• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Jonny Quest's sidekick couldn't be named Hadji anymore.

Lots of middle easterner's take it as a racial insult. It would be more like Muhammad today.

Ahh...the good ol days

At work we have an American Indian, everyone,and I mean everyone from management down calls him Hadji

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I just kick myself in the ass for never having ordered 'X-Ray Specs', or 'Plans to build a hovercraft using a vacuum cleaner' from the backs of my comics a a kid :(

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Johnny Reb Cannon. I took head off the ramrod and converted it into a makeshift harpoon gun. It was awesome (and unsafe).

$_35.JPG

There's one on eBay....

Remco Johnny Reb Cannon Has 5 Balls Manual Box Ramrod 1961 Civil War Works | eBay

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Had all those except Captain Action. I wish I had all my Matt Mason toys. I remember having a Green Alien, and the Alien's ship. I also had the Mego Star Trek action figures, and the Enterprise.
    Had the AFX track as well, and the plastic creature maker.

Captain Action eluded me in its original form. I only knew him from ads in the back of comic books, plus somehow I received the Captain America accessory set (I wish I still had all of those pieces!) that I used with GI JOE. In the 1990s, Mantis Toys did a re-make of Captain Action. They were not popular and when they went on clearance at Kaybee toys online, I pounced.

I wish I had my Matt Mason gear too. Because of the way they were built, intact specimens are rare and expensive!

What was the name of Johnny West's Indian sidekick? I can't remember for the life of me.

That was Geronimo.

They also has General Custer, Captain Maddox, Jane West, a boy and a girls whose names evade me (Jared Fogle probably would know those), and of couse, the villain, Sam Cobra. There were a few others I never saw, plus similar Marx toys that were vikings and soldiers (Stony Smith, who was Johnny West's head with WW II soldier body).

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Suction cup dart guns. Had set these and one looked like a 1911 and the other was a over and under shotgun, they were so cool.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    That was Geronimo.

They also has General Custer, Captain Maddox, Jane West, a boy and a girls whose names evade me (Jared Fogle probably would know those), and of couse, the villain, Sam Cobra. There were a few others I never saw, plus similar Marx toys that were vikings and soldiers (Stony Smith, who was Johnny West's head with WW II soldier body).

I had Sam Cobra......he was wearing Fu Manchu beard style before Fu Manchu style was cool...Plus he had a derringer in his belt buckle...I always figured the guy at North American Arms who designed the Belt Buckle .22 probably had a Sam Cobra action figure....

Like you I pick these up when I can (there is an LNIB RCMP GI Joe or "Action Man" as they were called in Europe here in the shop and no it's not for sale.:)) I had Captain Maddox, Johnny West, Sam Cobra, and Geronimo (along with his horse)...I still have Sam Cobra, Geronimo and his buffalo head dress....
    Z0091583.jpg

3172363575_a1db121daf_m.jpg
    0004f99cc2e26233bdcaf738290f1962.jpg

I had them all displayed at our house in Scottsburg about 13 years ago...My wife has always given me my own "room" where I can display what I want...We were showing the house to a young twenty something girl and her mother who were looking at houses for the daughter...We are walking them through the house showing the improvements...

We got to my room and the wife opened the door....The mother and daughter both said in unison..."Awww cute!!! So how old is your little boy?"

My wife never missed a beat and said, "He just turned 37 last week..."

I then felt compelled to explain the difference between "dolls" and "action figures"....:)

True Story..The wife ranks it as one of her best quips.....

