Do we really need a bigger charging handle on our ARs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Do you actually need it.... no you don't, but it sure makes it easier to use. With that said while doing Run-N-Gun and other carbine courses I do notice it getting caught on my chest rig. Nothing that would make me warrant taking it off, but you notice its there.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Started using the plain Jane charging handle in the army, seen them twist and break. Then we started using I think it was the gas buster brand charging handles. They were very nice!
    I really wasn't a gun guy in the army so I didn't pay as much attention to who stuff was made by like I do now. I just knew our weapons/tools front to back and side to side and how to use them. If anything needed replaced or new on one the armorers usualy did it. We weren't allowed to do major changes or repairs unless it was an emergency.
    When we used suppressed guns they had changed some things on the guns like the gas busters.
    As a contractor I used a enlarged latch and I think a gas buster. They were my own purchased by me.
    as a civilian I use the BCM charging handles. They arent for cool looks they are actualy designed to be more durable and if your is getting caught on your gear even as a professional then you have too much **** in the way

Last edited:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Do we need a muzzle brake instead of the "stock" bird cage flash hider? If'n it's good 'nuff for the gub'ment it's good 'nuff for me!
    I started reading through the thread more but just couldn't. Too much BS for even this country boy.
    If you don't like something don't use it. Even the BAD lever. Or anything else for that matter. Sometimes I think threads like these are just troll threads and should be closed and forgotten.
    Dan

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Some people put ketchup on eggs.

For gosh sakes, this is a GUN forum. People talk about guns and options. They aren't trolls. If you don't care for a thread, please don't bother reading it.

ps. I've got the medium size CH on one AR with a scope. It's great and I find it useful.

pps. I've never liked the BAD lever....mostly from the standpoint that form ought to follow function...and slapping the release is ingrained.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Do we need a muzzle brake instead of the "stock" bird cage flash hider? If'n it's good 'nuff for the gub'ment it's good 'nuff for me!
    I started reading through the thread more but just couldn't. Too much BS for even this country boy.
    If you don't like something don't use it. Even the BAD lever. Or anything else for that matter. Sometimes I think threads like these are just troll threads and should be closed and forgotten.
    Dan

Just become an AK man.

I just read this thread and smile. :popcorn:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Speaking of gas busters... I have 3 or 4 of the Vltor/BCM CH but didn't get them all at the same time. A couple have a raised area that snuggles up behind the upper. Maybe that raised section helps direct away gas better when shooting suppressed. One doesn't have that raised part. It's flat. Did I get a bad one?

Top Bottom