• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    So we have a bear. Is it a wild bear or an escapee?

So many folks having illegal animals.

Badger.............69 and Coldwater, many moons ago by the Fort. Just west of the now Verizon building (used to be weed fields- great rabbit hunting).

I have yet to see:

Otter
    Bobcat
    Rattler, Copperhead or Moccasin.

Hunting buddy a yr ago had a Copperhead pop out next to his turkey set up. Pretty cool.

Have not seen invasive/non native of bear, pig or mountain lion.

The latter supposedly on trail cam, next farm over from where we hunted. My landowner and his boy were a bit spooked. I walked back to my stand, through standing cornfield, in the dark..............with just my bow over my shoulder.

There was a mountain lion on another farm I hunted. Guy working there asked me not to shoot it. It was an escapee from a place not close, but not far either (he saw it that morning). Of course, I never saw it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Our little farm is in Bear Hollow (Holler) in Perry County....There are a couple of caves in the bluffs and it was known for its bear population in the early 19th century......Harrison County is only 30 miles as the crow flies due east from our place...Here is hoping in a couple of years they will be back....

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Our little farm is in Bear Hollow (Holler) in Perry County....There are a couple of caves in the bluffs and it was known for its bear population in the early 19th century......Harrison County is only 30 miles as the crow flies due east from our place...Here is hoping in a couple of years they will be back....

Bear Hollow Mulch? Didn't realize that

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Yep...Right down the road three miles or so....Neat little place...Here is a view of the west side of the hollow across Oil Creek....

It looks like Cade's Cove in the Smokies.....

Always like the photos from down your way Indiucky.

Kind of flat up here in the hinterlands.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

Told The Boss that if the DNR wanted to relocate Mr. Bar I'd volunteer our place. She was not amused.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    The DNR statement said that they believe it is a wild bear that swam across the Ohio River from Hardin County, KY where a very similar looking bear was spotted 2-3 weeks ago. I wish we could get a female bear relocated here as well so they can mate.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Told The Boss that if the DNR wanted to relocate Mr. Bar I'd volunteer our place. She was not amused.

That's funny John.....My Boss said the same thing when I suggested that.....How about between our two places?????? :)

Here is the view out the back padawan...We are at the foot of a holler with a small spring creek...It narrows as you head up it with about 500 foot bluffs.......Southern Indiana really is a beautiful place....The Bear Hollow floor is about 250-300 yards wide at our place....Bluffs straight across from me and a ravine with bluffs leading up behind me...Ice Age glacier melt makes for interesting topography....I find trilobite track fossils in our little spring all of the time...It blows me away to think where we are at was the bottom of a shallow sea around 3.5 billion years ago....I call our little spring the "Artery of Time"...

One day we will live there full time but as of now it's just a get a way place.....I can tell you this...It's getting harder and harder to come back to the city after a couple of days there....

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Just read an article that another bear was spotted earlier this week in Bernhiem Forest near Clermont Ky and one in Hardin Co. KY a couple of weeks ago. It maybe that there is a population trying to get established in the area. I know when I was stationed at Ft. Knox way back in the 1980's there was rumors going around that there were bears there then.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Making its way to you!

On a side note, you got any yotes that need killing up on your farm? :cool:

I just got an acre but the three farms around me have about 2500...I know there are a couple of guys from Ft. Wayne that have a camp about a mile down the road from us that come down three times a year; Deer season, Turkey Season, and they stay a week in the winter and hunt and kill coyotes...Last year between them they got I believe about 30....They have permission to hunt in those three farms I mentioned and I have permission (more like an order) to kill any coyote I see but I have not yet...I may try this winter as the wife wants a coyote rug for the floor....They are more like coywolves down here...Big, brutish things....I saw one last winter running across the field and I ran in to get my Marlin 1894 in .357 but he was gone by the time I got outside....

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Just read an article that another bear was spotted earlier this week in Bernhiem Forest near Clermont Ky and one in Hardin Co. KY a couple of weeks ago. It maybe that there is a population trying to get established in the area. I know when I was stationed at Ft. Knox way back in the 1980's there was rumors going around that there were bears there then.

Kentucky started a bear hunting season for some counties in the southern portion of the state a few years back, apparently the quotas are tight enough that the population is still growing and expanding.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    That's funny John.....My Boss said the same thing when I suggested that.....How about between our two places?????? :)

Here is the view out the back padawan...We are at the foot of a holler with a small spring creek...It narrows as you head up it with about 500 foot bluffs.......Southern Indiana really is a beautiful place....The Bear Hollow floor is about 250-300 yards wide at our place....Bluffs straight across from me and a ravine with bluffs leading up behind me...Ice Age glacier melt makes for interesting topography....I find trilobite track fossils in our little spring all of the time...It blows me away to think where we are at was the bottom of a shallow sea around 3.5 billion years ago....I call our little spring the "Artery of Time"...

One day we will live there full time but as of now it's just a get a way place.....I can tell you this...It's getting harder and harder to come back to the city after a couple of days there....

Reminds me of my great grandmas house, only difference it never saw a coat of paint.

Top Bottom