• What do you think?

• Total voters

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Well, if the world ends tomorrow, I'll already be in hell. I'm scheduled to work tomorrow evening, in a gas station and I'll be surrounded by crackheads, idiots and people wanting to buy lottery tickets. If it's zombies, I'll welcome them before I have to suggestive sell them a soda to go with their brains.

Just don't tell them the 5 Hour Energy shots are 2/$6. Nobody likes an overcaffinated zombie.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    The Human Race has deep within it's genetic code a curse to destroy itself. Some people are just impatient and religion has nothing to do with it. It does make for a good platform for those that want to speed things up, however.

Beautiful planet, ugly people. I will miss it....the planet that is, unless I have to come back in another life to fight the good fight.

I will be too old or dead when it comes around again in this one.

Now stick that in your pipe and smoke it. :whip:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The world cannot end this weekend...Oprah is scheduled to have her last show NEXT week. Oprah wouldn't allow the appocolypse to upstage her.

^Priceless!:):ingo:

Harold Camping has run a shortwave radio based ministry called Family Radio out of Okeechobee Florida for many years. He is an almost omnipresent voice on the SW bands and IIRC predicted the end date 15 or 20 years ago. I do remember he wrote a book then.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    OK, so here's an idea for later today; Mow half the lawn. In the middle of a row stop the mower. Then throw some clothes and shoes (in mid step) behind the mower. Then sit inside and take pictures of people as they walk past the house.

Pick added:

Last edited:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    what was the business that Jesus said about "you can not know the day nor the hour," and how does it relate to these guys' interpretation of the bible? Cuz I'd say its laid out pretty clearly that we can't know, whereas these guys are twisting and stretching random verses out of context to try and figure that out.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I Love these "Rapture" nut jobs. there is no such thing as the rapture. It was made up in the 1800s when some dude misinterpreted scripture - read the following for the true interpretation that is agreed upon by most reputable protestant, catholic and orthodox scholars

For years I have been teaching that there is no theological basis for the concept of “The Rapture”: the event whereby God breaks into our world and takes to himself all who are good and righteous, while leaving the unrighteous and unholy behind. This has never been a christian notion. But a review of our Gospel today would seem to indicate that I, as well as the Church, must be wrong! For, in the Gospel today, we hear Jesus say: “Two men will be out in the field; one will be taken, and one will be left. 
Two women will be grinding at the mill; 
one will be taken, and one will be left. 
Therefore, stay awake!
 For you do not know on which day your Lord will come.”

One would very much be inclined to believe in the concept of the Rapture when listening to the words of Jesus. But, if we put the pieces back together, we get a better idea of what Jesus was teaching. From the beginning of today’s Gospel: “Jesus said to his disciples: 
“As it was in the days of Noah, 
so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.
 In those days before the flood, 
they were eating and drinking, 
marrying and giving in marriage,
 up to the day that Noah entered the ark.
 They did not know until the flood came and carried them all away.”

That certainly puts new light on the situation. The theology of the Rapture has it completely backward!
    In today’s Gospel, according to Jesus, people will be carousing and negligent -as they were in the time of Noah- and, as happened during the flood, the good will be Left Behind (as in the Ark), but the unrighteous will be whisked away… as in the flood! “Two men will be out in the field; one will be taken, and one will be left. 
Two women will be grinding at the mill; 
one will be taken, and one will be left.” In other words, the one who is righteous and good will remain unmolested, but woe to the one who is taken!

But what about all the apocalyptic, ‘dooms day’, and frightening warnings given by Christ? Do we not have enough to worry about, why all the tumult?

When we read these apocalyptic or eschatological or “end times” warnings by Jesus, we often forget a very important statement that Jesus made earlier in the Gospel. Actually in the paragraph which precedes today’s Gospel reading, Jesus tells his listeners: “Amen, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place.” We must resist the temptation to interpret these warnings as ‘given first to us for our future’ if we want a proper interpretation. Rather, we must read them as the first century Christians read the text. For, indeed, there were some within the hearing of Jesus who did not pass away until “all these things took place.”

Before the coming of Jesus Christ, it was the Temple in Jerusalem which was the epicenter of religious worship.
    The Temple guaranteed the presence of God in the midst of his people. We cannot stress the importance of the Temple in Jerusalem enough at the time of Christ. If the Temple was present, so God was present. That is why the destruction of the Temple really was the “End Times.” It was THE END OF THE OLD COVENANT ERA AND THE DAWN OF THE MESSIANIC ERA that is the focus of Jesus’ message.

The Temple in Jerusalem was completely and utterly destroyed by the Romans in the year 70 A.D. In the teaching of Jesus Christ, this was the great symbol of the end of the Old Covenant law and the beginning of the New Covenant of LIFE and GRACE. The destruction was a terrifying and somber event in the annals of history.
    Josephus, a Jewish historian, records the destruction as retribution – God’s wrath on a wicked people. He records that the Romans destroyed the Temple on the very anniversary of the destruction of Solomon’s Temple, the first Temple, by the Babylonians in the 5th century B.C.. In his history, we read many remarkable and fascinating events surrounding the destruction.

