• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    A friend of mine shot one last year in the river bottoms between Washington and Jackson Counties along the White River. He used a Browning 30/06. I'm going to try and go sometime.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Hello,

From the Indiana hunting guide:

Has anyone seen these? I take it they can be hunted any time. Where did they come from? Are they farm escapees or what?

I've never hog hunted and frankly, I don't see feral hogs as a bad thing.

How would one go about hog hunting? Would a .45acp work, or should I use a rifle or shotgun, if I should be able to even find these critters?

Josh <><

recommended is bow or rifle if yo use shotgun use a slug

http://www.backwateroutlaws.com/hunting-guide-services/wild_boar_hunts/

happy huntin

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    When I was at Ft. Benning, I heard about guys hunting them with large knives. I don't know if this is true, and it sounds a little crazy to me. I have been told that wild boar is delicious though.

I have a cousin in KY who goes with a group of guys and two of them use this "technique". Frickin' lunatics in my book but either it will thin the hog population or other way around so I am ok with it.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    ok this thread intrigued me so I asked my best friends dad who lives in Lawrence county if this was true and he seemed to verify the story of a rich guy from the south bringing hogs to hunt for sport. his brother has a HUGE swatch of land around there and said he would ask him if he has seen any, and he said if he did I could go hunting:rockwoot:

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    ok this thread intrigued me so I asked my best friends dad who lives in Lawrence county if this was true and he seemed to verify the story of a rich guy from the south bringing hogs to hunt for sport. his brother has a HUGE swatch of land around there and said he would ask him if he has seen any, and he said if he did I could go hunting:rockwoot:

You still have that 308?:D Take a back up too.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I am willing to go. I need to check with local CO's ref the Brown County report. I have heard of them being in the Hoosier Nat. Forest for a while, didn't think they had came north of Lawrence County though.

Marlinownersforum has a good link and a lot of info on hog hunting.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Completely legal. I can't begin to describe how fun this was. If anyone is interested in going down there to Tx and hunting with the best guide around, PM me and I'll give you his contact information. He's a wealth of information and has access to 8000 acres of hog-infested land. The hunting is tough right now because of drought, but it will get better! I'm going back in December.

I had talked with a guy in Texas about hunting hogs on the ranch he worked at. From the way he sounds hogs are hated by land owners there and anyone is welcome to hunt them. Nice thing about Texas is that there are no rules or restrictions on firearms.

We need to get a list of land owners who have a hog problem and want them gone. I'd love to hunt them in my own state without driving to texas.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I had talked with a guy in Texas about hunting hogs on the ranch he worked at. From the way he sounds hogs are hated by land owners there and anyone is welcome to hunt them. Nice thing about Texas is that there are no rules or restrictions on firearms.

We need to get a list of land owners who have a hog problem and want them gone. I'd love to hunt them in my own state without driving to texas.

Me too. We'd need a landowner that would let us set up a feeder and camera. We could then see if there really are hogs there and if so, what we are dealing with in terms of size and numbers. I've got the cam and can get a feeder, if someone could hook us up with a landowner in the area.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Me too. We'd need a landowner that would let us set up a feeder and camera. We could then see if there really are hogs there and if so, what we are dealing with in terms of size and numbers. I've got the cam and can get a feeder, if someone could hook us up with a landowner in the area.

I'm working on it:rockwoot:

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    I moved here from south Texas a few years back. Yes it is definitely true that people hunt hogs with dogs and knives in Texas. I have a few videos to prove it if anyone wants to see. It is the most exhilirating, scariest, adrenaline pumping feeling I have ever experienced. I would also be willing to take 1-2 people with me to TX this winter if anyone wants to do it, provided they pay their own way. I will probably go sometime in October or November (it's still 50-80 degress there then) for a hunting trip. Get in touch with me if you might be interested - first come basis. Jason

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Having never hunted hogs, what sort of sign do you look for to confirm they are in the area? I've hunted turkey and deer but not hogs.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    There have been countless sightings of wild hogs around the Rush Creek area in Washington County where I live. I've even been on a "hog walk" or two with a buddy, armed with my Mosin 91/30 and a BIG bowie hunter that I have. We never saw any, but we found several ruts and waller spots. I would love to take one like crazy. You might even call me hog wild.... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

townmarshal

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    indy
    As a kid in the 50's my grandad, in Orange county, used to get one about yearly and barbecue it. I remember it as being a real treat.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    When I was at Ft. Benning, I heard about guys hunting them with large knives. I don't know if this is true, and it sounds a little crazy to me. I have been told that wild boar is delicious though.

Yes, but not 1 on 1. They use dogs to tire the hog out and hold it down, and then they move in from behind and cut the femoral arteries.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I've heard Lawrence County for sure. Rumor has it Southern Brown and Monroe Counties too. Iv'e got friends in Southern Brown but haven't heard them say anything about seeing any.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    Mooresville
    I have heard reports in southern indiana, the wild hogs mostly come from escape farm pigs that breed and live in the wild. They are also migrating more north over the years from just a couple of states away. I hope that we will soon see a nice wild hog haunting time in indiana. There is nothing like a hog haunt or a hog roast

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have heard reports in southern Indiana, the wild hogs mostly come from escape farm pigs that breed and live in the wild. They are also migrating more north over the years from just a couple of states away. I hope that we will soon see a nice wild hog hunting time in Indiana. There is nothing like a hog hunt or a hog roast

Actually that is not correct. Not even a little bit.

Show me a farmer who does not know where every one of his stock is. Especially since the hogs are raised in confinement environments so they can grow quicker, leaner, and more efficiently.

Most of the feral hog problems we have in Indiana are from some idiots who are to lazy to drive their worthless tails to another state to kill pigs. So they trapped pigs and brought them back to this state. So they could introduce a very destructive animal into this states environment.

Top Bottom