• ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    How does everyone feel about a seller who sells to a 2nd person while you were trying set a time & place with them?

Recently happened to me. Said I'll take it to some black powder and accessories up in Peru that'd been languishing awhile. Shortly thereafter someone else showed an interest, The the now itchy seller shot me a "are you sure you want this, because now bubba does too?!" message. I'm not sure what he thought "I'll take it" meant. Anyway, when I failed to respond for an interminable 26 hours, because I work for a living, he sold it to Bubba. I was annoyed, and considered negging him, but decided it wasn't worth my time to worry about it. I threw him on the ignore list and moved on.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A fun quick thread jack...

Who has the record for the most trades with INGOer's posting in this thread? (Bet I know...)

Mine is five. And I apologize, if I have forgotten anyone. :scratch:
    BW, do you mean overall trades, including sales, purchases too? Or just a literal "trade".

And do you only us that are on this thread or everyone?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The first "I'll take it" thing is way different here than at other places. I know some forums where if you don't sell on that basis, you will be perma-banned. The Mods get involved in arbitrating the sales all the time. I like being able to pick and choose who I sell to. Some people just kind of give you the willies... oh I can only meet here local and I work during the day so it has to be way after dark...

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    The first "I'll take it" thing is way different here than at other places. I know some forums where if you don't sell on that basis, you will be perma-banned. The Mods get involved in arbitrating the sales all the time. I like being able to pick and choose who I sell to. Some people just kind of give you the willies... oh I can only meet here local and I work during the day so it has to be way after dark...

Ooh.... In a cozy little diner?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We try and stay out of the quibbles between members as some of the complaints are so Absolutely grade school.
    Sometimes sellers are running a auction with out actually posting it up that way. Had a few of those.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So,
    In this mixed up world of Covid concerns and new forum software, are pants still optional?
    Always.....:shady:

DThrZWl.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've had nothing but good experiences in the buy/sell classifieds, where it gets not so good is the WTB section. I think a lot of people put up a WTB as 'wish I could own' type thing. When you actually contact someone about an item they find excuses not to get it lol. They should put some sort of indication about what they would pay, if you're wanting a S&W .44 but in your mind only want to pay 500.00 let people know lol.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Hi All,

I've made a few purchases from folks on the classifieds section and have come up with a couple questions.

1. If you come across a post and you're confident you would like to make the purchase, should you specifically communicate to the seller that the offer is contingent upon a basic inspection of the item? Or is that sort of implied already without having to say it? I haven't run into a situation where I did not want to move forward with the purchase, but wanted to hear what others had to say.

2. If you make an offer to someone for full asking price and they don't respond, how long should you wait before contacting them again?

Thanks
    1: why wouldn't you inspect it?
    Bought a rifle from a guy here that was obviously brand new in box. Never fired. I still pulled it out and cycled it a few times. He was happy to let me.

2: its like online dating. If they don't respond move on with your life. The only ones that matter reply.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've had nothing but good experiences in the buy/sell classifieds, where it gets not so good is the WTB section. I think a lot of people put up a WTB as 'wish I could own' type thing. When you actually contact someone about an item they find excuses not to get it lol. They should put some sort of indication about what they would pay, if you're wanting a S&W .44 but in your mind only want to pay 500.00 let people know lol.
    In this I get a lot of PM's about wanting to own one of my customs. Or asking If I have anything inside a budget thats for sale.
    I always take a lot of my personal time in this and explain everything and even more often than not lower my price to help get people into a nice 1911.
    When in the end they are RIA level shoppers wanting what I have at that price.
    I have had at least 6 of these since just before Christmas. Tire kickers.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think WTB's are just inherently a little cumbersome. I have done one recently and I got a nice offer from a member here. It may be awhile before I can meet up with him due to our work schedules. He is actually "loaning" them to me as I did mention in my ad that I would be willing to rent them since its some checkering tools and I want to try my hand at it. I may fail miserably, so the idea of renting or borrowing appealed to me.

But I would purchase some if the price was right. So do I keep the ad open or close it since I have an offer?

For the record I did close it.

I have tried to sell some items to a couple of WTB's, but like me, they were rather specific and I didn't have exactly what they wanted. Which is fine. I, of all people, understand being particular. :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    In this I get a lot of PM's about wanting to own one of my customs. Or asking If I have anything inside a budget thats for sale.
    I always take a lot of my personal time in this and explain everything and even more often than not lower my price to help get people into a nice 1911.
    Uh, I'd be happy to take one of your creations off your hands for RIA pricing.;)

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN

Used Guns are alot like Used Cars ...
    Some people know alot more about them than I do ... so a desire to buy from someone who took care of it and has done upgrades is preferred from guys they drop them on the floor, don't clean them and otherwise run them into the dirt

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    Please excuse my ignorance, but just wondering what RIA level shopper means.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think a nice sticky at the top of the WTB section would be to strongly suggest that posters to the section give price ranges willing to pay or trades that they would entertain.

So many times you can look at the WTB's and find the same items wanted in multiples in the for sale threads. :dunno:

Same said for ammo requests. Especially during this time, everyone would be happier if those requesting ammo would give an idea of what they would pay.

Personally, I have no ammo to sell. That said, make an offer that's hard to refuse and I just might come off of some. I'm not gonna go back and forth with someone looking for unrealistic deals though.

:twocents:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom