• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How does everyone feel about a seller who sells to a 2nd person while you were trying set a time & place with them?
    This has happened to me personally 2 times.
    It ****'s me off of course because my word is my bond as it should be.

But again it is up to the seller who what when and where.
    I do know that 1 of those times the seller was made a better offer and the seller took it. People are gonna people. They just can not help it and some people will drop their Mom in the grease for a better margin.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I think for clarity a simple phone call works wonders. Both people get a feel of who they are dealing with and all concerns can be addressed
    I'm sure that would work great most of the time.

Myself, I'm much more comfortable communicating through typed messages. It affords me time to think about what i read and time to consider what i say and how it will be perceived, time to cool off, time to edit it, or delete it altogether.

When I'm on the phone with a stranger, i often stutter, mispronounce things, use sayings bass-ackwards (6 dozen of one, 2 of the other, 2 stones with one bird, lol for examples), i don't breathe enough and hyper ventilate, i get clammy, i second guess what i just heard, ask them to repeat things, and have trouble remembering details after the call.

Of course, tone is hard to convey through text. Feelings implied may not always be inferred.

And sometimes some of y'alls grammar makes me want to call instead...

Last edited:

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    This has been an informative conversation. I'm new to the site and will likely participate in the classifieds. I'm a member on SavageShooters and all of my deals there have involved out of state deals that require sending payment before the item is shipped. Very important to know and trust who you are dealing with. It never dawned on me that most transactions on this site will be FTF.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I'm sure that would work great most of the time.

Myself, I'm much more comfortable communicating through typed messages. It affords me time to think about what i read and time to consider what i say and how it will be perceived, time to cool off, time to edit it, or delete it altogether.

When I'm on the phone with a stranger, i often stutter, mispronounce things, use sayings bass-ackwards (6 dozen of one, 2 of the other, 2 stones with one bird, lol for examples), i don't breathe enough and hyper ventilate, i get clammy, i second guess what i just heard, ask them to repeat things, and have trouble remembering details after the call.

Of course, tone is hard to convey through text. Feelings implied may not always be inferred.

And sometimes some of y'alls grammar makes me want to call instead...
    I like to keep things to PMs or texts so there's a clear record of who said what in case there's a dispute after the deal. Hasn't happened yet, but I still think it's prudent.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Lately seems like a lot of long time members with low post counts want to bump someone else's classified ad making offers. Seems like most of that should be handled in PMs/conversations, since the OP is going to have to PM you to respond to the offer.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Communication is the key here, AND it starts with you!

Most transactions are not for looky-lue. The pics tell the story and that's the end of story. You can always ask for more pics, if needed.

"I'll take it" means just that. Sometimes, especially with less than experienced traders, it doesn't hurt a bit to make this bluntly clear in advance.

If the description does not match the item at meet up, that's another problem.

There is no negotiation at meetup unless both parties have agreed to this in advance. Grading in the field does not apply to MOST transactions.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I'll play moderate (not devils advocate but leaning that way).

If you make an offer and they don't reply don't get bent out of shape. Sometimes life gets in the way and you don't make it back to INGO right away. I haven't missed sales that way but I have missed buying deals. Not everyone's single with 1 job, no hobbies and their phone plugged into the forum. If it gets to be a couple days or a week, another PM probably won't help. As CM says, contact the mods.

If someone can't pay/meet for a few days, the seller should be honest with their intentions: holding it for them means holding it for them. If the seller isn't going to hold the item, they should be up front about it. If the seller promises the item then sells to someone else, their a dick and that's what feedback is for.

Negotiation I'm split on. Market and visible item condition negotiation should be done before inconveniencing them (travel, time off work, etc). Sure, it's reasonable to adjust based on findings upon inspection or just for the fun of it but don't get mad if they don't accept it and don't inconvenience them unless you're willing to pay whatever the deal is before leaving. You REALLY should ask for pics of whatever you're concerned about before meeting though. Also, high value items tend to get more of this... checking the more and function on antiques but the seller should also be ready to give more pics/explanation ahead of time... kinda all balances out. I guess that's getting really longwinded and roundabout but I think I talked myself into agreeing with you guys saying no dickering in person. If you're going to nitpick, ask for the details/pics you're going to nitpick before you meet so it's "item doesn't match description" rather than "I just want to dicker in person". Guess I'm not so split on it.

Seems like since the update there's been a LOT of question, offer, comment replies/bumping. along with a couple "I don't know how to PM so contact me"

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Communication is the key here, AND it starts with you!

Most transactions are not for looky-lue. The pics tell the story and that's the end of story. You can always ask for more pics, if needed.

"I'll take it" means just that. Sometimes, especially with less than experienced traders, it doesn't hurt a bit to make this bluntly clear in advance.

If the description does not match the item at meet up, that's another problem.

There is no negotiation at meetup unless both parties have agreed to this in advance. Grading in the field does not apply to MOST transactions.

Communication is absolutely the key. Any defect, no matter how small, should be disclosed in the ad. Your molehill may be someone else's mountain.

I once sold an AR that had a tiny dremel nick in the barrel from when I was cutting the brakes off my ARs in 2004 and installing flash suppressors. Just a stupid careless slip of the dremel. You can believe I disclosed that in the ad and posted a picture of the nick. Just a cosmetic issue, but some potential buyers might not have been ok with that.

Also, if you buy a firearm or ammo from me, you had better inspect it well before you hand over the cash. I will not give a refund on a firearm or ammo. I don't care if you've only had it an hour. I don't know if you altered a gun, swapped out parts, or put a body on it. I don't know if you've replaced the ammo with something inferior, like poorly stored ammo or handloads. General gear, you find something wrong, I'll meet you back at the spot we originally met and refund you, as long as it's in the same condition as when we made the deal. But guns and ammo, no way.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    For the most part, dealing with INGOers is fantastic. Especially compared to some of the bad stories you hear from Armslist and such.

I've only had a couple of less than satisfactory transactions in years of trading with INGOers. Nothing to warrant bad rep, but a couple to write off as bad communicators or blame myself for not being more clear.

To counter the negative, many good deals that went against the norm. From no problem dealing with low post count folks to others that have sat on the sale for days, waiting on me. Made a lot of friends that I didn't know I had.

:ingo:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Also, if you buy a firearm or ammo from me, you had better inspect it well before you hand over the cash. I will not give a refund on a firearm or ammo. I don't care if you've only had it an hour. I don't know if you altered a gun, swapped out parts, or put a body on it. I don't know if you've replaced the ammo with something inferior, like poorly stored ammo or handloads. General gear, you find something wrong, I'll meet you back at the spot we originally met and refund you, as long as it's in the same condition as when we made the deal. But guns and ammo, no way.
    I'll differ with you on this, sir. I never "inspect" in a parking lot. I'll verify that it's a gun or ammo or such, but I won't be putting on glasses and getting out lights to grade the purchase. I won't be waving the gun around looking down the barrel or dry testing the trigger.

I'm buying something used, it's used.

I look at details later, at home. If the item is not as advertised, then there is a problem. If you didn't mention that the barrel is pitted or the custom stipple work went through the frame or there is an idiot scratch, then there is a problem.

That has yet to happen, in many years on INGO. And it's why I only trade on INGO.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A fun quick thread jack...

Who has the record for the most trades with INGOer's posting in this thread? (Bet I know...)

Mine is five. And I apologize, if I have forgotten anyone. :scratch:

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I'll differ with you on this, sir. I never "inspect" in a parking lot. I'll verify that it's a gun or ammo or such, but I won't be putting on glasses and getting out lights to grade the purchase. I won't be waving the gun around looking down the barrel or dry testing the trigger.

I'm buying something used, it's used.

I look at details later, at home. If the item is not as advertised, then there is a problem. If you didn't mention that the barrel is pitted or the custom stipple work went through the frame or there is an idiot scratch, then there is a problem. That has yet to happen, in many years on INGO. And it's why I only trade on INGO.
    Fair enough. But if there were defects like you mentioned in your examples, I would have disclosed them in the ad, so it wouldn't be a problem ;)

Also, this is Indiana. I've never had a problem with people seeing guns inspected in the Meijer or Walmart parking lots in a safe manner. Even seen people looking on with interest at what's being sold. I love this state. :cool:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    One thing I hate is the folks who reply in the sale thread.

If you don't want to hold something for someone who can't meet until later spell it out in your reply. Tell the person that you won't hold it.

Once you agree to a sale, the item is sold. Doesn't matter that someone else offers you more or they are more convenient to sell to.

When I'm buying I assume any offer I send is going to be accepted and that I have made an absolute commitment to that purchase. Only if the seller declines my offer am I off the hook.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Lately seems like a lot of long time members with low post counts want to bump someone else's classified ad making offers. Seems like most of that should be handled in PMs/conversations, since the OP is going to have to PM you to respond to the offer.
    You have no idea how crazy it has been with what you are stating due to those members smelling a buck to be made and the influx of new members that have not taken the minutes to read and understand the rules. We love the site support we are getting from those folks but please, read the rules.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One thing I hate is the folks who reply in the sale thread.

If you don't want to hold something for someone who can't meet until later spell it out in your reply. Tell the person that you won't hold it.

Once you agree to a sale, the item is sold. Doesn't matter that someone else offers you more or they are more convenient to sell to.

When I'm buying I assume any offer I send is going to be accepted and that I have made an absolute commitment to that purchase. Only if the seller declines my offer am I off the hook.
    Yours and my word are our bond.

Top Bottom