• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    You'll have to convince the majority of a school board plus their superintendent. I'm sure there's plenty of willing educators.

Good luck! Maybe somewhere someone will step up.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    My hat is off to you Guy, that is a very righteous offer. I would like to shake your hand for this someday. I just hope the offer gets publicity on the news, wouldn't that be something.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Guy,
    I'm in the process of speaking with the principal of my children's school and beginning a campaign to convince the Monroe County Community School Corporation that the security of our children is more important than their delicate sensibilities... I will be directing them to you!!!

I hope I can send you some students!

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Guy,

I said it in another post but this is EXACTLY what is needed! Professionals are defined by taking USEFUL actions when bad things happen. Hopefully the Schools will get on board with this.

Goes without saying I would be honored to help instruct, and certain I can bring a few .mil instructors also! Just let me know when.

Last edited:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    My hat is off to you Guy, that is a very righteous offer. I would like to shake your hand for this someday. I just hope the offer gets publicity on the news, wouldn't that be something.

An instructor in Texas offered a discount (not free like the awesome Mr. Relford) and got raked over the coals in the media for it. Still sometimes even bad publicity is good publicity.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Quick question. Who does one get authorisation from? Principal, superintendent, or school board?

The superintendent. However, who do you think hires/fires the superintendent? The elected board. The key word is elected. That's where the problem will be in doing this.

The superintendent runs the day to day operations of the district, and is the highest level on this. However, the board makes policy, which guides, empowers, and limits the superintendent. I'll be looking at board policy in my district on this. My hunch is that they have not directly addressed firearms, except in the case of students. If they did, they'd have to make explicit allowance for police officers and security. They'd also have to be consistent with the actual law on the matter.

Superintendents who make decisions that get unwanted attention for the board typically don't last long. (Hell, they typically don't last long, anyway.) The supt would be advised to convince them first, before making that decision, assuming board policy allows him or her to make it.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Guy,
    I'm in the process of speaking with the principal of my children's school and beginning a campaign to convince the Monroe County Community School Corporation that the security of our children is more important than their delicate sensibilities... I will be directing them to you!!!

I hope I can send you some students!

Good luck with Monroe County. :popcorn:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I know where I will be spending my money next time I want training. Passing this thread along to a teacher who I know will do the most with it.

Thank you guy.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Guy,

I said it in another post but this is EXACTLY what is needed! Professionals are defined by taking USEFUL actions when bad things happen. Hopefully the Schools will get on board with this.

Goes without saying I would be honored to help instruct, and certain I can bring a few .mil instructors also! Just let me know when.

Jim - you're a fantastic teacher and I'd love to have you involved- as well as anyone you endorse.

Guy

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I forwarded the offer and links to the Principal and clergy at my local Catholic Church and school. I am confident it has not been dismissed at this level.
    They have spoken and agreed that it was not a decision that could be made locally and are passing it up to the Office of Catholic Education and the dioceses.

I get the feeling you will get little traction with public schools, but I have more hope for private. I will update with any information I receive back.

Thanks for the generous offer and producing an incentive to start a serious conversation about the reality of the gun-free school zone.

AlterEgoJason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    I know other people have said it but I feel the need to as well. Thank you guys for doing this. It is an amazing opportunity to get well trained individuals in schools and help keep our kids safe.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I did a fairly extensive interview about this with Jake Miller of Fox59 this afternoon out at Eagle Creek. It should air during the Fox59 News tonight - although I'm not sure when. (Jake filmed some teasers for it that will be on earlier and should indicate when it will be shown.)

Guy

Edit: Story will air at 6:08.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom