Conservation Officer needs no search warrant (?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    yeah, when the DNR shows up, you better have your bags packed. Power trip!!!

:rolleyes: Wow, what an insightful post. My brother is a Conservation Officer and I know/met several of his fellow officers. Never have I run into one with a "Power Trip". Of course they may get a bit of attitude when they run into know-it-all douche bags.

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Mom...up until a few months ago...there were random bullets flying through your woods! OF COURSE they didn't appear! :)

Well, they certainly got that stopped for us and have been helpful a couple of other times when I have had to call them. I have nothing but respect for the ones in our area.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    So one CO that is squared away means they are all like that?

There are some absolute awesome cops that shoot and are quick on their feet and there are some...

Wow!
    Assume much?
    Maybe you can show me exactly where I wrote that, right?
    I won't be holding breath waiting, though.

rockola1971

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    Over Here
    I think he meant Blue Heron. They are definitely protected!

and why anyone would even want to shoot one is beyond me. I guess if I were starving and it was the only food in sight but I think ive seen maybe 3 in my life in the wild so I wont be letting my stomach growl too long waiting on one of them to show up to feed me.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yes, herons are definitely protected, as are all birds of prey.
    That includes vultures, hawks, falcons, eagles, and even egrets, storks, seagulls and albatrosses.
    There are others

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've heard a couple stories about the CO in my county that make him out to not be the nicest guy ever, but I haven't had a run in with him... I have however met the one in the county East of me and had to call the one from the county south of me. Both of which were super awesome guys, and I really have no problems with them all. I tend to really like them.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You might want to rethink the comment about lack of training for Town Marshals. Zionsville is a Town based on its population and choice not to become a city. I would submit the current Town Marshall has as much, if not more, formal law enforcement education as you " fancy city " police officers.

YMMV

Not sure it srs, or bad at telling jokes. What Marshals are we talking about in Zionsville?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think he meant Blue Heron. They are definitely protected!

and why anyone would even want to shoot one is beyond me. I guess if I were starving and it was the only food in sight but I think ive seen maybe 3 in my life in the wild so I wont be letting my stomach growl too long waiting on one of them to show up to feed me.
    Yep that's what I meant thanks.
    Some people have no hunting experience or education at all. Hell there's plenty of people even gun people who don't hunt that think HUNTING a deer is as easy as just walking out in the woods and shooting one that walks by you and winks.
    ITs called hunting for a reason.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    the way it was explained to me was if you had a fishing/hunting license you have already given consent to a search (like a drivers license and alcohol tests) and if you dont have your license and are doing your outdoorsy stuff you are breaking the law and they dont need consent. that may be wrong but it was how it was simplified and explained to a bunch of dumb criminal justice students.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    As an aside, thanks for sharing that video. That happened very near my hometown. I didn't realize there was a readily-available video. Sometimes on the local newspaper website, there are idiots wanting to blame the cops for that shooting, as if the driver "accidentally" hit the cop with the car.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As an aside, thanks for sharing that video. That happened very near my hometown. I didn't realize there was a readily-available video. Sometimes on the local newspaper website, there are idiots wanting to blame the cops for that shooting, as if the driver "accidentally" hit the cop with the car.

Agreed 100%, and the video doesn't lie.
    The driver was clearly trying to kill the trooper, and he would have done it were it not for the CO taking action like a boss.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    A CO showed up at my dad's farm one day.....said he was going to go for a walk out in the woods. Dad told him to go pound sand. CO said he was going for a walk and there was nothing dad could do about it. Dad walks into the house and grabs a bunch of bullseys targets and gives them to the CO. CO asks what they are for. Dad says "So you know what I'm shooting at."

CO gets in his car and leaves never to be seen again.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    and why anyone would even want to shoot one is beyond me...

Let's be clear, I'm not condoning it. As matter of education though, there are folks who have a strong dislike for blue herons. The owners of well managed lakes and ponds don't care for them at all. On top of eating the fish the herons carry parasites that spread to the fish and waterway.

Herons also are not easily dissuaded from their easy prey finds. Lots of reports of these birds invading folk's backyard coy ponds and returning to finish the buffet after being shewed off numerous times.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom