• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Indy
    I'm looking to buy my first 9mm, which one is the question?

Guidelines:
    Home and personal protection
    Sometime carry (concealed)
    4" barrel range
    Blued or blacked finish
    Full size no compacts
    Under $500
    Ok with used

Questions:
    Factory demo?
    Does clip / magazine size matter?
    New or used?
    Does used / demo gun round count matter?
    Gun show, store or private seller?
    ???

I'm considering:
    PX4 Storm
    FNP
    XD9
    M&P

Not interested in a Glock

What I'd like comments from current or past owners from my list.

Currently own a 38 & a 357

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I carry Glocks, but of the guns you listed the M&P has me most interested.

The FNP was interesting but I think you may be limited in holster selection to some extent. The M&P's are getting high praise.

Do you have other handguns?

Many of your questions are preferences. There is no such thing as too many rounds. You need to handle some and see what grip, controls and trigger feel comfortable.

Depending on where you are located, I'd advise checking out Plainfield Shooting Supply, Beech Grove Firearms or Bradis in the Indy area.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    With the options you put out there i would say the M&P. I love mine and wouldnt trade it for anything. Especially not a Glock ( i traded a glock for my M&P). Just be ready for all the glock fanboys to jump all over this thread and say that the g19 is the best thing ever...even though its not on your list. good luck, hope this helps.

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I am a fan of Glock, but I would say check out the M&P and the FNP. You might also want to check out some CZ 9mm's. I have been looking at the CZ SP01 Phantom a lot as well as the FNP.

CJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Indy
    Ruger 38
    S&W .357

I live on the N side of Indy, I'll check out Plainfield and Beech Grove.

Jetrefz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would select the m and p on your list but xds are nice...kind of ugly in my opinion but u get a lot of goodies with your initial purchase including a decent holster...the xds and smiths are right up there with glocks i reliability and accuracy

CJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Indy
    Thanks for the answers. I went to Bob's this morning,
    going to Bradis tomorrow and there are a couple on classified.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    I have an FNP9. It shoots and feels great. I ordered a crossbreed super tuck for mine. They also fit perfect in holsters made for the Springfield XD.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm partial to the Beretta 92, or the Taurus clone PT99. Full size, 15+ rounds and well built.

Let the bashing begin.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    Try before you buy. We like our Glock 19 and the 1911. I like the used market as there can be quite the cost savings. Check out weight and see what is comfortable for you. Also, some frames are easier to conceal than others.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Stay away from guns with clips, it's really antiquated technology. Magazine size after you get past about 7 it's all gravy, and in 9mm full size semi auto I'd be looking at at least 10 from a single stack or at least 15 from a double stack. If you're new to guns a .38 or .357 revolver may not be a bad idea until you get some more practice and familiarity under your belt and are sure you'll commit to training frequently with handling malfunctions.

G19 fits your requirements to the letter and so would the G17, and there's good reason for all of us here saying so...so while it may not be what you have in mind, it wouldn't hurt to pick one up hold it in your and and grill the guy behind the counter on them, if it introduces possibility then rent one, if not then you've at least considered it. IMO the FNP and PX4 tend to run on the high side with price, XD requires some big hands not bulletproof reliability, just be aware of it, and M&Ps feel too thin to me and have had their share of mechanical failures. XD and M&P I'd trust for carry after about 500-1000

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I have "several" Glocks and the more I shoot them the more I'm convinced the G19 is nearly the perfect one. Good barrel length, easily concealable (I even carried one on my ankle for awhile), 15+1 capacity plus it will take the 17 rounder from the G17, a wide variety of holster availability, comfortably handles really warm loads like the Speer Gold Dot 124gr+P, is very accurate and is relatively cheap. I would recommend the 19 over the 17 since it is easier to carry and you don't really need the little extra barrel length of the 17.

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    yeah i agree with springer cz 75 is really for the price. and on the list go with the xd or m&p

any man who cant afford a real gun buys a glock

Top Bottom