• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BearFodder

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Indiana
    Based on my previous readings of the interwebs, Office Safety seems to be a trump card. When this card is played the 2 c's come into play.
    a. Comply now
    b. Complain later

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Random? For some reason, I think for these FHP Troopers, this is standard practice.

Standard practice makes it ok? Do you run serial numbers as standard practice, or do you just support the unconstitutional acts of other officers on the internet?

Seriously, you should check the gallon of milk I have in the back of my car to make sure it isn't stolen as well. After all, you don't really know that I didn't steal it....

Kutnupe14 said:
    Do cell phones have a body count attached to their intended use?

What objects don't have body counts attached to them? Like I said, you better check that gallon of milk I have...

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    And we should check out your Mama for VD because she might be a hooker spreading AIDS all over the neighborhood. Just can't take any chances, right? It's a public health issue, right? "Officer safety" is a farce. Having other people handle your gun who may not have the slightest idea how it works is not SAFE. It's about submission - not safety.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    There is no reason for an officer in my opinion to take away someone's gun for a simple traffic stop, especially if the officer only knows about the gun because the person told them.

Side note: never tell an officer you have a gun unless legally required to or they are about to discover it.

Frankly, if someone is going to use a gun against an officer the officer is not going to find out about the gun until a split second before the first bullet is fired at them. A gun they know about because someone told them they have it is not even a slightest threat to them.

Pretty sure florida is not a must inform state so the biggest mistake here was answering he does have a gun. The correct answer should have been "nothing illegal" or "no comment".

As for the officers in this video: My opinion is if they were truly scared they should have just had one officer watch him while they other did the ticket.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    "They" would be the officers who insist on disarming you "for their safety". Some will. Some won't. If "they" do not feel safe - I don't really care. That would be a personal problem "they" have and not a reason for me to surrender my Fourth Amendment rights. I don't feel safe around certain people. I don't demand that they be searched and disarmed because of it. "They" can either show respect for the Constitution - or not. "They" swore an oath to uphold it - so did I.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    "They" would be the officers who insist on disarming you "for their safety". Some will. Some won't. If "they" do not feel safe - I don't really care. That would be a personal problem "they" have and not a reason for me to surrender my Fourth Amendment rights. I don't feel safe around certain people. I don't demand that they be searched and disarmed because of it. "They" can either show respect for the Constitution - or not. "They" swore an oath to uphold it - so did I.

I'm not so sure that temporarily taking a firearm during a traffic stop is disrespecting/violating the Constitution. I think, concerning Indiana, it's simply bad practice.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I'm not so sure that temporarily taking a firearm during a traffic stop is disrespecting/violating the Constitution. I think, concerning Indiana, it's simply bad practice.

If the officer truly fears for his safety and there is evidence to support that feeling, then I would agree. Otherwise, I would not agree that temporary seizure of property with no RAS isn't unconstitutional.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    If the officer truly fears for his safety and there is evidence to support that feeling, then I would agree. Otherwise, I would not agree that temporary seizure of property with no RAS isn't unconstitutional.

If you really want to drive a point into an officer that takes your gun.... after he tells you good day or whatever when you are free to go just say "thanks, you too. By the way I had another gun on me the whole time and then instantly drive away."

Maybe then the officer will learn it is what he doesn't know about that might hurt him. Not what he does know about.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If you really want to drive a point into an officer that takes your gun.... after he tells you good day or whatever when you are free to go just say "thanks, you too. By the way I had another gun on me the whole time and then instantly drive away."

Maybe then the officer will learn it is what he doesn't know about that might hurt him. Not what he does know about.

How about after the stop is over, you engage the officer in a polite conversation? Obviously you can't do that with all officers (some being jbt), but I bet many would engage.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    How about after the stop is over, you engage the officer in a polite conversation? Obviously you can't do that with all officers (some being jbt), but I bet many would engage.

I don't think any officer who takes your gun during a simple traffic stop cares about a polite conversation about citizens carrying and your rights around such.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't think any officer who takes your gun during a simple traffic stop cares about a polite conversation about citizens carrying and your rights around such.

You'd be wrong. Coming out of the academy, every person I encountered who was armed during a traffic stop, I disarmed. It was simply blind adherence to training. And then I disarmed a guy one guy who got really upset, and being the talker I am, I honestly wanted to know why he was so pissed off. So we had a good talk, and he brought up points that resonated. I don't know if I immediately stopped disarming people after that (probably didn't), but eventually it no longer made sense to disarm every single person I met. Sure it may not work for old grizzly officers, but guys just coming into the field? You never know.

Top Bottom