• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    personally, i am non-confrontational, have never been an "angry drunk" except for one instance that i have NO recollection of. i carry no matter what - if i go out to a bar with some friends, im still carrying. i like to think that i have enough common sense when ive been drinking (i thought i did, and others have stated as such) to gtfo if an issue comes up.

if an issue arises that doesnt involve me, i would stay away - where normally i would intervene if need be.

if an issue DOES involve me, at a bar i am more likely to say "look man, sorry, let me buy you a beer and we go our seperate ways"

nobody can tell me i CANT protect myself if ive been drinking, but you bet im going to be more of a "pansy" when it comes to things after a beer or two.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I guess it depends on how you are when you drink. Social drink while out with family/friends at dinner...no issues. Getting **** faced drunk where the decision making process in affected...choose not to carry. Maybe you are the kind of drunk that likes to stir crap up...please do yourself a favor and leave it at home. I remember taking a "person shot" run at a party where two drunk friends decided to see who could draw their handgun from their holster faster. One friend accidentally shot the other, thankfully, not seriously. Drunk people don't make great decisions...I don't care who you are.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I guess it depends on how you are when you drink. Social drink while out with family/friends at dinner...no issues. Getting **** faced drunk where the decision making process in affected...choose not to carry. Maybe you are the kind of drunk that likes to stir crap up...please do [STRIKE]yourself[/STRIKE] us ALL a favor and [STRIKE]leave it at home[/STRIKE] just dont drink. I remember taking a "person shot" run at a party where two drunk friends decided to see who could draw their handgun from their holster faster. One friend accidentally shot the other, thankfully, not seriously. Drunk people don't make great decisions...I don't care who you are.

FIFY

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Depends how much I plan on drinking. If I'm planning on drinking a lot, gun stays home. If I 'm only planning on drinking minimally gun goes with me.

Example a Halloween party I went to and brought a bottle of Jack Daniels, gun stayed home. A football party at the same place a few weeks later with beer only gun went with me.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've said it before and I'll say it again here... my responsibility to drink doesn't end when I decide to protect my family.

Yeah, I think I got that right.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I drink. I carry. Never had a problem in 30 years. Actually, come to think of it, I'm a happy drunk. Everyone is my friend when I'm drinking. Maybe I shouldn't carry when I'm sober. I'm kind of a curmudgeon (sp?) when sober.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    But, if you had to use it, wouldn't the last thing you'd be worrying about is liability?

You're right.
    If I had to use my gun I wouldn't be thinking about anything but.......using my gun. And if I was drinking at the time, I would pray that the DA never caught wind of that. Anything they can use against me they will try to find. Even in a clean shoot.
    This is why I try to think ahead and cover all my bases.

Not realy a fair topic for me because I just don't drink......literally at all.
    Not because I carry.

I just don't have a reason to drink. Not married and I stopped dating RedHeads. :rolleyes:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    But, if you had to use it, wouldn't the last thing you'd be worrying about is liability?

Depends on if you actually had to use it, or your impaired brain only thought you did. Impairment equals greater odds of making those mistakes, the same as you make more mistakes driving or texting ex-girlfriends while impaired vs sober.

Intoxication isn't a defense. If you make a bad call that you wouldn't have made while sober, you're still eating it in both criminal and civil court.

Personally, I treat my gun like I treated my motorcycle. 1 beer per hour limit, and even that's rare these days.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Too drunk to drive = too drunk to carry in my books.

But I've got no problem carrying while drinking a couple beers

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Every person is different. Tolerances vary as well. Personally I don't mind having a beer or two, but I've never abused drinking by trying to get drunk. I know my limit and I know when I can be safe and still drink.

I also don't go to bars. I'm just not a bar person. I'd rather drink in the comfort of my home.

Yep, everyone needs to know their limits. I've learned that two drinks is a good limit for me, unless I'm out for an extended time, in which case it's more like 1 per hour. Other people have different tolerances. As I believe someone else stated, it's YOUR responsibility to know and understand your limits and take that into consideration when you drink and carry (or drive).

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Yep, everyone needs to know their limits. I've learned that two drinks is a good limit for me, unless I'm out for an extended time, in which case it's more like 1 per hour. Other people have different tolerances. As I believe someone else stated, it's YOUR responsibility to know and understand your limits and take that into consideration when you drink and carry (or drive).
    Same approach works for me. Use the same counting and clock management and never question my ability to drive or carry.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I personally do not drink when carrying. Ever.

if the shooting is justified, your BAC shouldn't matter.

if the shooting is not justified, your BAC won't matter.

Top Bottom