• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    shield or sig 938 ...glock 43 ...glock 26..if you are short on funds and dont have a gun try that taurus pt111 for 199 from palmetto...
    but i say a shield in nine is the best price point for quality for a small gun..i own all these but the taurus...but i have seen good reviews and i am thinking of getting one to leave in my car
    walther pps 9mm..springfield xds all good choices too

I will second the Tarus pt111 millinium G2 it can be purchased at Rural King right now for $246.00 out the door, great reviews everywhere you look. Price does not equal quality, always "get the most for the least" so get out their and do some research. An informed buyer is a smart buyer.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Thanks for the response. Any specific models?

Yes - agreed on training and practice. I shoot several times a month and am ready to start traing for CCW.

In that case, stay as far away from M&P as possible. Damn near impossible to get OEM parts from anywhere.

Consider the Ruger line.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    If you up your budget a little, Glock 19, 26, or 43. Whichever fits best for you.

If you are patient, you can find Shields and M&P9c for around $400.

When the Shield and G43 came out, a lot of people started selling their old carry guns to upgrade. Used will be your best bang for the buck.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    That Taurus model being suggested has ben recalled. As have , I think, the entire PT line among other Taurus semi's

No that was the original pt111, the one were referencing is the G2 which is the generation 2 that has the recall issue fixed & a few minor improvements

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I went through a similar dilemma recently, and (over) analyzed a bunch of CCW handguns. The thread is here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/388877-ccw-choice.html

What I finally ended up deciding is that I should not let price dictate my final choice for a reliable life-and-death CCW. I needed to get the gun that I felt would best protect me and my family in a crisis. I tried to find something less expensive, but in the end went with a gun that was a bit more money than I wanted to spend, but was "the right gun".

With that being said, maybe you will find "the right gun" for under $400, and that would be awesome! The Shield is a great firearm, and was in the running for me as well. I personally decided to go in another direction, but it might be perfect for you.

I do understand that we all have to have a budget to work with, so I respect that as well!

Check out a few different models, and shoot as many as you can before deciding 100%. This is the gun that cannot fail you when you need it most!

Best of luck with your decision. The good news is that there are a lot of great choices out there!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    No that was the original pt111, the one were referencing is the G2 which is the generation 2 that has the recall issue fixed & a few minor improvements

Was one of those "minor improvements" the ability to cycle an entire mag without failure? None of the Tauri I've encountered embraced this feature.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A lot of folks have gone thru "The Search". Lots of different criteria, prices, etc. I had a few false starts along the way until I came across the Kahr CM9. And while nobody has suggested it, I believe it does cover your shopping list. While I did not set a price I wanted something small enough to carry in hot weather, and at 5.5 inches long it was the shortest I could find for a 7+ 9mm. If that is no longer the case I'm sure someone will set me straight. I like it so well it is now my EDC. Just one more to look at.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England

I am talking about a brand newMAJOR recall being discussed here. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/389873-major-taurus-pistol-recall.html
    It says 1997-2013. NOT DROP SAFE.
    Some of the models are:

• PT-111 Millennium
    • PT-132 Millennium
    • PT-138 Millennium
    • PT-140 Millennium
    • PT-145 Millennium
    • PT-745 Millennium
    • PT-609
    • PT-640
    • PT-24/7

Not sure if the one your are referencing was made in the last two years or not.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Look at the Smith & Wesson SD9VE if Glock 19 size isn't too large. Can be found new for $300-325 and I prefer it over the M&P(which I prefer over any Glock).

If you want smaller single stack I'd also recommend the Kahr,......I have both CW9 and CM9. The CW is the most comfortable to handle and shoot but the CM is pocket size and has been with me daily for the last few months.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    A $400 ceiling makes it tough. First you need to consider how you plan to carry. Then you need to consider how hard it will be to conceal. Of course fit, feel and function play in too along with probably a dozen other things. Heck, you're gonna hear arguments on just about everything on a gun including the color or design work. But you might want to consider the Springfield XDs Essentials Bundle, S&W M&P Shield and the Walther CCP. I have found each of those for just under $400

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    A lot of folks have gone thru "The Search". Lots of different criteria, prices, etc. I had a few false starts along the way until I came across the Kahr CM9. And while nobody has suggested it, I believe it does cover your shopping list. While I did not set a price I wanted something small enough to carry in hot weather, and at 5.5 inches long it was the shortest I could find for a 7+ 9mm. If that is no longer the case I'm sure someone will set me straight. I like it so well it is now my EDC. Just one more to look at.

I think the CM9 is pretty much the same thing as the CW9 isnt it? Im a bit outdated, i think they came out with the CM shortly after i purchased the CW

Tangero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Lake County
    Bersa BP9CC or Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro. Both are 9mm automatics, the BP9 being single stack and the UC Pro being double. They're typically between $380 and $450. I carry the UC Pro at the moment on a Crossbreed-style holster and I absolutely love it. Haven't had any problems with the Thunder, though I haven't personally shot the BP9

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    The CW9 and the CM9 are identical except for size,....the CM being slightly shorter with one round less capacity. When I originally started looking at them I expected to want the CM but I found that the CW was 'small enough' and much more comfortable in my hand. Of course I eventually ended up with both,......and then again later with the all steel K9.

Kahr CM9 CW9 (Large).jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Heu INGO,

What models are out there that I should consider for a CCW 9mm?

I am familiar with the Shield, but what else is out there?

- would be my first CCW gun
    - want to stay under $400 new
    - 9mm semi auto
    - I'm average size guy
    - currently own a SR9 and SR22 for handguns

SR9c and the M&P Shield would be my choices in the $400 new category.

Shield is a fine gun, usable sights, decent trigger, big enough to shoot, easy to carry.

SR9c would be cross compatible with your current gun. I think the SR series is a good all around value. I was impressed with the SR9c that I had prior to selling it to a friend.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    You'd be wise to buy used, you'll get way more gun for $400.

I've been scouting for a carry-friendly 9mm myself, I went with a used P320 Compact for not much more than your $400 range.

Another reason to buy used is that you can sell at little to no loss if you want to try something else.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    I don't think one should put such a hard cap on the cost of lifesaving gear. There are diminishing returns, but they don't start at $400.

I agree that including used but not abused in your list will open up a lot for a similar budget, but I want to suggest an option that hasn't been put forth yet:

Consider spending $100 or so on a good belt and quality holster for the SR9 you already have. Most people can conceal a much bigger gun than they think, with the right gear. If this option works for you, you have the belt for when you can jump to the gun you decide you really want. Remember, you will need $$ for a good holster for this new gun, too. And I highly advise not buying a holster that costs less than $40. There are a lot of great kydex craftspeople out there making good rigs in the $40-70 range, but if you pay less there is usually a reason.

Also, if you absolutely have to stay within that budget, I think a revolver is your best bet. Get a LCR or a lightly used J-frame and a good holster for it. It's really hard to tell yourself that a small wheelie is too heavy, or too cumbersome to carry pretty much anywhere anytime.

Top Bottom