Conservation Officer needs no search warrant (?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have heard about them walking up to people on private property, but never seen it. If they get a complaint, it would be legitimate for them to check it out. I met one on a Hunters Safety Course many years ago and he was a good person.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    My default position is to always respect law enforcement. However, if I ever have an unidentified threat on my property, I WILL deal with it as such. That's all I have to say.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My opinion about COs is identical as it is for cops: Use the Golden Rule with them, and your odds of trouble are almost zero.
    I have yet to have a problem with either.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    How is a uniformed officer an "unidentified threat"? You better be damn sure of what you are doing before you do it.

My first response to that would be "So should the officer involved". I'm making no threats towards LE here. I'm just a really big fan of protecting my personal property rights, that's all. If I legitimately perceive a threat to my family or property, I will not be consulting law books to determine who legally has a right to violate me before I take action. If the law says an officer of any agency can sneak on to my property unannounced with no warrant or legally defined probable cause, then they had better be prepared to accept my reaction to that unconstitutional action. If that causes me legal problems, so be it. I'll fight the best I can and let the cards fall where they may. I will NOT willingly allow myself, my family, or my property to be unconstitutionally violated just because an unconstitutional law was created to allow them to do it.

Frank, I've read enough of your posts to honestly say that I personally respect you. I know you work hard every day helping all of us and you have my gratitude for that. So please don't take this as anything personal against you. I'm just posting what I really believe here, that's all.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    My first response to that would be "So should the officer involved". I'm making no threats towards LE here. I'm just a really big fan of protecting my personal property rights, that's all. If I legitimately perceive a threat to my family or property, I will not be consulting law books to determine who legally has a right to violate me before I take action. If the law says an officer of any agency can sneak on to my property unannounced with no warrant or legally defined probable cause, then they had better be prepared to accept my reaction to that unconstitutional action. If that causes me legal problems, so be it. I'll fight the best I can and let the cards fall where they may. I will NOT willingly allow myself, my family, or my property to be unconstitutionally violated just because an unconstitutional law was created to allow them to do it.

Frank, I've read enough of your posts to honestly say that I personally respect you. I know you work hard every day helping all of us and you have my gratitude for that. So please don't take this as anything personal against you. I'm just posting what I really believe here, that's all.

I think you are taking it to the extreme. I am sure you will respond with "it would never happen", but there are times that an officer must step on to someone's property unannounced for lawful purposes. I would hate to see you react improperly to an officer attempting to make some sort of death notification to you or gather information about a crime that has occurred in the area.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Soooo, you don't get a lot of UPS deliveries then, do ya?:D

Not anymore........... SOB never knew what hit him.

fire7.jpg

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I think you are taking it to the extreme. I am sure you will respond with "it would never happen", but there are times that an officer must step on to someone's property unannounced for lawful purposes. I would hate to see you react improperly to an officer attempting to make some sort of death notification to you or gather information about a crime that has occurred in the area.

An officer in a situation like that would be knocking on my door like any other person, not trying to gain entry by some other means without announcing the fact that they are LE. I'm not an idiot, just not a pushover either.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    An officer in a situation like that would be knocking on my door like any other person, not trying to gain entry by some other means without announcing the fact that they are LE. I'm not an idiot, just not a pushover either.

I'll ask my CO buddy if they make a habit to walk into structures unannounced and sans warrant. I never said you were an idiot or a pushover, but I really think you are taking this to the extreme.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I'll ask my CO buddy if they make a habit to walk into structures unannounced and sans warrant. I never said you were an idiot or a pushover, but I really think you are taking this to the extreme.

I can acknowledge that. I just tend to get a bit worked up over laws that may legally allow anyone to violate my Constitutional rights.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    There is NO "lol" here. I am completely serious. See my response to Frank. It applies to you as well.
    I certainly understand your position. However, for instance, I'm tracking a suspect with K9 and we cross yard to yard following their path. We generally don't have enough time to knock on every door as we are tracking. We are, however, very well marked in our uniforms. Please indentify your target before engaging. This rules applies to everyone.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I can acknowledge that. I just tend to get a bit worked up over laws that may legally allow anyone to violate my Constitutional rights.

What law? Out of curiosity do you believe the Constitution means literally only what the text says or that it is to be interpreted via intent and context?

Top Bottom