• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pat102ko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Westfield
    Thanks for all the suggestions and I will most likely take one of you guys up on your offer to let me try a couple of yours guns to shoot. I really dont have too much of a reason for choosing the M&P pro besides it looked like it got good reviews and I thought it looked kinda cool.

KingThomas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    My first was a Springfirld XD 9mm. GREAT gun. I even ended up picked up an XD40 shortly after! But I recently picked up a Glock 19, and its one of the better guns I've ever owned. The M&P Shield is a fantastic gun as well. Best of luck!

Jroe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    Another to consider would be a CZ-P07 duty. Available in 40 S&W or 9mm. Extremely accurate, reliable, same capacity/size/weight as an xdm and cheaper than all the guns you have listed

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Yes, do try them before you buy if you can. I did not have that option when I was looking recently for my first. My requirements were for EDC primarily & safety features. Without shooting first I decided on the XDS- 9. My other strong choice was a Sig P938. The Sig was a little heavier(IMO) . I liked that the XDS had less metal to rust since it was going to be my (buddy) and go everywhere with me. I do a lot of outside things so I expected to sweat on it. I also liked the safety features on the XDS.. No thumb safety to deal with... Just grip & pull. There is a chance my wife may fire it so I wanted it simple. I'm sure you'll enjoy which ever you choose, so good luck !

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Try all that you can but remember.... If it's too much trouble to carry.. Size, weight, too valuable to sweat on etc. You may not carry it much if at all. That being said, any gun when you need it is better than no gun at all.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The OP didn't mention carry as one of the uses of this gun, so in that case I would recommend staying away from the smaller guns like the XDS or the baby Glocks. You will shoot the midsize and larger guns better in most cases.

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    If CC is a thing for OP: I found one of the mini-glocks a PITA to shoot, but the subcompact XD 9 was not too bad for me with the 'extended' mag in it. .

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Since this is still active. What is a good choice for a first handgun? What gun for my wife? What gun for my kid? What gun for my parent? Oddly enough excluding super extenuating circumstances my answer is the same:

4" or longer medium/full sized polymer framed striker fired service pistol with good sights no manual safety and that fires a suitable cartridge. Wow! What a mouth full.

1) Glock 17/19/34 (9mm)
    2) M&P 9
    3) Walther PPQ (9mm)
    4) FNS (9mm)
    5) Springfield XDm (9mm)

pat102ko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Westfield
    I saw that someone posted something about carrying and I really do not plan on it currently but will most likely get my license to avoid any issues in transporting / just to have. I'm going to the range with a co-worker this weekend to shoot some of his arsenal (xdm,glock 34, M&P, and a believe the p226 but im not sure). I'll let y'all know what I think of them! I appreciate all the different opinions given and offered help. :)

pat102ko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Westfield
    So I shot the xdm 5.25, xdm 4.5, and a upgraded 1911 the other day. What I can say, is this won't be an easy decision lol. I liked the longer barrel of the xdm and I shot pretty well with it but I also liked the overall feel of a 1911 plus it was very accurate as well. I still have to shoot the ppq, a glock of some kind and the m&P pro before I drop the cash on something.

Also, I was looking into cz as well. Are their any ones that I should be looking at?

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not an easy choice I know. I have owned several Glocks and a couple M&P Pros. I am a Glock Fan. Currently I carry and shoot 1911 95% of the time. BUT, I was very impressed with the Walther PPQ. I own a 1st gen P99 and it is very accurate. The 5" PPQ seemed to just shots right on target for me.

FYI I shoot 1911 almost exclusively. I do not recommend a 1911 as a first handgun. Trust me you will want another soon enough.

SwampDude

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Lots of good suggestions offered already, so I won't add to the mix.

My advice goes to your preparation to handle, load, unload, transport and shoot firearms. If you have more experience with guns than you mention thus far, maybe I'm off base; if your experience is as thin as I suspect, consider this: learning about firearm operations is serious business.

I had several mentors as a young man who taught me the rules and observed my progress until it was safe to turn me loose. I have had classes in later life to prepare for handgun ownership. Knowing how to use guns safely isn't intuitive. There are disciplined protocols to learn and practice until they become deeply ingrained in your noggin.

Find a mentor or take an NRA course or classes from a highly regarded instructor. I have seen and read about too many accidents and near-accidents because people didn't take proper steps to prepare for gun ownership. The responsibility you are taking on warrants some special preparation.

End of lecture.

bmiley1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Depends on what you want to do with it. If you are carrying, I like the Glock 19. My personal opinion is that if you want to get something for home protection, you can't go wrong with a 12 GA with 00 Buck.

Top Bottom