• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Good story. I thought it was typical Hoosier common sense that both Guy and the ISTA dude were both of the opinion that people should be allowed to carry only if they wanted to. Neither "side" was trying to mandate anything.

Gee. Freedom as a solution? Who'da thunk it.

Also, not to hijack this thread, but for people who complain that teachers' jobs are to teach, not to be security, perhaps a reminder of recent history. After 9/11, many commercial pilots were allowed to carry firearms on the plane, as well as other security enhancements. This is no different. Pilots' jobs are to fly the plane. But, should the situation demand it, they may also be faced with having to protect themselves and those in their care. They deserve the best tools with which to do that. (As we all do.) Schools are no different. Along with other security updates, firearms should be part of the discussion.

Oh, and Guy - I'll be sending you an email (probably after Christmas) about my kids' school. ;)

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Ind. Code 35-47-9-1(2) Reads:

(2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function; to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.

IANAL, but the way I read it permission would not be needed from the school board. Its says a person who has been employed by a school.

Guy, can you clarify? You know the written law better than I do.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Ind. Code 35-47-9-1(2) Reads:

(2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function; to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.

IANAL, but the way I read it permission would not be needed from the school board. Its says a person who has been employed by a school.

Guy, can you clarify? You know the written law better than I do.

Yes, it says "employed or authorized" by the "school," but I think it's implicit in the statute that you have to be specifically authorized to possess a firearm on school property. Otherwise, everyone employed by a school - teachers, custodians, etc., could all legally possess a firearm on school property now. I don't think that's the intent of the statute, although it's certainly subject to that interpretation.

The question then becomes how one gets legally authorized by the school. In my mind, I would want written authorization from the highest authority for the school; i.e., the school board. Now, if someone just had a letter from the principal or another administrator - could they still be arrested or prosecuted? Probably not, but I don't believe in taking chances when there's a D Felony involved.

Guy

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Okay, Guy stepped up to the plate, now I will and I challenge everyone else to as well. Guy's offer is INCREDIBLY generous, but I don't think he should bear the full cost of promoting OUR shared rights. This gesture could get expensive if it takes off (I hope it does!), so, I pledge $500 to go directly into a TFT Teacher Training Fund for the first certified graduate of Guy's new course. I'm not saying it has to be a certain amount, but every little bit you can spare will help! Consider this as participating in a meaningful way to bring a positive light to our Natural Right to self defense and possibly saving many innocent lives! :rockwoot:

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Okay, Guy stepped up to the plate, now I will and I challenge everyone else to as well. Guy's offer is INCREDIBLY generous, but I don't think he should bear the full cost of promoting OUR shared rights. This gesture could get expensive if it takes off (I hope it does!), so, I pledge $500 to go directly into a TFT Teacher Training Fund for the first certified graduate of Guy's new course. I'm not saying it has to be a certain amount, but every little bit you can spare will help! Consider this as participating in a meaningful way to bring a positive light to our Natural Right to self defense and possibly saving many innocent lives! :rockwoot:
    You could buy at least 10 Pmags with that kind of cash! (sorry couldn't resist)

Very nice offer!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Fantastic offer! Rep inbound.

Now time for me to do my part. I am also certified to present NRA Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, & Personal Protection Outside the Home. I will volunteer my time to either present the material or assist other instructors.

Anther "soft target" is churches. They often have registered day cares or pre-schools. I will extend this offer to those organizations as well.

I would encourage ot INGOers to get involved as well.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Fantastic offer! Rep inbound.

Now time for me to do my part. I am also certified to present NRA Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, & Personal Protection Outside the Home. I will volunteer my time to either present the material or assist other instructors.

Anther "soft target" is churches. They often have registered day cares or pre-schools. I will extend this offer to those organizations as well.

I would encourage ot INGOers to get involved as well.

Fantastic!! Perhaps we cold join forces and teach some courses for teachers together! In appreciation of your participation, you're also welcome to attend my Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law course any time.

Guy

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Fantastic!! Perhaps we cold join forces and teach some courses for teachers together! In appreciation of your participation, you're also welcome to attend my Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law course any time.

Guy

Mrs. VERT and I both enjoyed attending your Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law Course. We both recommend it to other people. There is so much information that I am sure I will need a refresher.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Guy, you read my mind. Glad I saw this thread.

I will also offer my assistance free of charge. I am NRA Certified in Rifle and Pistol , and PPITH. I will be PPOTH certified as soon as I can. Been trying for a while but our training counselor flaked out on us and stopped returning our calls several months ago. Know of anyone? If not I think I've found a guy near Ann Arbor, Michigan.

-Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    I'd like to chime in to thank Guy and the others who are offering time and/or financial contributions in this way. You represent us well, folks, and I'll be sure to do my part spreading the word.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Guy, you read my mind. Glad I saw this thread.

I will also offer my assistance free of charge. I am NRA Certified in Rifle and Pistol , and PPITH. I will be PPOTH certified as soon as I can. Been trying for a while but our training counselor flaked out on us and stopped returning our calls several months ago. Know of anyone? If not I think I've found a guy near Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Awesome!! Thanks so much! My PPOH counselor was in Romulus, MI. I don't know if he's still doing those courses- it's been a while - but I can check!

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I just posted to my facebook page.

This may be a topic for another thread, but what would be the best way to appoach school administrators about this?

Top Bottom