• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I had a Skky gen 1, back before they had to change their name and start over. I wouldn't recommend it, so if you're in the used market watch out for that. If you get into the neighborhood of 400 and take your time looking around, you can really expand your options.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I’ve read a lot of opinions about SCCY on this thread but didn’t recall any being a first hand experience. As they say, opinions are like axxholes, everyone has one.
    Actually there are some people who have two. The one they were born with and the one they married.

No reference to the OP in this regard.

Typically the thought comes to mind when thinking of family....

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    This is perhaps an unfair criticism. We don't know just how anti-gun his wife is and how much work he had to do to get to the agreement he has

Why seek out a major argument, pick your battles. Once he gets an acceptable carry option and demonstrates that he is safe in its operation (and maybe gets her to the range because 'you really should know how to use it too') then is the time to lobby to step up in quality

The really unfortunate thing is that it is such an expensive time to seek even a used firearm as well as the ammunition to practice. He might have been able to stay closer to budget pre-Biden
    It might be unfair, but I don't care.

I don't care what the wife's issue with guns are, it's her issue to deal with. I would be more concerned why she thinks she has that much control over what I do. I could understand if it was a financial issue, but he already said it's not.

So therefore the only issue I see is a control issue.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It might be unfair, but I don't care.

I don't care what the wife's issue with guns are, it's her issue to deal with. I would be more concerned why she thinks she has that much control over what I do. I could understand if it was a financial issue, but he already said it's not.

So therefore the only issue I see is a control issue.

It's not always a bad thing. Some folks are better off controlled. Maybe she'll make him wear earpro?

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington

Just the first thread I came across on a quick search...
    Beat me to it!
    I posted in that one. All the haters gonna hate. A gun in hand is better than none as they say. I still have mine in the safe and would not be afraid to take it out, load it up and walk out the door with it on my hip. JMO
    I don't think anyone suggested to the OP yet: Resale when done with it won't be a money maker but then they are inexpensive to begin with.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What is everyone’s thoughts and experiences on SCCY?
    I’m looking to get my first ccw, and I have a price limit of 250. I will never carry a high point so I’m looking at other options. SCCY is a affordable option but I don’t know anyone that has experience with them.
    Post in thread 'Cant decide on a budget 9mm' https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/cant-decide-on-a-budget-9mm.475630/post-8122976

20200731_054442.jpg

Old picture Taurus G2c with a Mec-Gar 18rd P226 magazine and a sleeve I bought on Ebay. This gun ran flawlessly.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Beat me to it!
    I posted in that one. All the haters gonna hate. A gun in hand is better than none as they say. I still have mine in the safe and would not be afraid to take it out, load it up and walk out the door with it on my hip. JMO
    I don't think anyone suggested to the OP yet: Resale when done with it won't be a money maker but then they are inexpensive to begin with.

You seen that the OP's local, right? Are ready to part with your's?

You could either end or start another batch of marital squabbling?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The latest RK ad has the Taurus G3c for less than $250. Call the local to see if in stock. If not, oder online at RKGuns.com and pick up locally.

Just to springboard on this. . . OP, if you go to rkguns.com, click on pistols, select 9mm, and sort by price you can see what's available in your budget range.

That said, a firearm is not a lucky charm, or a magic talisman. It has to work when called upon, and the user (i.e. you) needs the knowledge and skills to know when it's necessary, and how to make it happen.

Of the sub $400 listings, if that was an absolute requirement, the only options I'd consider from the list are the Rugers (several fall below $400) or the Springfield XD sub compact (at $399.99). None of these would be my first choice, but given your self-imposed "limitations" those seem to be some of the better options.

Here an article you might find interesting:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    A friend has a SCCY. I went to the range with him a while back. It couldn't get though more than one round at a time...would jam every time it tried to strip a round out of the mag. Literally every time. I looked at it briefly...nothing was obviously broken, but the whole thing just felt shoddy and cheap as heck, and not really worth the effort to do a thorough diagnosis. That gun is one example of something that might actually be worse than no gun at all.

