• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There are rights and there are wrongs in the world. Some issues have gray areas, and some are black and white.

This one is black and white.

If you carry empty, you're doing it wrong. Stop carrying.

No debate, no excuses. You aren't ready to carry a firearm.

(I say this as someone that carried an empty chamber firearm when I first got started. Then I grew out of it.)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    That's why learning how to draw, present, and operate your gun with just your right hand and just your left hand is a good idea before you actually need to do it for real. There might even exist a 4 hour class wherein you spend your time learning these skills.

That 4-hour class completely changed the way I carry a gun. Very eye opening.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I have a 2 year old son. I would rather not fumble with racking a slide with my son in my arms. Draw and shoot. Two simple steps that can save your life.

Draw, one handed manipulation without a malfunction, shoot. Way too risky.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have a 2 year old son. I would rather not fumble with racking a slide with my son in my arms. Draw and shoot. Two simple steps that can save your life.

Draw, one handed manipulation without a malfunction, shoot. Way too risky.

EXCELLENT example of a situation where having an empty chamber could get you, and your child, killed.

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    I won't carry anything except my 1911 with a round chambered. I only will take a smaller "pocket" gun if clothing requires it (thin dress clothes, etc). Only because I don't trust them as much as I do my 1911 (even if I should). And i prefer to be armed, even if it is without a round chambered, than to be unarmed....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I won't carry anything except my 1911 with a round chambered. I only will take a smaller "pocket" gun if clothing requires it (thin dress clothes, etc). Only because I don't trust them as much as I do my 1911 (even if I should). And i prefer to be armed, even if it is without a round chambered, than to be unarmed....

False dichotomy. You can be armed and have one chambered. Pocket holster and nothing else in the pocket. Easy. If you don't trust it buy a LCR or J-frame.

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    For the people who carry without a round in the chamber. Why not just carry a gun with a manual safety?

This is obviously a very popular topic on gun forums, but every time I ask that question no one has an answer. It just makes no sense to me at all. This isn't the '90s when the only quality striker fired gun was a Glock. Today you have a TON of options. The Ruger SR series and LC9s both come with manual safeties. The S&W M&P series have optional safeties. Even in the little pocket 380 realm, the S&W Bodyguard 380 has a manual safety.

Truth be told, I am also one of those people concerned about negligent discharges with guns lacking manual safeties like Glocks. My solution wasn't to carry without a round chambered, rather it was to buy guns with manual safeties. I have a Ruger SR9c, an LC9s and a Taurus PT111. All have manual safeties. It is VASTLY easier to incorporate

If you want to carry a gun without a manual safety, great! Personally, I am not interested in doing so, but that is what makes the current market for concealed carry guns so awesome, we have a TON of options! I am sure that even the most ardent Glock guys will admit that carrying an M&P with a manual safety in condition 1 is MUCH better than carrying a Glock in condition 3.

This is easily the best video that I have seen on the topic of carrying without a round chambered, because it gives REAL LIFE examples:

https://www.facebook.com/ActiveSelfProtection/videos/vb.102416569866132/768156983292084

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    McJon77, just make damn sure you train with that safety until it is muscle memory. A manual safety can get you killed.

Two cases: greenwood Walmart. As I recall it was an armored car robbery. Good guy sees its go down and raises his gun point blank at the robber: no bang. He forgot the safety. (he finally tackeled the perp as I recall).

second a ccw guy gets held at gunpoint while they try to steal his motorcycle. He draws and pulls. No bang. Forgot the safety. Perp shoots and kills him when he sees the gun pointed at him. ( he had turned away for a sec to look at the bikes keys I think and the owner took that opportunity to shoot. )

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    McJon77, just make damn sure you train with that safety until it is muscle memory. A manual safety can get you killed.

Two cases: greenwood Walmart. As I recall it was an armored car robbery. Good guy sees its go down and raises his gun point blank at the robber: no bang. He forgot the safety. (he finally tackeled the perp as I recall).

second a ccw guy gets held at gunpoint who pile they try to steal his motorcycle. He draws and pulls. No bang. Forgot the safety. Perp shoots and kills him when he sees the gun pointed at him. ( he had turned away for a sec to look at the bikes keys I think and the owner took that opportunity to shoot. )

I can add a recent third no bang due to safety that resulted in the woman being beaten and raped.

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    Training with my firearm and practicing disengaging the safety during my draw goes without saying (but I will say it anyway). I view carrying a gun with a safety vs not as an all or nothing proposition. Either you train your draw to disengage the safety every time or don't bother carrying with a safety. Carrying a Glock 75% of the time, then a gun with a safety 25% of the time can lead to problems due to lack of muscle memory regarding disengaging the safety.

I also acknowledge that a gun with a safety requires more training and practice to deploy consistently than a gun with no safety. That is no problem for me because I love training and practicing. The great thing about practicing my draw is that there is no need to go to the range for it. I can practice everyday at home.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Hard Look....

Shoebill.gif

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

ChevyNova1970

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2015
    Northwest
    When I started carrying, I was a member on this website and compared the two ways of carrying (loaded and unloaded) and decided to carry one in the chamber. As long as your holster has a trigger guard and you know where to place your finger when drawing or handling your firearm, you will be fine!

Top Bottom