• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trik396

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Made 4 copies at work on color printer and laminated them, cut them out, etc. They look almost exactly like original but slightly lighter color pink. I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference because I think the pink would tend to fade as time went by... Plus I made four other copies and keep them in my files at home. Two laminates are in my wallet, one in my truck and one in my car. Really, isn't it the permit number that is all that is needed? Lawfully, if you know your number and give it to the LEO, they should be able to run it and see if you are legit, same as a drivers license.

I think I am covered.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I am firmly against this Idea! :noway:
    It is not a vehicle so it should not be on my Drivers License.
    +1

When you talk to people in states like Virginia where cops may "run" you to see if you are permit holder during a traffic stop, and then they get all nervous etc if you are (younger cops) you would agree it is not a great idea.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    +1

When you talk to people in states like Virginia where cops may "run" you to see if you are permit holder during a traffic stop, and then they get all nervous etc if you are (younger cops) you would agree it is not a great idea.

Most counties can do this anyways. Personally, since I am in the "always tell the cop" camp, I wouldnt mind. However, I understand the reasoning behind not telling, and we cant have it both ways, so I would rather we respect those that want to keep it a secret. Also, any sort of indication on the DL could reveal itself to those that dont need to know, DMV employees, and an actual designation on the DL would allow anyone that needed to see ID to know you have a carry license. Im sorry, but the clerk at the drug store does not need to know I carry simply because I want to buy some cold medicine.

Stubborn Yankee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Wish I had thought of copying the original before I signed and laminated it. Oh well, I will make copies in case I ever lose the original. Apparently this problem does not come up much if nobody really has a clear answer, or maybe Indiana law enforcement have better things to do than try to detect copies of LTCH!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    It seems as if copy store policies are all over the map when it comes to handgun licenses.

Interesting............
    You're right there. Last year when I got my Lifetime, I went to a UPS store-the older guy at the counter got all "Perry Mason" on me, to tell me it was not legal to copy a government form. His co-worker told me on the way out that Fed-X would do it.
    I went to Fed-X/Kinkos--they had the exact same shade pink paper, made six copies, laminated two, all for under $4.00. So for me-Fed-X came through..

warmachine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Personally I think they should make it like an ID or a driver's license. And as for the argument that it shouldnt be on your license because of who would see it and know that you are carrying is a little weak considering endorsements are on the back of your license and people who check your license barely look at the information theyre supposed to be looking for. I didnt make a copy of mine but didnt rule out the idea of doing so. I figure if its in my wallet it cant possibly get lost. I take my wallet everywhere I go and Im always tapping my pockets for my wallet, knife, and business end of my XD.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Personally I think they should make it like an ID or a driver's license. And as for the argument that it shouldnt be on your license because of who would see it and know that you are carrying is a little weak considering endorsements are on the back of your license and people who check your license barely look at the information theyre supposed to be looking for.
    Wallets do get lost/stolen/forgotten at times. I personally keep a LTCH in my wallet, car, range bag..... I figure rather safe than sorry.

Not sure about your license, but mine has endorsements listed on the front and back. Front will just be the letter for the endorsement, back will list what the letter means. I have no problem if they would decide to make them a little more sturdy though, if it didn't increase the cost. If they charge $20 to just print out a piece of paper, imagine what they would charge if it was something like our drivers licenses.

And what about LEO? They look at the driver licenses pretty close usually. And since IN isn't a must inform state it is up to me if I want to inform. There have been reports on this site of people getting pulled over who weren't carrying and the officer saw their pink card and didn't believe them when they told them they weren't carrying. I think at least one of them was pulled out of the car, handcuffed and the officer searched their car looking for it because he "knew there was a gun in there".

warmachine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Timjoebillybob I have the "new" style license and I dont have any endorsements but it says endorsements on the back so if theyre on the front you got me there. And like you said wallets do get stolen, forgotten or lost I just do my best not to forget or lose it. Now stolen on the other hand is pretty hard considering it is always on my person and if youre that close to me I will know. It is outrageous to charge $20 to replace a pink piece of paper but I would imagine that it would be worth the cost or help justify the $20 price tag if they were on something a little more substantial considering they are for no less than 4 years. IMO it should be like any other license or ID from the state, it should cost like $10 to replace and it shouldnt take but like 10 mins. If/when I get pulled over carrying or other wise Im going to be that guy that discloses instead of being the guy who doesnt mention it and gets the police all hopped up on power and nervous energy because they just found out the guy he pulled over is possibly armed. To each his own. IMO most of the cops around here are di*ks so its better to just put it out there and let them know

1donos

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I made a pdf copy of mine and save it on computer and back up disk. If I ever loose it could reprint on pink paper and laminate until the replacement arrives from the state.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I made a pdf copy of mine and save it on computer and back up disk. If I ever loose it could reprint on pink paper and laminate until the replacement arrives from the state.

I did this too, but why would you need a replacement if you can make one yourself? Along with my digital copy, I have a dozen of them already copied and laminated stored in the safe. Just make sure you scan and/or copy it before you sign it so you can put an original signature on each one before you laminate it.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    The office max said they would not copy mine, but then proceeded to show me where the 10 cent pink paper was and how to work the copy machine.

I went to the FedEx Office store (formerly FedEx Kinkos)...

The guy behind the counter saw my pink paper and gave me instructions for lamination before I even got all of the way through the doors.

Since I wanted a copy, I had to ask for pink paper... then they told me they couldn't copy "that" for me, but could show me how to use the copier.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    The thing I find so strange is the trouble that people seem to have in getting the LTCH copied. As I have stated in this and other threads, I had no problems at the Clarksville Staples...

P.S. Oh and I invite anyone to try and figure out which one is the copy, and which one is the original... WONT HAPPEN BIOTCHES!!!

LOL

INGunGuy

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I was denied at the UPS store on 10th and Shadeland Ave, and the Office Depot on East Washington. I bought pink paper. I'll do it myself at work.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Those who have made copies... the copies come out just a shade darker right... because the copy machine picks up on the color of the original pink...

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Those who have made copies... the copies come out just a shade darker right... because the copy machine picks up on the color of the original pink...

Not if you do it on a black and white copier. When I did mine it looks just like the original.

Now if you tried it on a color copier it might change the shade of the pink background.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    One suggestion -- don't use an inkjet. If you have to use a printer, use a laser. Inkjets (and I've got and tried several) do not stand up to minimal scrutiny. Probably just because they used a laser printer to print it out to begin with.

rippenhouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Interestingly enough, I just ran into this same issue. I'm not sure as to the legality of copying your permit yourself, but after much searching and calling around, I found a 100% legal way to obtain a duplicate of your license. Got to ISP: Firearms Forms and there you will find a few links. Click on Duplicate Handgun License Request and a form will pop up. Fill it out, send it in to the address listed on the top, along with a $20 money order, and within a few weeks to a month, your duplicate license will be sent to you in the mail. I called my local FWPD, who told me to call the ISP, who told me to get online and go through the process listed above. Hope this helps!

Top Bottom