Do we really need a bigger charging handle on our ARs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Since I have started needing some sort of magnification/scope on my rifles, I have gone to the extended release types handles. Easier to get to for me with the optic in the way. Before that I was fine with the basic, milspec handle. :):

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I went with a bigger BCM, and thought it was great. Really made malfunctions drills easier at classes. However, I then carried it in the woods coyote hunting, and found that the larger latch had enough leverage to snag on clothing and ever so slightly disengage the battery.

So... it's better sometimes? They are so easy to switch out, however, I now just view it like a QD flashlight. If I think I'll need it, I throw it on.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If it does get caught and you think you might have come out of battery, just pop the forward assist and you're back in business.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Ambi extended CHs also assist lefties, as the forward assist can get in the way.

As far as the non-ambi ones like the BCM, I think the medium latch is all that's needed. Still gives ample room to charge the weapon by palming or running with a finger but not so large that it gets caught on everything. Really helps get around optics, as has been mentioned. IMO, an Ambi charging handle is the way to go.

st8kfinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2016
    north east
    Sounds like your friend in the military has never used a bcm charge handle. I replaced a colt charge handle I bent with a medium latch bcm and it is still straight and I'm a lot harder on the bcm than I was with the factory colt. Under stress or with heavy gloves on the extended latch works great for me.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Ambi bcm here. The latches are a tad larger than I'd like, but I have more room for error with an ambi. Especially with gloves on. Something that the M4 charging handle wasn't designed for.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I run extended but I'm a lefty. I reach with my right hand to charge and I have soft stroked it a few times with a regular GI charge. SOFT STROKED!!

Last edited:

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    You know, Excalibur, you keep tossing your "friend" under the bus here. Maybe you're not the friend he needs after all. Why would you turn your back on a guy that would stand by you just to ask a dozen or more faceless folk on a forum to help you pick apart your "friends"preferences for shooting things? It matters not what else you may possess if you lack character. I could teach you a bit on the topic. We'd start off with merely 3 words: honor, courage and commitment

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I run BCMGunfighter Mod 4's (medium.) Took in a gun on a trade that had another brand CH comparable to the Mod 3 (large.) It was definitely too long, poking anything and everything the gun got up against, especially me.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Switched my rifles over to BCM Mod 4's and never looked back, hate to swap out quality Colt parts but this is one mod I am glad I switched to.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I run the stock ones. Use scopes and side swipe with my pointer finger.

They work just fine. No need to spend a bunch of money on cool guy parts.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I just put the extended latches on my existing one's Makes it a lot easier to get around the scope. Plus my tired old hands don't have the dexterity they used to!
    Dan

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    [h=2]Do we really need a bigger charging handle on our ARs?[/h]

Need is subjective.

Here is your test for putting crap on the gun: "Does this widget solve a problem for me?"

If yes, put the silly widget on the gun.

If no, leave it in the Brownell's catalogue.

If you do not know, don't buy it.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Need is subjective.

Here is your test for putting crap on the gun: "Does this widget solve a problem for me?"

If yes, put the silly widget on the gun.

If no, leave it in the Brownell's catalogue.

If you do not know, don't buy it.

It does. It helps me grab onto it when I address malfunctions or just to charge the rifle. My friend, the stick up his ass, tells me the stock stuff is better because the rifle was designed with those in mind...which I told him for a completely different manual of arms that's changed. He doesn't want change. He prefers as close to what he used in the corps as possible save for a few extra things he hypocritically decided on and wants to push me to be like him.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Anything other than the GI charging handle screws me up when I do my 15 count manual of arms, followed by inspection arms before bed every night.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    And the BCM handles weren't designed with the rifle in mind??? Um, no. Specious argument. :dunno:

I know. His argument is that you work with what is stock on the rifle, especially if it was used by the military and keep it stock because "said so"...I think he's been in the corps for too long and unlike the guys I've seen that is out, he hasn't been willing to change.

Top Bottom