• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pat102ko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Westfield
    Yeah, I have had very little experience with guns before and once I moved from Illinois over to Indiana, it was something I wanted to try. My co-worker, chizzle, has been showing me the ropes lately and he has managed to get most of the guns that I listed. I shot the glock 17 the other day and was not as happy with it as I was with the xdm. It may have been just the barrel length that was buggin me.

pat102ko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Westfield
    Oddly enough after shooting a couple of them, I ended up deciding on picking the CZ-75 bd. Not really looking to carry, so I enjoyed the length and weight of the cz. I also shot very well with it. I appreciate everyone's opinions and offers to lend me guns to shoot. thanks!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Before you make up your mind, try out a revolver just to be sure you know which platform (revolver or semi-auto) you want. I shoot revolvers but all my friends shoot autos. It's whatever YOURE the most comfortable with.

pat102ko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Westfield
    I havent really looked into shooting any revolvers, so I'm not that educated on them. Are there specific models I should look at? How different are they from shooting a semi-auto like a glock or cz.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I havent really looked into shooting any revolvers, so I'm not that educated on them. Are there specific models I should look at? How different are they from shooting a semi-auto like a glock or cz.
    They're different in the respect that they're a different platform and call for a different shooting technique. Try .38 specials out first before shooting any magnum loads as the recoil is different in a revolver (it's all right there instead if functioning the slide). If you decide to buy one, try to find a nice .357 or a .38 snubbie, but be sure to practice because snubbie a require time to learn and shoot well. As to how they compare to glocks/czs/etc. they are relatively different but not difficult. They have double action or single action usually (modern revolvers) and have a heavier trigger pull because of this. The best advice I can give you is just to try one out.

pat102ko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Westfield
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out. It will be a while before I make purchase because of moving here recently but in the mean time, I'll give it a look.

MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    Springfield has a pretty hard to beat promo going on right now for their pistols. It may push you over the edge for the XDm. I would also recommend the Sig P320, HK VP9, or Walther PPQ. Also, don't rule out the Ruger SR9. There are some great striker-fired options out now.

Last edited:

pat102ko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Westfield
    Springfield has a pretty hard to beat promo going on right now for their pistols. It may push you over the edge for the XDm. I would also recommend the Sig P320, HK VP9, or Walther PPQ. Also, don't rule out the Ruger SR9. There are some great striker-fired options out now.

Thanks for the heads up on the Springfield promo!

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you haven't purchased one yet, I would look at the FNH family. I became a fan after trading my Sig P250 for a FNX-40. Incredibly smooth and hardly any recoil. I wanted a 9mm and perhaps a striker (FNS family) and I missed out on a couple that were on the INGO classified. Oh yeah, it's accurate too!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Before you make up your mind, try out a revolver just to be sure you know which platform (revolver or semi-auto) you want. I shoot revolvers but all my friends shoot autos. It's whatever YOURE the most comfortable with.

I'll second this opinion. try a revolver. I really like autos, but I NOW realize that I LOVE revolvers.
    If you can, try a full size .38/357, and maybe a .44 or 45 LC (even the oddball .45 ACP revolvers)
    I'd suggest, if you can borrow and try the following, S&W 686, 627, 625 Ruger Gp100, SP101, and the list goes on...

pat102ko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Westfield
    If you haven't purchased one yet, I would look at the FNH family. I became a fan after trading my Sig P250 for a FNX-40. Incredibly smooth and hardly any recoil. I wanted a 9mm and perhaps a striker (FNS family) and I missed out on a couple that were on the INGO classified. Oh yeah, it's accurate too!

Yeah, I still havent purchased yet. I've been pretty lazy in getting my new ID and everything else in order. Are there any other FNH guns I should look at?

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have a tricked out P226 I might be selling soon if you choose to stick with Sig. Very sweet shooter. 6 mags too, 3 of which are 20 rounders.
    KpM064Y.jpg

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    what a question? more fights have started over that question than whose sister is prettier. get ready guys because here comes the prejudices. i have one of each I think and I have started to develop some hard headed opinions. I have a polymer XDM that I put Tritium night sights on, did a Powder River Precision Trigger kit and tune job, and changed out to Wolf springs to handle recoil a little better. I know this pistol and it has as nice a trigger as I have ever felt on a striker fired. That being said, it still can not hold a candle to a revolver trigger. Revolver triggers are crisp and break like a glass rod. Striker fired is like mush and spongy as all getout. I've only shot a couple of hundred so I could be wrong, but my experience with revolvers ruins me for striker fired polymer. I have also bonded with every one of my revolvers and only two of my semi-autos. Conan called it "the Riddle of Steel" and once you start to chase it, it will consume you forever. He didn't call it the riddle of polymer. Revolvers are going up in price everyday. They are collectable for a reason. No one has ever heard of a new striker fired polymer being a collectable (not counting the Glock cult). Plastic crap that floats in the tub is not the same as steel.
    Bonding with my Browning High Power or my Colt model 70 national match gold cup has been tough, but rewarding. The trigger on that Colt is now like no other semi-auto. It doesn't pivot at the top, it pulls straight back. Once tuned, both have an awesome trigger. It took a year to figure out all the jamming issues with my Glock. The cult said it was never the gun, it was the magazine, or the ammo, or the ramp, or the extractor, or the ...; but it was never the Glocks fault. All the semi-autos jam from bad springs, worn ejectors, dirty mags, weak wristing, or whatever. My son will barely touch a wheel gun. He is a 1911 cult member as well as running around with a few polymers occasionally. I am the reverse. Show me a revolver and I'm in 7th heaven.

I'm shocked more wheel gun guys didn't speak up. Two I think out of the whole crowd liked wheel guns and the OP ignored the recommendation.

I feel like such an old fart with dreams of the past and out of touch with modern life. I just can't find my way to loving those polymers no matter how much time and money I put into them.

Lost

Top Bottom