• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Side-question - In the case of a school that hasn't had students in it for years, as someone stated... and is "closed", but owned by the school corp... Do you think an officer would be lenient with someone that plead ignorance on this?

I would expect one to... but, that doesn't mean much.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Side-question - In the case of a school that hasn't had students in it for years, as someone stated... and is "closed", but owned by the school corp... Do you think an officer would be lenient with someone that plead ignorance on this?

Doubt it but it does depend on what you are doing.
    In the example that strated this thread since "children are present" doubt it. The book will be tossed at you since "for children safety" it must be a GFZ.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Confirmed that all property west of post rd is owned by the school district.

Been wondering this for a while... My boys play in FTLL as well. I wasn't sure if the fields were actually owned by FTCSC or not. Since we have to park at the school to get to the fields, I don't risk it.

I've also wondered the same thing about the fields where Franklin Township Youth Football plays. You access the fields from the park off of Edgewood, but it backs up to what I know is school property... Not sure who actually owns it. I'm betting the FTCSC does.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    On the bright side, at least we now have the right to keep them locked inside our vehicles on school property instead of being forced to leave them at home.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Sometimes it depends on who sees you. Its much easier to overlook something like that if its just you there with your gun, but if there's a crowd and it's the type of crowd that called on a MWAG to begin with, it's a lot tougher. Even if the uniformed guy cuts you a break, if a complaint is filed the prosecutor may pick it up later.

On a side note, I wouldn't have known it was illegal until this thread, so you'd have gotten a pass from me as I would think a nonoperational school =/= a school.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Check the Deed

Is the property/building still owned by the school corporation?

Threshold question: who owns the building?

"School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation

I know that with some of the larger school districts many of the buildings are not owned by the school corporation but are instead owned by a separate real estate entity and then rented by the school corporation. If this school is in fact owned by a separate real estate entity, and is in fact closed and not being "rented by" the school corporation then it might(?) be okay.

The separate real estate entity is a way to get around taxing limitations for financing and improvements and probably hidden as well as a CIA front company. It would take a good bit of research and a legal opinion to know for sure so probably not worth the risk. May be a nice legal escape to research if you needed to get out of a conviction if caught.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    As far as the gentleman who was carrying and printing, is it possible he could have be an off duty LEO?

Reminds me of when I saw a man while walking out of the Greenwood High School graduation. He took off his overcoat, and had a Glock in a holster. I figured he was of the "JFC" persuasion, and asked what he carried. I stopped short of admitting if I did or did not carry at the time. Good thing... as I saw him walk to his police cruiser.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was going to ask a question similar to this, but I think this answers that question.

(C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales;

I was going to ask about carrying while attending a rummage sale at a church that also had their own school on property. Sounds like it would be a no-go.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I was going to ask a question similar to this, but I think this answers that question.

(C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales;

I was going to ask about carrying while attending a rummage sale at a church that also had their own school on property. Sounds like it would be a no-go.

99.9% of the time you are correct it would be a GFZ.
    As has been stated it depends on who owns the land.
    Look here for an example similar to yours.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...se/294399-where-does-school-end-part-2-a.html

In the above example the school property is not owned by the church but the dioceses so all the land owned by the dioceses is a GFZ due to having the school on one of the properties. However the church (St. Jon) does own just one parcel of land for a building they use and that sole parcel of land is not a GFZ. Since it's not attached to the parcels of land owned by the church used by the school.

In your case the way you word it I'm 99% sure that it's school property or a GFZ.
    You can leave your weapon unseen in your vehicle if you go and be OK thanks to the new law that passed this year.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    99.9% of the time you are correct it would be a GFZ.
    As has been stated it depends on who owns the land.
    Look here for an example similar to yours.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...se/294399-where-does-school-end-part-2-a.html

In the above example the school property is not owned by the church but the dioceses so all the land owned by the dioceses is a GFZ due to having the school on one of the properties. However the church (St. Jon) does own just one parcel of land for a building they use and that sole parcel of land is not a GFZ. Since it's not attached to the parcels of land owned by the church used by the school.

In your case the way you word it I'm 99% sure that it's school property or a GFZ.
    You can leave your weapon unseen in your vehicle if you go and be OK thanks to the new law that passed this year.

That's what I was thinking. In this case, the church and school were all in the same building.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I can think of some that would prefer to make that choice for themselves.

They do have that choice right now.
    The school board of a school can excepted anyone they want to.
    They couldput in writing that anyone with a ltch can carry, out all males, or anyone that wears pink, etc.
    That the school officals choosen not to is a different story.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    They do have that choice right now.
    The school board of a school can excepted anyone they want to.
    They could put in writing that anyone with a ltch can carry, out all males, or anyone that wears pink, etc.
    That the school officals choosen not to is a different story.

This is a completely different deal than not having it in the law in the first place, because now a private school potentially takes on some liability by creating exceptions. If it were not in the law, this would not be the case.

Top Bottom