• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOCOM242

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Another example of a government agency with too much funding and too much time on its hands.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    556418_461023993959200_233627606_n.jpg

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Maybe they are taking it a little far with a jury trial and all but it is a well known rule that you cannot possess wildlife without a permit. There is good reason for it too. A law broken with good intentions is still a law broken. In this case it

is not even a stupid law. That being said,a fine should have been sufficient. no need for all this wasted money and publicity.

Completely agree :yesway:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This change anyone's mind?

ISDH: Bovine Tuberculosis

I think jail time is over the top, but there is a legitimate reason to not "rescue" a deer, keep it 2 years, and then let it "inexplicably escape" before its put down. Primarily so that a wild deer isn't introduced to domesticated animal diseases, such as Bovine TB which has ravaged deer populations in Michigan, and damage the wildlife here as well as spread to humans.

Ever wonder why the Indians were ravaged by European diseases, but the returning Europeans never caused an epidemic in Europe from Indian diseases? The process of domesticating animals and the affects on the immune system is the most often cited reason.

Just food for thought, sometimes there's more to an issue than seen at first blush.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I think jail time is over the top, but there is a legitimate reason to not "rescue" a deer, keep it 2 years, and then let it "inexplicably escape" before its put down. Primarily so that a wild deer isn't introduced to domesticated animal diseases, such as Bovine TB which has ravaged deer populations in Michigan, and damage the wildlife here as well as spread to humans.

Ever wonder why the Indians were ravaged by European diseases, but the returning Europeans never caused an epidemic in Europe from Indian diseases? The process of domesticating animals and the affects on the immune system is the most often cited reason.

Just food for thought, sometimes there's more to an issue than seen at first blush.

You are joking, right? These people built a fenced enclosure in their back yard, not a farm lot. Did you even look at the pictures attached to the article? Better yet, have you ever lived on a farm. I rather doubt it or you would be well aware that the deer invade areas in which livestock are kept pretty much at will. I can appreciate that you would try to defend 'law and order' but you are stretching this way beyond the boundaries of plausibility.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

No.

buckhunter21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Southeast Indiana
    Completely agree :yesway:

I second that. There are reasons its a law people. Do your homework, it not just a case of "saving a fawn".

A plea was offered in order not to go to trail that more than likely would result in a fine and save the county money. That plea was rejected. Good luck proving you didn't break a law after admitting you new you were.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I second that. There are reasons its a law people. Do your homework, it not just a case of "saving a fawn".

A plea was offered in order not to go to trail that more than likely would result in a fine and save the county money. That plea was rejected. Good luck proving you didn't break a law after admitting you new you were.

Ah yes, because a law on the books is ALWAYS reasonable and appropriate.

Jim Crow laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wanna vote? Just pass this reading test, unless of course you're grandfathered in. You wanna sue? Please. There is a reason it's a law!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    My e-mail to the governor...

Governor, it is with the greatest disappointment that I learn you have stated that DNR "acted appropriately" in their malicious prosecution of the kind-hearted couple that opened their home to a deer fawn in distress.

I am retired from law enforcement myself, and no, DNR did NOT act appropriately in this case. DISCRETION is a vital component of being effective as a law enforcement officer, and discretion CLEARLY should have been exercised in this case. This is nothing more than a case of jack-booted thugs abusing their authority because they can get away with it.

Governor, do the right thing. If you do not I can assure you that you've seen my vote for the last time.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)

Art. 1, Sec. 19, of Indiana’s Constitution says:

In all criminal cases whatever, the jury shall have the right to determine the law and the facts..

Exactly, I would argue for jury nullification. "Yep my client did it, please enter a verdict of not guilty." Attorneys do this more than you would think, however, most of the time it is unsuccessful. In this case it may work. You have the right to a jury trial screw saving the county money.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom