• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I have heard reports in southern indiana, the wild hogs mostly come from escape farm pigs that breed and live in the wild. They are also migrating more north over the years from just a couple of states away. I hope that we will soon see a nice wild hog haunting time in indiana. There is nothing like a hog haunt or a hog roast

If we have a wild hog haunt, will they be Zombie hogs? They are scary enough but to have evil zombie hogs haunting us would just be too much. :D

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I have hunted hogs in several states while in the military. They do taste good I have smoked several of them. I am always on the look out for places to hog hunt so hopefully they are in Indiana just gives me more reason to be in the woods hunting.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If you call your a CO he can probably get you directed in the right direction to participate.

From what I understand ALL of the hog hunts here are depredation hunts.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    This is me with my boar. I got him early Sunday morning, with an AR shooting 6.8spc with 85 grain Barnes TSX bullets, and a night-vision scope with an illuminator. The shot was approximately 40 to 50 yards. This calibre and bullet has a devastating effect on hogs. I also had my .223 AR loaded with 55 grain Barnes TSX bullets. I think it would have put the hog down firmly, as well, but not like the 6.8. We'll have to see next time. Anyway, here it is:

Reminder--This is in Texas, not Indiana.

Picture034.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what's the make and model # of your night vision scope? Recently purchased a D-740 myself.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    If you call your a CO he can probably get you directed in the right direction to participate.

From what I understand ALL of the hog hunts here are depredation hunts.

Good luck with having a CO head you in the right direction. This summer I asked one of the guys from down there about that. Did not get a very friendly response, seems there might have been some wannabe hog hunters slinging lead in all directions, trespassing, wounding of animals, that sort of stuff. Seems also it was a couple of guys who brought them in, turned them loose, and now they are tearing up other peoples property. They also got arrested for poaching deer with their night vision scopes while hog hunting. I did receive some unofficial information from the LEO community that they are very slowing moving north and might well be in Morgan County in a few years. What a surprise that will be for all those city slickers who bought a home in the "country" so they could enjoy the great outdoors.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Just out of curiosity, what's the make and model # of your night vision scope? Recently purchased a D-740 myself.

I'm 99% sure that was a D-740. It was dead-on. I'll be picking up a D-740 sometime in the next 6 months or so. Where did you get yours? Did you get a good deal?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Actually that is not correct. Not even a little bit.

Show me a farmer who does not know where every one of his stock is. Especially since the hogs are raised in confinement environments so they can grow quicker, leaner, and more efficiently.

Most of the feral hog problems we have in Indiana are from some idiots who are to lazy to drive their worthless tails to another state to kill pigs. So they trapped pigs and brought them back to this state. So they could introduce a very destructive animal into this states environment.

That is true to a point. I worked on a hog/cattle farm in Lawrence Co until I graduated high school. The females and young were kept in the barns. All of the boars we had stayed outside in fenced areas just like the cattle... and I spent of LOT of my time mending fences they had ran over and chasing them down.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I did receive some unofficial information from the LEO community that they are very slowing moving north and might well be in Morgan County in a few years

Really? Are the hogs across the Ohio River?

Well, once they get to Morgan County (which I believe is the most heavily armed place on Earth) the hogs won't get much further.:n00b:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Night Optics USA D-740-2MS Generation 2+ Mil Spec Advanced Night Vision Rifle Sight

2 grand, and also bought the extra illuminator, was worth the extra money, I think.

Thanks! That looks like a pretty good deal. How far out do you think you could clearly take a shot on a hog with that unit? I just found out that the one I used was a Gen III. It was crystal clear, as I remember it. However, I can't afford that and am not sure it is necessary, anyway, at the range I'm likely to shoot. I figure if I can see well enough to 150 or maybe 200 yards, it is good enough.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Haven't killed anything with the set up yet, but have done a lot of hoping. The darker it is, the better the recognition is. Light pollution from Indy No Where hurts the image when ever I look north, but did watch a coyote walk in and out of a wood line one night and then jump up on a round bale for a nap. No shot taken as it was about 300 yards and a church and houses were in the line of fire. 200 yards is most likely the extent of good shooting possibilities. Would like to have gone out while the bulk of the last snow was on the ground, but the wind and very low temps beckoned me to stay home. Have experienced loss of sight picture from the muzzle flash for a few seconds due to the scope automatically dampening the amount of light coming in, but then the AR I have it mounted on at this time, has a 20 inch barrel on it.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Haven't killed anything with the set up yet, but have done a lot of hoping. The darker it is, the better the recognition is. Light pollution from Indy No Where hurts the image when ever I look north

Yes and no the light pollution is an issue...

However, Make sure there is enough illumination at night. No moon no star nights really suck unless you have an IR illuminater to throw some light down range for you... :D

Top Bottom