Do we really need a bigger charging handle on our ARs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It does. It helps me grab onto it when I address malfunctions or just to charge the rifle. My friend, the stick up his ass, tells me the stock stuff is better because the rifle was designed with those in mind...which I told him for a completely different manual of arms that's changed. He doesn't want change. He prefers as close to what he used in the corps as possible save for a few extra things he hypocritically decided on and wants to push me to be like him.

Dude, if it works for your buddy, then let him do his thing, you do yours.

Dr. Yang told us, "plow YOUR field."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know. His argument is that you work with what is stock on the rifle, especially if it was used by the military and keep it stock because "said so"...I think he's been in the corps for too long and unlike the guys I've seen that is out, he hasn't been willing to change.

The rifle was originally designed with an entirely different charging handle.

armalite2.jpg

If Eugene Stoner can change it, so can you.:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Oh, sure, you're all cool in your MARPAT and stuff, looking mighty tactical, but are you cool enough to design a rifle from a blank sheet of paper and then change that design multiple times . . . all while wearing a bow tie?

I think not!

tumblr_nhoqdrHlUE1s57vgxo1_500.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The military uses what they get issued or allowed to use. There's not a whole lot of choice involved or at least there wasn't any choice for me back in the day. I was in back in the days before everyone had a red dot, and never had an issue doing the bunny ears on a charging handle. Mil-spec charging handles work, period.

With that in mind, I really like the BCM mod 4. The mod 3 isn't big enough in my opinion to do any good. The mod 5 is huge and pokes into you or gets hung up on gear. The cheapo types where you knock the pin out and slide in the new "tactical" latch are pretty much all crap in my opinion.

Back when I really got into the reloads using the charging handle I appreciated the BCM mod 4. Now that I'm reverting back to just hitting the release I don't really care.

This is boils down to a preference thing. If you are target shooting at a range, or shooting pumpkins on a farm then you're probably not going to see any benefit of an extended charging handle. If you're running during drills with a suppressor and an optic, then yeah you'd probably really like having that extended charging handle.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I really like the BCM Mod 3 (aka large). In fact I like it so much I installed it on all my ARs. I like the fact that I can operate the CH with my palm or just a couple of fingers to grab the large latch and pull it back. Helps when shooting with gloves as well. I have nothing against the regular one but I have been accustom to the BCM so it feels more natural to have it on my ARs

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    If changing or customizing a part increases the usability of the firearm, I say yes. If the owner wants one because it adds some aesthetic value, then I say yes again. We spend a lot of time pondering what is useful or not useful for other gun owners.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The military uses what they get issued or allowed to use. There's not a whole lot of choice involved or at least there wasn't any choice for me back in the day. I was in back in the days before everyone had a red dot, and never had an issue doing the bunny ears on a charging handle. Mil-spec charging handles work, period.

I've pointed that out that the Marines now solely uses ACOGs for marksmanship quals and he scolds every time I mention that. It's like you said. In the military, you work with what you got and learn to love it. When you aren't apart of that military, you can do whatever you see fit. He'll either come around or not to that idea. Like I said, he's kinda hypocritical with his talks. He wants to get a rifle that has the M4 LE 6 position stock and A2 grip (for now) but is ok with the idea of flip up sights even though BUISs weren't on rifles when he served. It was carrying handle and front sight posts, so sometimes he confuses me. I'll get what I want and train with it to see if it works. On my first AR, I've changed the handguard, stock and pistol grip several times already.

He doesn't find a purpose for the BAD lever. I do.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

The bad lever a whole other can of worms to open. So much of this is just personal preference and ultimately if guys went outdoors and shot instead of getting on the internet they'd feel a lot more confident in their choices and feel a lot less like they need the internets approval. We live and learn that's more than one way to do anything.

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    most of the stuff being strapped on ARs today has very little practical purpose but man does it look cool when your standing at the range lol. I mean really we have found how many wars with the standard mil-spec handle. No reason to reinvent the damn wheel.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

I have to agree with him on this point. While it does allow you do release the bolt with your trigger finger, there is a safety aspect that caused me to eventually take off the two bad levers that I had.... You are placing your finger inside the trigger guard before you are ready to fire. I understand its not the trigger but still a safety thing that caused me to remove it.

on that note If anyone wants to buy one of the two Phase 5 // Extended Bolt Release v2 (EBRV2), let me know

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Horses for courses. Tailor the rifle as you see fit. If you do mostly range work in cold weather with an optic, you will certainly want a larger handle.

GI usage? GI handle.

At some point, the logic breaks down. A nub the size of a BB would be hardly snag-prone at all. But charging might be problematic. Life's tradeoffs-- make yours and move on.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I bought a slew of the vltor/bcm mod 4 and am now thinking about selling them. I like them but like the Axis/Noveske better.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I have to agree with him on this point. While it does allow you do release the bolt with your trigger finger, there is a safety aspect that caused me to eventually take off the two bad levers that I had.... You are placing your finger inside the trigger guard before you are ready to fire. I understand its not the trigger but still a safety thing that caused me to remove it.

on that note If anyone wants to buy one of the two Phase 5 // Extended Bolt Release v2 (EBRV2), let me know

It's not for releasing the bolt. I use the paddle for that during reload drills unless it's one handed reloads. It's meant for malfunction drills. This goes very well with the larger charging handle and I find it works really well together. Instead of moving the rifle around to lock bolt back traditionally in your manual of arms, as in take your hand off the pistol grip and hold the rifle. I know how to do it but I always wonder if there's a more efficient way.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    It's not for releasing the bolt. I use the paddle for that during reload drills unless it's one handed reloads. It's meant for malfunction drills. This goes very well with the larger charging handle and I find it works really well together. Instead of moving the rifle around to lock bolt back traditionally in your manual of arms, as in take your hand off the pistol grip and hold the rifle. I know how to do it but I always wonder if there's a more efficient way.

:n00b: Are you saying that people are not using an extended bolt release to.... release the bolt.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    :n00b: Are you saying that people are not using an extended bolt release to.... release the bolt.

An extended bolt release as in a bigger button or you mean the BAD lever = Battery Assist Device which is meant not just for releasing the bolt

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    It's not for releasing the bolt......

.... BAD lever = Battery Assist Device which is meant not just for releasing the bolt

So you admit the bad lever is also used for releasing the bolt. Glad we cleared that up.

Yes, it can be used for malfunctions and locking the bolt back. However, i have seen people slam a mag in during and hit the "B.A.D" lever at the same time and cause the bolt to release before the mag is fully seated. I have seen people cause the bolt to lock to the rear when gripping from the magwell or shooting in awkward positions. I have seen people shooting with gloves get all caught up in it because it takes up room in the trigger guard.... so yes, I think the "BAD" lever causes more problems then it solves in malfunction clearing. If your weapon is malfunctioning that often that you need to lock the bolt to the rear and need the BAD lever to help, might need to fix your weapon...

Last edited:

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    It doesn't malfunctions, but if it does, I like how the BAD lever works in clearing it. I could just get an ambi lower from LWRC that mirrors the paddle on the other side.

bradbler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Freetown
    personally when somebody says " its good enough for the military" Its silly. the government buys a good option for the money. theres no frills

Top Bottom