He also owns an S&W Shield, and had it with him. I asked him why he wasn't carrying that, and he said because the SCCY was smaller. I told him to suck it up and carry the bigger gun that actually works.

Many here have suggested a Taurus. It's probably better than the SCCY, but from my experience they're not a great option, either. I've owned two of their revolvers, which actually have a better reputation than the semis...both had issues, and both got sent back for repair then sold off. I've also repaired a few for other people...they tend to go out of time, and I have a suspicion that it's because they don't heat-treat the parts properly. I won't own another...I'm not getting burned again.

If you absolutely have to meet the $250 price point (which is unreasonable, IMO), I'd shop the used rack at sportsman's warehouse for a beat up old S&W Model 10 or 36. I've seen them there in that price range, and while they're ugly, they'll likely serve you better than a piece of junk like an SCCY or rolling the dice with bargain basement Brazilian manufacturing and quality control.

Ultimately, like many others, my recommendation is to spend a little more and buy something decent. While not my first choice, some of the plastic Ruger semi-autos could probably be found very close to your price range, and would be worlds better than a SCCY. But spending $400-$500 on a Glock, Smith, or a Sig will actually save you money and headaches in the long run, and provide you with a reliable gun that will likely last the rest of your life.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We may have run him off or else we have beat the "horse" long enough, lol.

I have spent a lot of money I wasn't planning on by starting threads asking a question.;)

But I am not unhappy with those purchases, my most recent being a M&P 15-22 that wasn't even on my radar until it was mentioned as an option to a PCC after the group saw my interest was waning.

Those guys still got me to pry open my wallet!

vacman2036

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2022
    Tipton
    I’m looking to get my first ccw, and I have a price limit of 250. I will never carry a high point so I’m looking at other options. SCCY is a affordable option but I don’t know anyone that has experience with them.
    I think you would be better getting the Taurus G2C or G3C. They are very good for the price. I have seen the G2C before at $229 at Dunham's Sports. Most places have it at $249 all the time. Holsters are easy to get for it too. JMO and everyone has one. Good luck and I hope whatever you decide it works the best for you l.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If he isn't allowed more than $250 for the gun I highly doubt he'll ever put more than a few boxes of ammo through it in a lifetime. So he doesn't really need a gun to last him 70 years shooting it thousands of rounds a month or even a year. Since he still can hear he probably hasn't shot a whole lot.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If he isn't allowed more than $250 for the gun I highly doubt he'll ever put more than a few boxes of ammo through it in a lifetime. So he doesn't really need a gun to last him 70 years shooting it thousands of rounds a month or even a year. Since he still can hear he probably hasn't shot a whole lot.
    This is probably very true. We all know people who own guns that other than shortly after purchasing it, hasn't shot them in years.

My brother and sister-in-law bought a 9 mm and a .22 semi-auto pistol. They took a class and my SIL did another range session with the guy he took the class from. That was about a year ago. They haven't touched them since. Kudos for them taking a class before buying and then buying smartly. Hopefully I can score a BIL price when they need a new dining room set! :)

I work with a guy who has an inexpensive pistol( I think its a Taurus 709) he bought years ago and stuck it in an cheap holster. He keeps it in his backpack. He may have shot it once or twice. I am betting he hasn't even cycled the slide or cleaned it since I have worked here. And that's been over 7 years.

I have told folks when they are hell bent on buying a firearm but have no intention of shooting it regularly that they should buy want they want since it really doesn't matter.

I have another co-worker that bought a Kimber Micro 9 Sapphire because it was "pretty". She had never shot a gun and isn't planning on it, but her and her husband thought they should have them because of what is going on in the world these days.

I surmise that a majority of gun owners won't put more than a box or two through a given firearm. Relatively speaking, I shoot a lot(about 6K rounds/year) but compared to some I know that average 30K/year, I'm a noob.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom