Do you carry a full magazine + one in the chamber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you top off a magazine after putting a round into the chamber?

• Total voters

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Originally Posted by Skywired
    I top off my Kel-Tec .380, but I rarely top off my Walther PPQ. :dunno:

Why would you top off one but not the other?

Well, because the Kel-Tec mag only holds 6 or so rounds....and the Walther mag holds like 15 or so rounds. I reckon I'm just plenty comfortable with whatever that Walther mag is holding, without trying to ram another round down it's throat. :):

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    I carry both revolver and semiauto depending on the mood but primarily Semi.

A loaded weapon will always have a foot up over an unloaded one

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why in the world would you load the chamber by racking the slide on a full mag? If you were carrying in Condition 3, I can understand that, but for Condition 1 or 2? Just take a full mag plus one round, manually slide that one round into the chamber, drop the slide, insert the full mag. No reason to take the scenic route to full mag +1.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Why in the world would you load the chamber by racking the slide on a full mag? If you were carrying in Condition 3, I can understand that, but for Condition 1 or 2? Just take a full mag plus one round, manually slide that one round into the chamber, drop the slide, insert the full mag. No reason to take the scenic route to full mag +1.

Because the way you described damages extractors.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Thanks for participating, but sometimes reading the thread helps.... :n00b:

ar1973

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Story ,IN
    I agree I very rarely load a mag to full copacity any ways. if I have to shoot a perp 15 time I better go back to the range or buy a baseball bat, that would probably do the job faster. but you know every one thinks more is better Ill take 1 good shot over 15 bad ones any day plus allot less ?s to answer .

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...but you know every one thinks more is better Ill take 1 good shot over 15 bad ones any day plus allot less ?s to answer .

Of course more is better. Does anybody think less ammo is better?

If you only need 1 good shot to stop the threat(s) and you're able to make that shot, under what circumstance would one ever regret having more available that they didn't need?

:dunno:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I agree I very rarely load a mag to full copacity any ways. if I have to shoot a perp 15 time I better go back to the range or buy a baseball bat, that would probably do the job faster. but you know every one thinks more is better Ill take 1 good shot over 15 bad ones any day plus allot less ?s to answer .

So, what happens when you're faced with 4 muggers and they're moving?

behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    I Carry 10+1 in my bursa because that is what I practice at the range with and I know that my round count will be accurate. you all do count rounds don't you? but I guess I am in the minority.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I Carry 10+1 in my bursa because that is what I practice at the range with and I know that my round count will be accurate. you all do count rounds don't you? but I guess I am in the minority.

If I only practiced for shooting at targets on a range, I suppose I might count them.

Since my focus won't be on trying to count shots during an actual defensive engagement, I don't pay much attention.

Top Bottom