• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Don't forget the cowboy boots and plaid.

So long as all the participants no this is just tacticool fun, well then live and let live.

I think the real problem isn't what the people in the video were thinking, it's that this thread proves that firearms enthusiasts as a whole don't know how to just relax and have fun... and let others do the same. The class gets bonus points for getting Trapper Jim's panties in a twist.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Don't forget the cowboy boots and plaid.

So long as all the participants no this is just tacticool fun, well then live and let live.
    I think longmire pulled off the tactical vest and lever gun better. Looks like a fun course. Wonder if .22 lever guns would be allowed. Cheaper to shoot

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    I've been teaching a levergun class for quite a while. It generates a lot of discussion, but outside of a panic in VA a few years ago, it doesn't sell well. I've designated it as a contract only class now.

I've only seen snippets of video from Mr. Costa's class. In one, he was making loading a round much more difficult than it actually is, but perhaps his technique was gear driven due to a specific issue with the rifle he was using.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I've been teaching a levergun class for quite a while. It generates a lot of discussion, but outside of a panic in VA a few years ago, it doesn't sell well. I've designated it as a contract only class now.

I've only seen snippets of video from Mr. Costa's class. In one, he was making loading a round much more difficult than it actually is, but perhaps his technique was gear driven due to a specific issue with the rifle he was using.
    I was going to mention I have seen lever gun classes before, including yours at TacCon in 2018 IIRC. I think most people train with Mr. Costa because of who he is, not necessarily what you are going to learn.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Aside from the bickering if this is stupid or not.

Are there any benefits to using a lever gun in a tactical situation? Don’t get me wrong training with a tool is great just like you train weak hand. I was just trying to think if besides necessity there was a reason to grab your lever instead of modern semi auto.

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia

Are there any benefits to using a lever gun in a tactical situation? Don’t get me wrong training with a tool is great just like you train weak hand. I was just trying to think if besides necessity there was a reason to grab your lever instead of modern semi auto.

Yes, the lack of mechanical offset means you can shoot to the sights at across the room distances.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil

While an AR is a great tool there is nothing wrong with grabbing a Lever-gun either.

And to add to what JLM mentioned. A lot of folks just don’t train every weekend to master little quirks with the AR or etc.

Then, What’s really practical? For me just Like a K or L Frame S&W Revolver a lever gun will get most mortals through the night.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I certainly appreciate the cool factor. It's quite romanticized in the movies, especially when hot chicks are shooting zombies in slow motion with cool leverguns. :)

If you are hunting big game or fishing in grizzly country, I could see having to fight with your levergun. Attacked by marauders? Stumble on to some sort of drug operation, that they'd have to kill you for seeing?

Think I'll keep my AR and Glock though. Especially since any two legged threat today will likely be sporting that sort of weapon? :draw:

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I certainly appreciate the cool factor. It's quite romanticized in the movies, especially when hot chicks are shooting zombies in slow motion with cool leverguns. :)
    That's what makes me cringe every time I see these hydro-dipped Franken-guns with tacticool rails.

An AR should look like that, not a Marlin 30-30 lever action.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Chris Costa is an excellent shooter and a beyond real instructor, both in firearms instruction and general life advice and training.. You can knock him all you want for pointing in airsoft gun around in Japan because that’s what they wanted, or creating a tactical lever gun course, but I encourage you to consider attending a 3 day course of his before you do.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Chris Costa is an excellent shooter and a beyond real instructor, both in firearms instruction and general life advice and training.. You can knock him all you want for pointing in airsoft gun around in Japan because that’s what they wanted, or creating a tactical lever gun course, but I encourage you to consider attending a 3 day course of his before you do.

I don't know much about him other than he worked for Magpul and took a lot of **** for being in the Coast Guard. Most of the videos I see of him are just him having a good time... especially when he firs started posting videos of his modified lever guns.

I never heard of Costagate until this thread and that video is simply a non-issue and more proof that the shooting community as a whole likes to eat itself alive whenever possible.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I don't know much about him other than he worked for Magpul and took a lot of **** for being in the Coast Guard. Most of the videos I see of him are just him having a good time... especially when he firs started posting videos of his modified lever guns.

I never heard of Costagate until this thread and that video is simply a non-issue and more proof that the shooting community as a whole likes to eat itself alive whenever possible.
    Quoted for truth.

Costagate was pretty short lived or maybe I just quit paying attention to it pretty quick.

If a group of people want to get together and have a blast shooting leverguns, good for them. If I had a pile of cash laying around that needed burned up, shooting it out of my leverguns sound like a good way to do it. Actually I'm jealous of it.

I couldn't care less how someone modified their weapon, if it blows your hair back go for it. I've seen plenty of guns that don't appeal to me, doesn't mean someone else wouldn't love it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom