where I don't print in even a t-shirt. I also have a Black Arch OWB horizontal mag carrier for my spare G17 mag I wear (8:30) next to my Leatherman Surge carrier (9 o'clock).

Top Bottom