• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Maybe they are taking it a little far with a jury trial and all but it is a well known rule that you cannot possess wildlife without a permit. There is good reason for it too. A law broken with good intentions is still a law broken. In this case it

is not even a stupid law. That being said,a fine should have been sufficient. no need for all this wasted money and publicity.

:rolleyes: Why does the government need to "permit" us to do anything...? For the greater good I suppose...

I'm just waiting for someone to jump in this thread and say "That's what they get for breaking the law!".

See first quote. :):

Provided the information in the article is a truthful accounting of what actually happened, I would vote 'not-guilty' if I were on that jury.

:+1: for jury nullification

There is simply no "good reason" for the system doing this to these people. I think DNR should lose something like 100% of their annual funding for doing such a boneheaded thing. Typical bureaucratic response to someone trying to set a situation right.

FTFY :):

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    So they corn fed a deer and waited until my corn was mature to release her so she could eat my corn? What is the problem here?

Lets say you raise chickens in the city. I raise a fox on chicken breasts then release her into your back yard. Problem?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I would hope a jury trial has been set.

For the land owners who had a rodent turned against their property. I agree. No different than throwing garbage on the lawn. Don't raise rodents who prey on others property then let them loose. I am glad you are siding with property owners.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    So they corn fed a deer and waited until my corn was mature to release her so she could eat my corn? What is the problem here?

Lets say you raise chickens in the city. I raise a fox on chicken breasts then release her into your back yard. Problem?

icwutudidthar.jpg

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    and why was this one deer "She was a threat to society is what they said," recalled Jeff.

I think what we need here is a ban of all deer, especially those scary looking ones with racks. They are running around hurting people, cars, property... someone get Feinstein on this :rolleyes:

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Has nothing to do with "the kings deer". This law is in place because keeping wild animals as pets is not good for the animal or humans. The deer will have less fear of humans and end up dead quick anyway. In the meantime the chances are high it would become a nuisance due to its decreased fear of humans. Not all laws are bad. Seems if you are not An anarchist on this site you are ridiculed. Also, accordingto the article, they had this deer Two years. They did not heal an injury and let it go. They kept it. A 2 1/2 year old deer is not a baby. They got attached and couldn't bear to give it up. As I said,I think a jury trial is overkill, but a fine would definitely be in order. If this involved any thing other than a cute a little deer people would feel different.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Sounds to me like a case of just plain old harassment and retribution by the DNR. Things were cool as long as the DNR could come out and kill it but once someone let it out that sort of pee'd on the DNR's party after that it was on. Sounds like a case of someone needing to be made an example of.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    The DNR simply gathers the evidence. The prosecutor decides whether to prosecute.

In Indiana a county prosecutor has absolute discretion whether or not to file criminal charges in a given situation. Even though a crime was technically committed, the prosecutor can refuse to file charges. This is why very few people are prosecuted for jay-walking, spitting on the sidewalk or tearing the tags off mattresses. The election of county prosecutors provides a check and balance on the abuse of prosecutorial discretion.

Apparently this particular prosecutor when presented with the evidence by the DNR, decided it would be a good use of his office's resources and the taxpayers money to bring these alleged criminals to justice. Another prosecutor may have told them "No, I'm not going to prosecute based on these facts."

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I thought it was common knowledge that wild animals can't be kept as pets.

With LEO's issuing permits for people to legally possess roadkilled deer, I don't see how ignorance can be used as any excuse.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Has nothing to do with "the kings deer". This law is in place because keeping wild animals as pets is not good for the animal or humans. The deer will have less fear of humans and end up dead quick anyway. In the meantime the chances are high it would become a nuisance due to its decreased fear of humans. Not all laws are bad. Seems if you are not An anarchist on this site you are ridiculed. Also, accordingto the article, they had this deer Two years. They did not heal an injury and let it go. They kept it. A 2 1/2 year old deer is not a baby. They got attached and couldn't bear to give it up. As I said,I think a jury trial is overkill, but a fine would definitely be in order. If this involved any thing other than a cute a little deer people would feel different.

lulz wut

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There are some government actions that are just too stupid to warrant being dignified with a specific response; Therefore, I will leave it at saying that this is a special kind of stupid.

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    There lawyer should talk to Scott Wilsons x-wife, Scott is one of the higher ups in the DNR and he did the exact same thing. What is good for a DNR Officer should be just as good for the public.

Top Bottom