Last edited:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I had a "Man from U.N.C.L.E." radio that unfolded into a short stocked rifle, the barrel slid out from the side. Also had a Decoder Radio that looked like a Cigarette Case. Also owned the Tommy Burst Tommy Gun. You pulled back the spring handle and it chattered like a Thompson SMG. Couple of cap pistols that flipped up the side, and a roll of paper caps slid in and under the hammer. (My Dad was a Chief Gunner's Mate in USN. He had vast knowledge of small arms, and Navy Ships Big Guns)
    Saturdays we played Cowboys and Gangsters. Never even went in for lunch as we had a "fort" in the deserted empty lot next door. It became like weeds 2-3 ft tall which was perfect hiding out in. Lot of fun in those days.
    They would call SWAT now if you ran around taking turns with the "Tommy". Wow.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Many of the "toys" I played with as a child would scare the helx out of the liberals today. I did own one or two cap guns. Friend and I used to make exploding darts, we would take a small corn cob, insert a nail down the center, cut the phosphorous end off a few kitchen matches, wrap them in foil with a nail head against them an insert this against the nail in the cob with the last nail pointing out. We would stick chicken tail feathers in the other end to make the cob sail (hard to catch the chickens twice). When you threw this against a tree, it made a pretty good "bang"!

We also made several pretty strong long bows. We made arrows and fixed stone arrowheads in the arrows, notched and feathered them, actually were fairly accurate, although we tried we never hit any game, birds, squirrels or rabbits. Did have a game shooting them straight up then dodging them. That stopped when one boy hit his foot, don't know what he told his parents but it was bleeding pretty good.

I also had a real big chemical set, a gun that shot "Ping pong" balls, several slingshots made from forked branches and rubber from old bicycle inner tubes. Of course in the 1940's it was considered safe to allow children to play in a woods a half mile or so from home so we spent a lot of time there, we always carried a pocket knife after about age 7 (even in school), and a hunting knife in the woods after age 10 or so, BB and pellet rifles after age 10 or 11, never had any problems with any of these.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    We had a Sonic Blaster. Looked like a bazooka and you pumped it up and when you pulled the trigger it shot a significant air blast and a big BOOM. Found a pic but can't get it moved with my phone. I believe this toy was another victim of the CPSC.

Here's a commercial for the blaster:
    <span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px;">[video=youtube;El6t8lcz0V4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El6t8lcz0V4[/video]
    I had the Agent Zero M radio rifle a long time ago. Funny to see how young Kurt Russel is in the commercials. He's now 64 years old.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, Sam Cobra had the best gear. Mine lost most of his to GI JOE over the years . . . he needed a belt buckle derringer more!

That Action Man set is sweet!

Most of my vintage stuff was originally mine or my brother's and I inherited it. I did try to complete a few of them with Cotswold parts, but I don't have much that would make a "collector" go crazy trying to buy it.

I had Sam Cobra......he was wearing Fu Manchu beard style before Fu Manchu style was cool...Plus he had a derringer in his belt buckle...I always figured the guy at North American Arms who designed the Belt Buckle .22 probably had a Sam Cobra action figure....

Like you I pick these up when I can (there is an LNIB RCMP GI Joe or "Action Man" as they were called in Europe here in the shop and no it's not for sale.:)) I had Captain Maddox, Johnny West, Sam Cobra, and Geronimo (along with his horse)...I still have Sam Cobra, Geronimo and his buffalo head dress....
    Z0091583.jpg

3172363575_a1db121daf_m.jpg
    0004f99cc2e26233bdcaf738290f1962.jpg

I had them all displayed at our house in Scottsburg about 13 years ago...My wife has always given me my own "room" where I can display what I want...We were showing the house to a young twenty something girl and her mother who were looking at houses for the daughter...We are walking them through the house showing the improvements...

We got to my room and the wife opened the door....The mother and daughter both said in unison..."Awww cute!!! So how old is your little boy?"

My wife never missed a beat and said, "He just turned 37 last week..."

I then felt compelled to explain the difference between "dolls" and "action figures"....:)

True Story..The wife ranks it as one of her best quips.....

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Here is my by Marx "Mike Hazard" figure. He was a secret agent type fellow from back in the time when secret agents were all the rage. {Early to mid 1960s.} Don't have all of his accessories, some have been lost over the years, but he still has his trench coat, disguises, briefcases, bullet proof vest, etc. His pistols were a Luger, some stripe of Beretta, sort of, a derringer, and a trusty Government .45. Also some bigassed hand grenades if things really went south.......

The satchel and briefcase have a crude spring loaded trigger device that would throw like a mousetrap when dropped. {in theory} You were supposed to put Greenie Stick 'Em caps in the mechanism to simulate an "explosion". Since I rarely [never] was treated to Greenie Stick 'Ems, I made do with carefully placing a cheap Acme cap under the hammer plate and hope that it didn't slip out when I dropped it for old Mike. I remember having about a 40% success rate.

I believe he pre dated the Johnny West figures by a year or two. I have his original box around here somewhere, I'll try to dig it out, as I think it has a copyright date on it.

I spent a lot of hours playing with this character.

View attachment 40840
    ay90ll.jpg
    [/IMG]

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Used to have a grenade with a metal tip under which went the paper roll caps, so it would bang when it landed. My old army set had spring loaded artillery pieces that would fire plastic shells. Of cours they were soon lost and replaced with bits of stick or gravel. I had an old metal fire truck that a garden hose would screw into so you could spray water. Also had my mom's old easy bake oven, nothing like waiting an hour and a half for a dried out tasteless brownie.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "Dr. Benton Quest and Roger "Race" Bannon. Back row: Jonny Quest, Hadji, and Bandit"
    No, not Johnny Quest. Johnny West - a cowboy action figure kind of like G.I. Joe, only in western garb. He had a horse and his Indian (Native American Indian) companion with his horse. :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Captain Action eluded me in its original form. I only knew him from ads in the back of comic books, plus somehow I received the Captain America accessory set (I wish I still had all of those pieces!) that I used with GI JOE. In the 1990s, Mantis Toys did a re-make of Captain Action. They were not popular and when they went on clearance at Kaybee toys online, I pounced.

I wish I had my Matt Mason gear too. Because of the way they were built, intact specimens are rare and expensive!

That was Geronimo.

Ah, thanks! I never would have guessed that. I had "Tonto" stuck in my head, even though I knew that was the Lone Ranger's sidekick.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That Mike Hazard set is awesome! I've never heard of it, but I recognize many of the accessories. The derringer, handcufss, and sword cane all came with Sam Cobra too. The figure is the same as Capt. Maddox, one of the Johhny West cavalry figures. Very nice!

Here is my by Marx "Mike Hazard" figure. He was a secret agent type fellow from back in the time when secret agents were all the rage. {Early to mid 1960s.} Don't have all of his accessories, some have been lost over the years, but he still has his trench coat, disguises, briefcases, bullet proof vest, etc. His pistols were a Luger, some stripe of Beretta, sort of, a derringer, and a trusty Government .45. Also some bigassed hand grenades if things really went south.......

The satchel and briefcase have a crude spring loaded trigger device that would throw like a mousetrap when dropped. {in theory} You were supposed to put Greenie Stick 'Em caps in the mechanism to simulate an "explosion". Since I rarely [never] was treated to Greenie Stick 'Ems, I made do with carefully placing a cheap Acme cap under the hammer plate and hope that it didn't slip out when I dropped it for old Mike. I remember having about a 40% success rate.

I believe he pre dated the Johnny West figures by a year or two. I have his original box around here somewhere, I'll try to dig it out, as I think it has a copyright date on it.

I spent a lot of hours playing with this character.

View attachment 40840

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    That Mike Hazard set is awesome! I've never heard of it, but I recognize many of the accessories. The derringer, handcufss, and sword cane all came with Sam Cobra too. The figure is the same as Capt. Maddox, one of the Johhny West cavalry figures. Very nice!

Thanks!

There are a few pieces I'm missing. There was a stiletto, that actually went into a notch behind the necktie, a cigarette lighter, and a few others I've lost over the years. The stiletto and the cigarette lighter are TINY, and that is why they are long gone.

One of the prize possessions of my childhood.

Yep, I've noticed the similarities of some of the Marx figures. I'm sure they used accessories that would work for multiple characters whenever they reasonably do so.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Jonny Quest's sidekick couldn't be named Hadji anymore.

Lots of middle easterner's take it as a racial insult. It would be more like Muhammad today.

Ahh...the good ol days

I though Hadji was a Hindu or Sikh from his dress and headgear. Perhaps misnamed...?

Top Bottom