• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    For awhile I heard quite a bit about hogs and then nothing. I have heard from various others that hogs 'can't be hunted out'. Sadly I do not think that is true. Look at all the critters that at one time were here in Indiana that have been hunted out. I can't help but believe that may come to pass with hogs too.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The real trouble is, finding a farmer, that is willing to let you hunt on his land!

Just read this thread and then the rest of this board to understand WHY. If you don't understand why, then you probably ARE why.

They can be hunted out and they HAVE been hunted out, they have been hunted out of Indiana before and it was in a time when Indiana was a lot more wild, people had to spend a lot more time working just to eat and had a lot less effective weapons.

The thought that the people who LIVE here, WORK here, and HUNT here need help from any one ANY where else to kill any thing here on their land is laughable. The thought they need some pack of kids from Indianapolis, Danville or where ever to come save them from hogs in their own back yard...:rolleyes:

Let's just say the people who live here don't put a dime on the front site of their AR15 and play with it in their apartment in front of the TV to practice because the shooting range is too far, too expensive, or it's raining outside.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Just read this thread and then the rest of this board to understand WHY. If you don't understand why, then you probably ARE why.

They can be hunted out and they HAVE been hunted out, they have been hunted out of Indiana before and it was in a time when Indiana was a lot more wild, people had to spend a lot more time working just to eat and had a lot less effective weapons.

The thought that the people who LIVE here, WORK here, and HUNT here need help from any one ANY where else to kill any thing here on their land is laughable. The thought they need some pack of kids from Indianapolis, Danville or where ever to come save them from hogs in their own back yard...:rolleyes:

Let's just say the people who live here don't put a dime on the front site of their AR15 and play with it in their apartment in front of the TV to practice because the shooting range is too far, too expensive, or it's raining outside.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to attack us here, but I'm not interested in your opinions at this point, since it was unwarranted. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    For awhile I heard quite a bit about hogs and then nothing. I have heard from various others that hogs 'can't be hunted out'. Sadly I do not think that is true. Look at all the critters that at one time were here in Indiana that have been hunted out. I can't help but believe that may come to pass with hogs too.

I'm not sure if the climate here will be a factor, but in the south, their population is exploding, in spite of a heavy increase in hunting. They are damaging millions of dollars in crops in Texas, and many land owners there are happy to have folks come in and hunt them. I've been invited back by the farmers whose land we hunted last year, and they've said to come any time, as the hogs are causing ever increasing problems.

If they take off here like in Texas, we won't have so much trouble finding folks happy to grant permission to go after them.

In the mean time, I'll keep practicing in my living room, and avoiding the rain at the range. ;)

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    They are common as far N as Georgia & Tenn. DNR says they have had reports here but I've never seen sign. I hunt hogs in Texas every Jan and we use rifles, .270 win or .243 works well., one guy even uses muz. loader. I use a .44 mag rifle, Indiana deer gun. Usual shot is about 125 yrds, you aim right under the ear and they drop like stones and you don't hurt the meat. Feral hog is better meat than old Russian Boar.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    There is no big secret as to where they are, HELL, here is a map with GPS coordinates at the bottom of the picture.
    The real trouble is, finding a farmer, that is willing to let you hunt on his land!

wildpigs2i.png

If you enlarge the screen shot from Google Earth at the bottom, in the middle you can see,

38* 46' 12.12" N 86* 18' 19.25 W Elev 670 ft

And Jack is right, whether you like the way he put it or not.

I have in-laws that own a LARGE farm right in the screen shot and I promise you, you knock on his door and ask for permission to hunt on his land, you will like his response even less than Jack's!

These people are not the type to want or ask for help, with anything. They're the people Hank Jr sang about in "Country Boy Can Survive" and those are the friendly ones.

There are others, you get out of your car/truck in their driveway and you might here the banjo music from Deliverance.

Not being a smartass or saying anything about anybody in this thread, at all.
    These are just different people out here that want to be left alone, to make a living off "their" land, ask anyone that truly knows these folks.

I am related by marriage, they are good people, just very private country folks for the most part.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    If you enlarge the screen shot from Google Earth at the bottom, in the middle you can see,

I have in-laws that own a LARGE farm right in the screen shot and I promise you, you knock on his door and ask for permission to hunt on his land, you will like his response even less than Jack's!

These people are not the type to want or ask for help, with anything. They're the people Hank Jr sang about in "Country Boy Can Survive" and those are the friendly ones.

There are others, you get out of your car/truck in their driveway and you might here the banjo music from Deliverance.

These are just different people out here that want to be left alone, to make a living off "their" land, ask anyone that truly knows these folks.

I am related by marriage, they are good people, just very private country folks for the most part.

i liked Jacks response. and I like country people. thats where i grew up, and i miss the country.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

i liked Jacks response. and I like country people. thats where i grew up, and i miss the country.

Thank you.

Half these guys problem in this thread is they either can't tell when some one is trying to do them a favor or they are already so just jam packed full of "knowledge" they don't have room for any more help.

Best thing they could do is just display all that competance soon as they pull in a guy's driveway. So the dumb country folk understand right way how much they really need you and what a big favor it is for you to take time out of your busy city schedules to drive out to hickville and help 'em out with your high tech tactical equipment and training.

That'll help. May be bring a few beads and trinkets to trade.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Pffft, country people don't need you kids from the city bringing them Fig Newtons. Old fashion country people make their own Fig Newtons!

Like the Hank Jr. song, "I got a shotgun, rifle and a pack of Fig Newtons with a bannana and a glass of milk, country boy can survive.":D

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I'm now hearing that a boar was taken at Salamonie Reservoir. Has anyone else heard this?

Thank you,

Josh

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

Hmm. Must be a Lawrence County thing. I went to a country church for years, where the majority of the congregation were farmers. Never saw anything but kind Hoosier hospitality. Never ran into the Deliverance type. Sorry to hear that Lawrence county is that way. Better keep your pants up and belt tight, and your AR handy when you go down there, I guess.

Same thing in Texas, except for a real appreciation for people wanting to go after the hogs, which were damaging crops. I guess the Texans just can't take care of themselves like those in Lawrence County. Maybe that's why the hogs haven't taken root there. ;) (Hey, that was a good pun, wasn't it? Get it.....hogs....root?? :D)

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Hmm. Must be a Lawrence County thing. I went to a country church for years, where the majority of the congregation were farmers. Never saw anything but kind Hoosier hospitality. Never ran into the Deliverance type. Sorry to hear that Lawrence county is that way. Better keep your pants up and belt tight, and your AR handy when you go down there, I guess.

Same thing in Texas, except for a real appreciation for people wanting to go after the hogs, which were damaging crops. I guess the Texans just can't take care of themselves like those in Lawrence County. Maybe that's why the hogs haven't taken root there. ;) (Hey, that was a good pun, wasn't it? Get it.....hogs....root?? :D)

Let me guess, you live on a culdesac, you pay HOA fee's, or have a nice condo, or live in an apartment?
    Now be honest which is it?
    Feel free to post your answer.

But seriously,
    Any of the folks I know personally, that live in this area, that OWN farms that have been in their family for generations, would be one of the first people to stop and help someone having a problem out on the road, without exception!

They are also the same people, that know and help their neighbors, anytime anyplace, for any reason. Most would welcome in a stranger and feed him food they have grown if that person truly needed a meal.

However the "Hoosier Hospitality" STOPS COLD, when someone they do not know personally or are not related to, out of the blue volunteers to help them enjoy the land they have worked so hard to hang onto through generations of hard work blood sweat and tears, and yes they too enjoy hunting the land they own.

I had an oldtimer tell something that went kinda like this, "I have had hundreds of guys stop and ask if they could hunt, fish or trap on my land, and I tell each of them the same thing, nobody ever stops to ask if they can help me work the farm, or help me feed the cows, help me pay the taxes or insurance, they all just want to help themselves enjoy the land that I have worked for all my life"

How many total strangers do you welcome in to help you enjoy what ever it is you have worked for?

And about my pants, I have no worries about my belt being loose. I have worked on these farms in exchange for food and fellowship, I have hauled corn and beans, put up hay the old fashion way (square bales) and I never ask for anything in return either, except maybe their friendship.

They save the banjo music for strangers asking for favors that they don't know.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Let me guess, you live on a culdesac, you pay HOA fee's, or have a nice condo, or live in an apartment?
    Now be honest which is it?
    Feel free to post your answer.

But seriously,
    Any of the folks I know personally, that live in this area, that OWN farms that have been in their family for generations, would be one of the first people to stop and help someone having a problem out on the road, without exception!

They are also the same people, that know and help their neighbors, anytime anyplace, for any reason. Most would welcome in a stranger and feed him food they have grown if that person truly needed a meal.

However the "Hoosier Hospitality" STOPS COLD, when someone they do not know personally or are not related to, out of the blue volunteers to help them enjoy the land they have worked so hard to hang onto through generations of hard work blood sweat and tears, and yes they too enjoy hunting the land they own.

I had an oldtimer tell something that went kinda like this, "I have had hundreds of guys stop and ask if they could hunt, fish or trap on my land, and I tell each of them the same thing, nobody ever stops to ask if they can help me work the farm, or help me feed the cows, help me pay the taxes or insurance, they all just want to help themselves enjoy the land that I have worked for all my life"

How many total strangers do you welcome in to help you enjoy what ever it is you have worked for?

And about my pants, I have no worries about my belt being loose. I have worked on these farms in exchange for food and fellowship, I have hauled corn and beans, put up hay the old fashion way (square bales) and I never ask for anything in return either, except maybe their friendship.

They save the banjo music for strangers asking for favors that they don't know.

What would you think of me if I told you I lived in a trailer?

Read a little more carefully. With tongue in cheek, I was describing the way Jack Ryan was painting the good folks of that area.

I'm really not understanding why some guys think it is a crime to ask permission to hunt. Many farmers grant it. If they don't want to, they can say no, as some have that I have asked. They said it politely and were very friendly.

He implied they would point a gun to your face just for approaching and asking. If they were as described, I would hardly call them friendly. But again, I was going off of someone else's description.

Fact is, I don't believe they are as belligerent as you and Jack Ryan say they are.

I'm amazed that this thread triggered such a rush of testosterone in you guys.

Sorry I didn't make this easier for you to understand before.

I'm heading back to Texas in the fall, where the folks who put their "blood, sweat, and tears" into their land are happy to have good folks come in and help put a dent in a problem that costs them dearly. I don't think there's enough wild hogs in Indiana to get too excited over at this point anyway. I've scouted places further south, some with the permission of farmers (Imagine that!?!), and have come across little evidence of anything worth the effort. However, I believe they will one day become more populated here, unless the winters are too tough for them.

Really, the original issue wasn't the farmers, but the hunters who won't share
    info, which is their right, as it is the right of others to complain about it, even if they lived in a trailer. ;)

Panama--You are the one that brought the farmers into this, not me.

Last edited:

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    What would you think of me if I told you I lived in a trailer?

Panama--You are the one that brought the farmers into this, not me.

It would make absolutely no difference to me if you live in a trailer, or in a mansion on Giest reservoir. I try to base my personal opinions of people on attitude and character.

Principal Skinr--The reason I brought the farmers into this, is they are the ones that own the land, there is no "Public Land" in the area where these hogs are.

But if you care to go back and look, you stated,
    The problem is that no one is really going to tell you where they are, in Indiana, for fear of spoiling their own fun. You'll have to go someplace where they consider the hogs a scourge, and would be happy to let you in on killing them.

I've talked to several guys who have zeroed in on them in Indiana, only to have them suddenly clam up when they realized I was serious about hunting them.

I not only told you "where they are", but I also gave you GPS coordinates, and then told you what the obstacles you would likely run into with land owners in that area.

I never said you couldn't or shouldn't ask any of the locals to hunt on their land, I was merely giving you a friendly heads up on the response you would likely get.

Trust me, I know these people, I am related (by marriage) to these people. There are some that Jack described to a "T" and there are others that might be a bit more polite. But in the small area that I gave you the coordinates to, you will get way fewer polite responses, than you will get the more direct answer to, "can I hunt on your land".

I find it odd, that anyone would be offend by an honest straight forward answer to a question they have ask?

Top Bottom