• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • neycx1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2022
    Noblesville
    Gotta agree with some of the other comments here. This is something that you'll hopefully never have to use but want to know its quality should you ever need it. Shield, Glock 19, Glock 43, Springfield XD are all great options. Might be double your price point, but you'll be much happier in the end.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Late to the party.

I bought a Ruger LCP 380 for right around $200. If you were limited to $250 that's where I would go. I shot an old Taurus .38 and had no complaints, but I wouldn't waste my money on anything recent.

Having read some of the OP comments it doesn't sound like he was looking for advice as much as confirmation. It also doesn't sound like practice is high on the agenda, and I wouldn't be shocked if the guy goes deaf (or is there already). So more power to you, friend. Hope it turns out in your favor.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is a great conversation though I think we may have lost the OP. Haven't seen a response in a few pages now.

Folks can tend to put up defenses when they receive contrarian advice that doesn't fall within the scope of what they want to accomplish.

Though I may initially bristle at someone telling me my thinking is not the best, I usually take a breath and realize that they are trying to help.

Just like the other day when I was bitching about the cost of primers and how I may have to find another hobby, whaa, whaa and a poster said "how about shooting more .22 at the range, is that an option?" Well, yes it is. And now I will stop bitching. When I run out of primers, I'll enjoy the 22LR. I have a few in various configurations. Heck I could even start shooting competitions with .22 if so desired. :)

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    This is a great conversation though I think we may have lost the OP. Haven't seen a response in a few pages now.

Folks can tend to put up defenses when they receive contrarian advice that doesn't fall within the scope of what they want to accomplish.

Though I may initially bristle at someone telling me my thinking is not the best, I usually take a breath and realize that they are trying to help.

Just like the other day when I was bitching about the cost of primers and how I may have to find another hobby, whaa, whaa and a poster said "how about shooting more .22 at the range, is that an option?" Well, yes it is. And now I will stop bitching. When I run out of primers, I'll enjoy the 22LR. I have a few in various configurations. Heck I could even start shooting competitions with .22 if so desired. :)
    .22 is great! And if you watch when online stores are in stock it's easy to buy in bulk.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I just read through quite a few of these comments and I see the OP’s auto correct keeps changing “gun” to “hun” I think I found the issue.

crosse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2015
    PNW
    I wouldn't recommend a sccy as you've guessed most won't. The tauruses and I like the G3's so far. they are very affordable and so far reliable. BUT I can't vet them yet as a carry gun. My suggestion is if its job is to be only a carry gun, go with the S&W 442/642. There's no better budget gun you will in fact carry all day everyday.

22LRFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 9, 2022
    East Central Indiana
    Any of the lower end guns from any main company will be fine. I've shot or owned Taurus as well as the Ruger 9mm and they all were fine and would go bang. At that price range, I wouldn't over think it. Get a gun. Then when you can move on quality, do it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    There is no changing her mind. She actually hates guns. Grew up around them but hates them. So it’s that or a big ass argument.
    Have the argument. If you have no children I'd give her 6 months to become smarter then I'd lose the wife. Makes more sense than having an arbitrary limit on the price of a tool you'll depend on to save your life.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Not to hijack this thread, but I'm researching something new(ish) for CC.

I currently OC a 92FS but would like to get something good for CC that's:
    1) not plastic
    2) a design that's been around awhile and has long term parts supply & support
    3) known reliability

No real budget, just what is best fit to parameters above.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Not to hijack this thread, but I'm researching something new(ish) for CC.

I currently OC a 92FS but would like to get something good for CC that's:
    1) not plastic
    2) a design that's been around awhile and has long term parts supply & support
    3) known reliability

No real budget, just what is best fit to parameters above.
    A Glock or (opps, no plastic) S&W revolver fills those requirements. Or a Kahr MK series.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I have a SCCY. I have it because my bonehead sil (now ex-sil) bought it cuz it was cheap. Daughter asked my advice after they wasted their money on it.

Daughter hated what little she shot it. The grip is horrible and bites your hand. I shot one mag thru it with her. Then I handed her my Bersa 380 to try. Now she has the Bersa and I have the SCCY.

Shield 9, 380 EZ, Bodyguard 380 are all better carry guns.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Any of the lower end guns from any main company will be fine. I've shot or owned Taurus as well as the Ruger 9mm and they all were fine and would go bang. At that price range, I wouldn't over think it. Get a gun. Then when you can move on quality, do it.

Agreed, buy what you can afford...but BUY IT! Stop hem-hawing around.

Got a good buddy who wanted a permit, but didn't get it until Indiana dropped the fee for it. Then he waited forever to get a handgun to carry. I'd mention good deals to him, but he wouldn't pull the trigger. (I finally shut up about it, I hate nags as much as anybody and I didn't want to turn into one.)

A few weeks ago he showed me an email from Rural King, Taurus G3c on sale, with $25 rebate, a really good deal. He bought it and I'm glad he did.

With inflation starting to gallop, now is the time to get what you need.

(BTW: Ruger LC9s is my EDC the last 5 years. Still runs fine)

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I would till you to have the argument now as you will will have it at some point. Been there done that. My wife can't see why anyone needs a gun. When we ment and dated I always had a 1911 on me. One night we were going some place and she started in on my gun. I told her it was there when she ment me and married me and it would be there till I was dieing. She still don't like guns after 20 years.

Eric94

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2022
    Georgetown
    What is everyone’s thoughts and experiences on SCCY?
    I’m looking to get my first ccw, and I have a price limit of 250. I will never carry a high point so I’m looking at other options. SCCY is a affordable option but I don’t know anyone that has experience with them.
    I would honestly look at a police trade in Glock 22.
    Aim surplus has them for $350 right now.
    I wouldn't bet my life on a SCCY.
    Will it work, probably.
    Will it malfunction more than a Glock, probably.
    Personally I wouldn't chance it.

Top Bottom