Conservation Officer needs no search warrant (?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    As many idiots Leo's and CO's have deal with its a wonder that are nice ones to deal with. Seen both and dealt a little with both.. Most have good to deal with. If your doing the crime you'll eventually do the time. Seen the power trips but usually don't last. Yes there are exceptions.. (No popcorn).

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have never had a CO on my property uninvited. When we have needed them, they have been very responsive and professional. I have their cell numbers in my phone now so that if I need them, I can call without going through a dispatch center.

I have no complaints about them and have not seen any abuse of their powers here. The only people here that have complained about them, are people who get caught in the wrong. There were some young boys here that got caught recently driving their 4WD trucks on DNR property and tearing things up. They were told to repair the damage and they would no be charged. They fixed what they had messed up, and they were let go with a warning not to do it again. I thought that was VERY fair.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I understand the "law" enforcement angle but that's like having the health inspector
    being able to do a traffic stop because they enforce health law. It's just a silly overreach.

A health inspector isn't certified by the state to enforce traffic laws, just like I'm not certified to enforce public health laws. Two totally different animals.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yes, they can walk in your woods without a warrant. So can I. Open Fields doctrine. If they see criminal activity in plain view, they can use the plain view exception to the warrant rule.

Additionally, there are some "implied consent" type laws that apply to hunting and fishing. Like the implied consent laws for driving related to a DUI investigation, but geared toward verifying licenses, bag limits, etc. It is in Indiana Code if you are fishing they can compel you to show a fishing license, for example. They can also search your fish basket, game bag, vehicle, etc. They CANNOT just walk into a house, barn, etc. without one of the exceptions any other cop needs.

14-22-39-3 : Indiana Code - Section 14-22-39-3: Searches of effects; entry onto property

Gotta spread the rep, so you can't have any of that. But thanks for posting some facts in this thread. Things were getting out of hand here for a minute.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why are CO allowed to do a traffic stop?
    That is jacked up. Save our fish, leave the police work to the police.

They ARE the police. Conservation Officer's go to the same ILEA training that most local cops do before going to their own specialized training. ILEA: Basic Training - Tier I They are better trained than your town marshals and 40-hour pre-basic reserve departments.

Exactly. You're not out looking for 13" bass or deer out of season either.

They are the primary law enforcement officers for DNR lands and waters. DUI on a boat on DNR land, people growing dope or making meth on public land, etc. It's not all fur/fish/game.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Poacher lucky he didn't take his firearms and ATV, and for that matter if it was on his property I think they can even seize that. Long ago I heard of some guys that got caught poaching from a new truck, the owner lost it. DNR have a lot of power, only ever knew one that was a jackwagon and he's gone. All the others I have met are pretty dang good people and officers. Couple years ago a local got caught poaching a deer in a wildlife refuge, the CO was just going to give him a ticket but the guy started blowing him crap, lol….the guy shot the deer, dragged to his property and had it hanging….the CO finally got sick of it and arrested him.

He wasn't on his property. He was out and about, after someone reported the guy, the DNR Officer heard him "rattling" and started the whole thing, I was halfway paying attention in court, but I think he found a guy pile, and it was before the season had even started. So he started his investigation based on that.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yep don't **** with the CO's. I saw a guy (yes my own eyes) be dumb with them (he was seriously that dumb and didn't know) and the CO was happy to tell him he could take the very clothes off the mans back if he wished since he had wire them while he killed the animals he shouldn't have.
    the CO mercifully (yeah I'm being sarcastic) left him his clothes but did relieve him of his guns and hIs vehicle.

i was hunting with a good friend. We observed this and didn't know the guys. (There were 2). They were true idiots that really didn't know better but they should have. You can't just go shoot anything that's living in Indiana with a hunting permit.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Cops use CO's to enter drug (meth) houses when they can't get a warrant.

Alright. You guys are making my head hurt.

No, they don't. If they do, I am very interested in a case like this.

Wish more meth cases had the police walking into houses.

Why are CO allowed to do a traffic stop?

Because they are cops. State troopers in green.

They are cops just like every city cop, county deputy, town marshal, state trooper, investigator for the Prosecuting Attorney, etc.

The whole "COs have super powers" is an 8th grade boy talking about sex rumor that I have heard in gun shops since the 1970s. Spread by people who have little contact with law enforcement but have received tickets for stealing deer or having too many white bass. While Cledus the deputy Sheriff may not care, it is the CO's job to get involved in the Bambi Police stuff and the General Assembly has delegated to them the duty to protect the state's property interest in its wildlife.

Everyone relax. Same rules dealing with po-po apply to Conservation Officers. Besides no one here is poaching or theiving so no reason to worry.:D

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    They ARE the police. Conservation Officer's go to the same ILEA training that most local cops do before going to their own specialized training. ILEA: Basic Training - Tier I They are better trained than your town marshals and 40-hour pre-basic reserve departments.

They are the primary law enforcement officers for DNR lands and waters. DUI on a boat on DNR land, people growing dope or making meth on public land, etc. It's not all fur/fish/game.

You might want to rethink the comment about lack of training for Town Marshals. Zionsville is a Town based on its population and choice not to become a city. I would submit the current Town Marshall has as much, if not more, formal law enforcement education as you " fancy city " police officers.

YMMV

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You might want to rethink the comment about lack of training for Town Marshals. Zionsville is a Town based on its population and choice not to become a city. I would submit the current Town Marshall has as much, if not more, formal law enforcement education as you " fancy city " police officers.

YMMV

I'm sure there are exceptions, just like some sheriffs have more experience than others due to previous LEO positions and the like. However the mandatory training to be a town marshal is a shortened version of full ILEA certs and many folks operate under the minimums. My point was not to say they are "less than". My point is that CO's are full police and are trained well beyond just fur/fish/game laws in the way health inspectors are trained only in their own area of authority.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

YMMV
    Just like some cops get more butt hurt than others when you question their authoritEY or experience. Usually the ones that are the most relaxed are the ones you don't wanna **** with

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just to reinforce BBI's point that CO's get excellent training, check out this CO saving the life of an Illinois State Trooper.

[video=youtube;ytJpqi3EYa0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytJpqi3EYa0[/video]

This man's quick thinking, reaction speed, and marksmanship were the sort of thing to make anyone proud.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have never had a CO on my property uninvited. When we have needed them, they have been very responsive and professional. I have their cell numbers in my phone now so that if I need them, I can call without going through a dispatch center.

I have no complaints about them and have not seen any abuse of their powers here. The only people here that have complained about them, are people who get caught in the wrong. There were some young boys here that got caught recently driving their 4WD trucks on DNR property and tearing things up. They were told to repair the damage and they would no be charged. They fixed what they had messed up, and they were let go with a warning not to do it again. I thought that was VERY fair.

Mom...up until a few months ago...there were random bullets flying through your woods! OF COURSE they didn't appear! :)

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Just to reinforce BBI's point that CO's get excellent training, check out this CO saving the life of an Illinois State Trooper.

[video=youtube;ytJpqi3EYa0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytJpqi3EYa0[/video]

This man's quick thinking, reaction speed, and marksmanship were the sort of thing to make anyone proud.

So one CO that is squared away means they are all like that?

There are some absolute awesome cops that shoot and are quick on their feet and there are some...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom