• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I wish I would have copied mine. When I get around to ordering a duplicate with my new addy I will definitely make copies.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    It looks hilarious, 2 of them came out looking fine, but the other two have the edge of the tape running down the middle and it's obvious he used tape.
    I can understand the copying. But using tape instead of spending the 1.20 for lamination. That is beyond frugal.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I personally think they should put it on your drivers license, like a endorsement. I guess that would conflict with the 6 year renewal standard they have now though.

Maybe only lifetime permit holder can have it on their drivers license.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    That would probably be better than a plastic handgun license card, a DL is only $5 or so to replace, I think. If they could do that and still keep the pink paper cards too, it would be perfect.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I personally think they should put it on your drivers license, like a endorsement. I guess that would conflict with the 6 year renewal standard they have now though.

Not for me. I like the way they do it now. I have four copies scattered around to ensure I'm never without it. I have Zero concern about showing one of my identical copies to a LEO. The point is, you better have it on you or nearby if you ever need to produce it.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    Not for me. I like the way they do it now. I have four copies scattered around to ensure I'm never without it. I have Zero concern about showing one of my identical copies to a LEO. The point is, you better have it on you or nearby if you ever need to produce it.

I have copies too, but it would be easier for me to just have it on the back of my DL. I never leave my house without my DL. I keep one copy in the truck one on file, and one in my wallet.

I guess it wold be nice to have the option of having it on your DL, like both cards and on the DL.

Another up side to having it on your DL is if you lost it, it only takes a few minutes to go up to the DMV and get a new one. I don't know what the wait time is for ISP but I am willing to bet losing it your DL on Saturday night, going to the DMV Monday and renewing it is faster than getting a replacement from ISP. This is of course assuming that you haven't made copies.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

State Rep. Jackie Walorski introduced a bill to do this in 2008. It did not go anywhere at all in Pat Bauer's House.

Personally, I'd rather not have it on my DL. I have to show that in too many places, such as if cashing a check, proving my citizenship at a new job, etc. Those who frequent bars might have to show it if "carded". I don't want an endorsement on there that anyone can look at and thus discover that I might be carrying at any given time. If it must be on there, put it in the machine-readable strip on the back. Yes, that can be read also. I found a program on the web that can decipher it back to plain English, but I don't have to make a copy of it for grocery stores or show the back of it for employment.

I cannot think of any time when someone other than a LEO (or BMV) might need to "read" my DL's machine-code.

Blessings,
    Bill

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    State Rep. Jackie Walorski introduced a bill to do this in 2008. It did not go anywhere at all in Pat Bauer's House.

Personally, I'd rather not have it on my DL. I have to show that in too many places, such as if cashing a check, proving my citizenship at a new job, etc. Those who frequent bars might have to show it if "carded". I don't want an endorsement on there that anyone can look at and thus discover that I might be carrying at any given time. If it must be on there, put it in the machine-readable strip on the back. Yes, that can be read also. I found a program on the web that can decipher it back to plain English, but I don't have to make a copy of it for grocery stores or show the back of it for employment.

I cannot think of any time when someone other than a LEO (or BMV) might need to "read" my DL's machine-code.

Blessings,
    Bill

:yesway:Repped. Just leave the damn thing alone.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI

Blessings,
    Bill

+2

Buckaroo

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I can understand the copying. But using tape instead of spending the 1.20 for lamination. That is beyond frugal.

Yes. Come by my shop and I'll laminate it for FREE.

That's right FREE. TO ALL INGO MEMBERS.

But you better hurry this offer is set to expire NEVER. :yesway:

Gunpowder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Marshall County
    I had my wallet stolen back in Feb. I thought I had made copies but couldn't find it so had to pay $20 and request another copy of my lifetime. 14-18 weeks later???? Ya right. well guess what I just found tonight. The original envelope with a copy in it. Now I don't have to wait!

Another reason to make copies.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    I had my wallet stolen back in Feb. I thought I had made copies but couldn't find it so had to pay $20 and request another copy of my lifetime. 14-18 weeks later???? Ya right. well guess what I just found tonight. The original envelope with a copy in it. Now I don't have to wait!

Another reason to make copies.

If I found my original envelope (it is in my safe deposit box) it would have the original permit in it and I would make another copy, have it laminated, and be on my way.

Buckaroo

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Got mine today and spent quite a bit of time on it, and my wife can still spot issues with it. it's a smidge smaller (like less than 1/16" and I didn't even adjust it) and it still sticks out to me. The ink seems a little darker too.

I will admit though, I used to work in a printing press room during college doing line-ups with a ruler that measured down to a 1/64", so I may not be the average pair of eyes :).

I even scanned it at 1200 DPI, adjusted for sharpness, scale of black tone, etc. I do IT work for a living, and I troubleshoot printers of all kinds regularly. This thing was definitely done on a laser printer of some kind. Gonna print mine on a laser tomorrow to see if I can tell a difference. Definitely stay away from inkjet printers. Mine is photo quality, but the ink never lies :).

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Today I saw a friend copy his LTCH onto his computer, run a piece of photo paper through one time each for the front and back in a just pink, then print out four copies of the LTCH on that sheet, signed them, and "laminated" them with packaging tape.

I did the tape thing. Back in college, no money and didn't want to wait. It has held up perfectly for about 3 years or so now. I'll be renewing to my lifetime shortly.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    OK, I'm done now.

I can no longer tell a difference. Got four good copies made on a laser.

Honestly, if you're really wanting to make it look good, I'd suggest not resizing them. A critical LEO likely looks at permits much more often than the average citizen, and size does make a distinct difference in the lettering, just because the font is so small and narrow that when it is reduced, it gets crammed together and makes the print appear darker.

Mine easily fits in a credit card slot (but I'll be carrying behind my DL, just since I'll never care about seeing it and don't want to drop it).

Again, if using a computer, scan at 1200DPI, adjust scanner to black and white only, tell it to scan the black "lighter" than normal (mine was about 30%), and then have it sharpen about 75%. Of course it will vary by scanner, but a decent All-in-one will get the job done.

Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    I took mine to a locally owned print/packing shop and ran off 4 copies and laminated the original. I also scanned it and have it on a memory stick. I didn't reduce the size and the color matches so I'm good to go.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Well Kinko's said they couldnt copy it on the salmon colored paper b/c it was an office document. I asked if their policy had changed, they said no. The manager also said that it had to say "COPY" across it, but i guess the guy forgot to do that. So i got one white copy and laminated before i turned around and saw the salmon colored paper. Well, i went home made my copies and will go back tomrw to get them laminated.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Staples in Clarksville, IN scanned my original, made 6 copies, I signed each copy in blue ink, they laminated the cards, so I have my original in the safe, a card in my car, my wifes car, my truck, my gun bag, my wallet, one spare put with the original. This for $1.74

INGunGuy

Top Bottom