• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I remember mid 70's for Christmas one year my brother and I got Army sets that contained-
    Plastic army helmet, Vest, belt, knife, and a M1 Garand

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I used to love to play with erector sets

One of my favorite toys. I used to hook up the motor to the speedometer on my brother's bicycle just to run up the miles. Would do that every now and then. Never told him until a year or two later. Was fun to watch him stare at that thing and wonder where all those miles were coming from. :)

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I still have my AFX, not the Golden Gate, and have two of my Chattanooga train sets. My favorite was my Whirly Bird. Not much of a drone but lots of fun. Googled it and all I'm finding close is Verti Bird. Alway remembered as Whirly Bird. Must be part of the berenstain bears conspiracy.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    We had a Sonic Blaster. Looked like a bazooka and you pumped it up and when you pulled the trigger it shot a significant air blast and a big BOOM. Found a pic but can't get it moved with my phone. I believe this toy was another victim of the CPSC.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    We had a Sonic Blaster. Looked like a bazooka and you pumped it up and when you pulled the trigger it shot a significant air blast and a big BOOM. Found a pic but can't get it moved with my phone. I believe this toy was another victim of the CPSC.

Here's a commercial for the blaster:
    <span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px;">[video=youtube;El6t8lcz0V4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El6t8lcz0V4[/video]

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I had one of those, I'm thinking 1969ish. The creatures came in the form of little flattened blocks and you put them in the cooker so they'd open up.

I also had a geology set with lots of different mineral samples. One of those samples was a chunk of asbestos.

Okay now I am jealous......

If I needed asbestos for my mineral set I would just go outside and break a small corner off of the siding of the house...Seriously...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    GI JOE (the real one, not the puny pretenders)
    Johnny West
    Big Jim
    Major Matt Mason
    Action Jackson
    Mego Super Heroes
    Captain Action

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Johnny Reb Cannon. I took head off the ramrod and converted it into a makeshift harpoon gun. It was awesome (and unsafe).

$_35.JPG

Now yer talkin. Brother had one around 1962 or so. Darn thing was nearly lethal.

Ask my cousin, she took one to the chest for tattling.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    GI JOE (the real one, not the puny pretenders)
    Johnny West
    Big Jim
    Major Matt Mason
    Action Jackson
    Mego Super Heroes
    Captain Action

Had all those except Captain Action. I wish I had all my Matt Mason toys. I remember having a Green Alien, and the Alien's ship. I also had the Mego Star Trek action figures, and the Enterprise.
    Had the AFX track as well, and the plastic creature maker.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I also had the Mattel Vacu-form machine... It would basically heat up thin sheets of plastic, and then you would pump the air out and the plastic would form to your "mold" to make race car bodies and other toys. When Creepy Crawlers came out, you could buy molds that would fit on the heating tray of the vacu-form to "cook" the plastic into all kinds of worms, bugs and other critters. My favorite was a shrunken head that I'd make with glow in the dark plastic. I'm sure the safety nazis would have a field day with something like that today!

vacuform-front-of-box.jpg

MATTEL_THINGMAKER_TOY_FEATURING_CREEPY_CRAWLERS_SET_4477_BOX_LID.JPG

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I also had the Mattel Vacu-form machine... It would basically heat up thin sheets of plastic, and then you would pump the air out and the plastic would form to your "mold" to make race car bodies and other toys. When Creepy Crawlers came out, you could buy molds that would fit on the heating tray of the vacu-form to "cook" the plastic into all kinds of worms, bugs and other critters. My favorite was a shrunken head that I'd make with glow in the dark plastic. I'm sure the safety nazis would have a field day with something like that today!

vacuform-front-of-box.jpg

MATTEL_THINGMAKER_TOY_FEATURING_CREEPY_CRAWLERS_SET_4477_BOX_LID.JPG

My older brother had a similar thing that made little cowboys, Indians and horses etc. I want to think it was called "The Injector" and used round plastic inch long pellets. You drop them into the machine until they melt then inject the molten plastic into the mold of your choice. We both got burned using that thing. I had a Verti-Bird. It was a helicopter that was tethered to a base via a nylon covered rod that housed the drive shaft and control rods. I also had a wind up M16 that made a ton of noise. I was big into farm toys too. I saved up and bought an Oliver tractor (1800 NF). The brother and I also were into the Major Matt Mason stuff. I had the Steve Storm one with some kind of mortar launcher thing.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Jonny Quest's sidekick couldn't be named Hadji anymore.

Lots of middle easterner's take it as a racial insult. It would be more like Muhammad today.

Ahh...the good ol days

Top Bottom