• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I was at a softball game for one of my kids, and there's a guy printing concealed.
    This caused a small stir with some parents around me. I could care less.
    The ball fields are part of a schoolyard that I later learned the school is closed. I figure I should be carrying if it's good-to-go.

What's the deal? Carry prohibited, or not?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Why would it be prohibited at a closed school?

Maybe tell the parents if some crazy comes on the field, they'd then be prating that guy did something.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Not a school function.
    its a Franklin Township league, and the school is in Wanamaker, for those who may be familiar.
    I figure it can't be " once a school, always a school", but I'm not sure where the line is.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    No longer an active school. For example, here in Kokomo, Wallace elementary school has been closed for a few years (3 or 4), but it still says Wallace elementary school.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    From what I understand there are no classes held there anymore.
    I have not confirmed this, but there aren't any cars there when I go by sometimes at school hours, so I'm giving it some credibility.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    "Closed"?

Is the property/building still owned by the school corporation?

Threshold question: who owns the building?

FYI: I had a cousin who bought a closed high school in Terre Haute. It was great to run around in as a kid and play basketball at 3AM in the gym.:D

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Wanamaker Elementary is indeed closed. Just read an article from 2009 about the cuts that affected the following school year.
    I believe the property is still owned by the school district, as they pooled up there for a homecoming parade and the athletic facilities are still groomed and functional.
    I did not carry, as I thought it was still functioning. Still don't think I will, so I'm not exposed to a bad situation. I thought someone here might make heads/tails out of it, especially those who are familiar with Indiana Code on such things.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I believe the property is still owned by the school district, as they pooled up there for a homecoming parade and the athletic facilities are still groomed and functional.

Here's your winner (sorry, I have not had a SWAT reference today yet). It is school property as what controls school property is who owns it. This case is about property rights (sorry, needed an INGOtarian reference today too).

7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1). - See more at: Ind. Code § 35-41-1-24.7 : Indiana Code - Section 35-41-1-24.7: "School property" defined

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Lived there my whole life and step father on school board there. It is still a school and still owned by the school corporation. The school police still patrol it. Just as acton is also still a school even though no classes go on there. Also still is maintained to bear minimum levels of maintenance. And has a worker assigned to it to maintain it. Acton is to serve as a back-up in case something happens to one of the other schools it still has desks and books. You can not carry there. I agree stupid and disagree with the law but not legal to carry.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    OP next time you are their you may want to take that other person asaide and show them the IC that shows the property is a GFZ so that he does not get the JBTs on him.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yep - as long as it's still owned by the school/school corp, it's still officially "school property" and is verboten.

Top Bottom