In his writings, he re-tells the frightening story: “…at that feast which the Jews call Pentecost, as the priests were going by night into the inner court of the temple, as was their custom, to perform their sacred ministrations, they said that, in the first place, they felt a quaking, and heard a great noise, and after that they heard a sound as of a powerful explosion, saying, ‘Let us leave this place.’"

Following this incident, the destruction was horrifying. Fire, death, starvation… the siege of Jerusalem was so bad, that a woman (on the verge of death from starvation) was said to have eaten the corpse of her own child.
    Then Josephus records, “On the tenth of August, the same day on which Nebuchadnezzar destroyed the Temple built by Solomon, the cry was heard that the Temple was on fire. The Jews, … cried with grief and rage …And now the Romans were not disposed to display any mercy, night alone putting an end to the carnage. During the whole of this siege of Jerusalem, 1,100,000 were slain, and the prisoners numbered 97,000.”

Here is the remarkable historical note and the miracle: Not one Christian perished in the siege and destruction of Jerusalem… seeing the signs of which Jesus had warned them [like the one in today’s Gospel], the Christians left the City of Jerusalem almost four years earlier and migrated to the City of Pella. That is why even we, centuries later, ought very well to heed the words of Jesus: “
Therefore, stay awake!
 For you do not know on which day your Lord will come.”

For, we too, await Christ’s second coming. May he find each of us vigilant and awake!

I think if we want to prepare for the second coming we could take advice from the letter below St Francis wrote to St Clare
    My Dear Sister Clare,

You know that in my heart Christmas, the feast of love, is my favorite feast the one I wish would never end. It is the time when the poor should be treated royally, and the animals are not only welcome but necessary to our worship.

But, dear sister Clare, do not let yourself, or any one of us, get caught up in the busy‑ness. That is “false preparation” for the great Christmas feast. God would have us prepare quietly, in our hearts and in our living. We must pray and wait for the birth of Christ, but be prepared for it at every moment.

Look at the faces of the lonely and be befriend them. See Jesus in the hungry and feed them. Put seed on the roads for the birds. And stop to thank God for the beauty of the moon on a cold dark night.

This is how to prepare for Christmas.

Your Little Brother,

Francis

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    what was the business that Jesus said about "you can not know the day nor the hour," and how does it relate to these guys' interpretation of the bible? Cuz I'd say its laid out pretty clearly that we can't know, whereas these guys are twisting and stretching random verses out of context to try and figure that out.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that pick and chose which parts of the Bible they want to believe in, and pick which verses they want to consider as absolute truths, and others that they will dismiss or not even acknowledge.

Something else to ponder is that many groups believe a literall interpretation of the book of Revelation, which in chapter 76 says that there will be 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel in heaven (note that the astute reader will notice that in the following verses John goes onto say there are additionally countless more from every other tribe and race). Groups such as the Jehovah's Witnesses believe very firmly in that, yet they have more than 2 million total followers and their still recruiting!

I could go on and on, but that will be getting somewhat off topic and probably cross the line as far as religious discussions on this forum.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that pick and chose which parts of the Bible they want to believe in, and pick which verses they want to consider as absolute truths, and others that they will dismiss or not even acknowledge.

Something else to ponder is that many groups believe a literall interpretation of the book of Revelation, which in chapter 76 says that there will be 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel in heaven (note that the astute reader will notice that in the following verses John goes onto say there are additionally countless more from every other tribe and race). Groups such as the Jehovah's Witnesses believe very firmly in that, yet they have more than 2 million total followers and their still recruiting!

I could go on and on, but that will be getting somewhat off topic and probably cross the line as far as religious discussions on this forum.
    That's what I was afraid of when I started this thread. Though I thouroughly enjoy a good talk/debate, I was mostly going for the joke factor. So far everyone has been mature enough haha.:ingo:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I will be doing what I done for Y2K...

Drinking...

By the way I was not happy when I awoke on Jan 1. I had a BAD hangover...

As a technologist who did y2k remediation, the potential was there for some serious issues, had we just sat on our hands. There were numerous human-devised systems upon which "civilized" humanity had become (and still is) dependent. Nothing happened because the threat was widely known far enough in advance to be corrected before y2k came.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    If the World does end on Saturday am I still Required to attend Drill on Sunday?!

It depends on your branch. As Sr. Drill Instructor Hartman said, "G_d was here before the Marine Corps, so you can give your heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Corps."

Not sure about the other 4 branches :):

Last edited:

c3d4b2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Harold Camping has run a shortwave radio based ministry called Family Radio out of Okeechobee Florida for many years. He is an almost omnipresent voice on the SW bands and IIRC predicted the end date 15 or 20 years ago. I do remember he wrote a book then.

I am wondering if the attention this is getting is due to lack of things to report. I read Harold Camping's book from 15+ years ago and he was very upfront saying that there was a very good probability that the prediction was wrong. I haven't seen the new material, however my trust in accurate reporting has waned in the past decade.......

Top Bottom